Space Station 13

by Exadv1
Space Station 13
Stay alive inside Space Station 13
ID:1139529

Keywords: 13, 3d, game, maker, remaster, space, station
Hello, I haven't been with the community long but the appeal to this game is caught up with the lag and lack luster controls. I have intentions of not only re-applying this game with new controls, items, modes and a lag free network system, but to also re-render the game in 3d. For this project I have decided to use Game maker 8 with extensive Dll add on's to bypass the interpreted functions. I was wondering if this sounds like a good idea or if it something to be desired. I'm mostly learning about all the ins and out's of this game so I may adopt them into my project. I only have screen shots for now but in the future would need testers to make sure the functionality is up to par.

http://i49.tinypic.com/dxfyvq.png

http://i45.tinypic.com/348q63o.png
Unless you have experience developing large scale games in 3D and have more than just yourself contributing to the project, then I wouldn't pursue it. Space Station 13 is one of those games that a lot of people really enjoy and want to improve upon, so they set out to remake it in another language. Unfortunately, Space Station 13 is a very large and complex game and these projects end up going nowhere.

Not to say that it isn't possible, of course. You might have a look at Centration, which is an ongoing 3D project that is heavily inspired by Space Station 13. They've made some good progress and might be looking for help.
I love SS13, and if you were to come close to the game's
features, and make it 3D, I'd suggest you'd go to http://www.kickstarter.com/ for financial support, and give yourself the title Chief McAwesome. If you want to make the game really good, with a lot of features, I'd also suggest checking out Unity. It's an awesome 3D game development tool, which, with the free version, you could make a lot with it, aswell. If you do make the game, then I'd suggest to make it 3rd person, seeing as how you can make multiple floors in 3D, and build awesome roofs. You should probobally also get a bigger team than just you. Hell, a small team made Minecraft, and a group of friends developed Slender: The Eight Pages.
The original Roller Coaster Tycoon was written by one man in Assembly.
In response to Warlord Fred
Warlord Fred wrote:
The original Roller Coaster Tycoon was written by one man in Assembly.

I remember that game, it was the first PC game I ever played, Amazing game...
Roller Coaster Tycoon, so much fun to just ride all these people off of a cliff.. Fun memories :)
The screenshots are amazing.
bretty cool.
I like it. Keep working on it! :D
The way you did this looks similar to how they did it in Pokemon 3D.. Cool.
I hope this will turn out to be the free 2Dish version of Centration
Haha, that looks like SS13 as a DOOM wad.
I'd be interested to see how far you get with this.
In response to Dr. Cogwerks
Dr. Cogwerks wrote:
Haha, that looks like SS13 as a DOOM wad.
I'd be interested to see how far you get with this.

Actually it looks alot like wolfinstien 3d
I think its pretty cool what your doin but i dont like first person ss13 the feel of it seems horrible you really need to work hard on this as in this needs to work good but other then that its a good idea and needs a roof itll get annoying to look up and see space all the time