ID:133439

Hey, All the icons are made by dream maker, or atleast haft to go through dream maker, however for anthing with small or detailed area your basicly stuck for help there, so i would suggest adding a minipixel button, its a normal pixel only its the size of 1/4 of a normal pixel, e.g you can fit four of theese inside of one normal pixel. this would make things like mechanics or thigns like that extreemly more easier!

Ty, Rushnut
There is by definition nothing smaller than a pixel. You can make an image in another editor and scale it down with antialiasing, which will cost you some detail, or you can switch to using a bigger icon size and breaking each segment up into atom-sized pieces.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
I know there is nothing smaller than a pixel, i was thinking of the size of a dream maker pixel, another point would be to be able to turn the grid of and freely place pixles, doing circles would be a hellova lot esier xD
In response to Rushnut
A "dream maker pixel?"
What's that?
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
I know there is nothing smaller than a pixel, i was thinking of the size of a dream maker pixel, another point would be to be able to turn the grid of and freely place pixles, doing circles would be a hellova lot esier xD

There is also no such thing as a "Dream Maker pixel"; what you are referring to is the inability to draw icons larger than 32x32. The smaller the icon, the less detail that can be put into it.

If you want to make icons larger than 32x32 or be able to zoom in and out, I suggest using ArtIcons.
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
Rushnut wrote:

There is also no such thing as a "Dream Maker pixel"; what you are referring to is the inability to draw icons larger than 32x32. The smaller the icon, the less detail that can be put into it.

If you want to make icons larger than 32x32 or be able to zoom in and out, I suggest using ArtIcons.

nonono, 32x32, you can fit 32 of the paint slot things, you know the little squares you use to actually make the icons?! there what i mean by pixel -.-
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
nonono, 32x32, you can fit 32 of the paint slot things, you know the little squares you use to actually make the icons?! there what i mean by pixel -.-

So use something bigger than 32x32, increase the map size by the same proportion, then have the map size locked at whatever size so the map is scaled down to 32x32 for the client.
In response to Nick231
IM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE ICON SIZE!!! IM TALKING ABOUT THE PIXEL SIZE FFS LISTEN PEOPLE
In response to Rushnut
You can not change the size of a pixel. A pixel is a pixel, and you can't make it larger or smaller.
In response to Rushnut
Please do not yell.

A pixel is unable to change in size. You are suggesting that they do that. The only thing that you can do is to increase the general size of the image to make certain things look smaller.

George Gough
In response to Rushnut
There is no such thing as modifying pixel size.
There is no such thing as drawing in a pixel.
Pixels are the dots of color that are rendered by your monitor.
You cannot do anything with these other than change the color it will draw there.
You cannot create "minipixels" that will be drawn within these.
In response to Naokohiro
maybe im misunderstanding, when using dream maker to make a icon, you see a checkerd screen and you place squared of color onto it to make ur icon, Thats what i mean by dream maker pixle, now atm you can only place them in the grid, you cant place it freely. thats what im asking for
In response to Rushnut
Still can't be done. That "grid" uses the smallest "particles" a screen can display when shrunk down.
In response to Rushnut
In the intervening months between now and when you originally posted, universal standards on the size of a pixel have still not changed, and a pixel is still a pixel, which can't be made larger or smaller.
In response to Jeff8500
Ah okay, i wasent sure if when using the dream maker it just zoomed in or if when your using dream seeker it just shrinks it.

Btw, the reson i didnt post in months was becuase of internet problems sorry. But it still doesnt answer my question, i dont care about the size anymore as i used to, but when you place a dream seeker pixle, as i call them, you must place iton a co'ord of 1,1 to 32,32. im asking if it was possible to remove that, but still keep the size as 32x32
In response to Rushnut
No. As previously explained, that 1,1 to 32,32 grid is as accurate as the system gets, one dot on that grid is a single pixel, when displayed at the proper size that is as accurate as any PC can get. You can't get smaller than a pixel. A dot must be on that pixel grid, and take up at least a full pixel.
In response to Stephen001
finally a response that i understand xD

Aw thats a dissapointment, the concept of making perfectly circular edges was very appealing, oh well
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
finally a response that i understand xD

I don't think you quite understand.

Aw thats a dissapointment, the concept of making perfectly circular edges was very appealing, oh well

Except you can make "perfectly circular edges".

As has been said, a pixel is a pixel. You cannot magically create a pixel within a pixel or modify the size of a pixel, because this is physically impossible.

You can however increase the amount of pixels available to you. This is done by increasing the size. In the icon editor, you've got a size of 32x32 (32 pixels by 32 pixels). Increasing this will increase the amount of pixels, thus allowing you to make more detailed icons.

Unfortunately, BYOND's built-in icon editor does not support editing icons that have any other size but 32x32. It does however support pasting in icons of different sizes, thanks to 4.0, although these icons must be multiples of 32. (64x64 is acceptable, 64x32 is acceptable, 16x16 is not, 16x32 is not, 65x65 is not, 65x64 is not.)

And as I said before, you can download ArtIcons and give that a go. ArtIcons will allow you to create icons that are larger than 32x32 (or smaller), and you can import them into your .dmi files.

But please remember this: a pixel is a unit of measure. 32x32 refers to the amount of pixels you can use for your icon (1024 in this case). A pixel is immutable, but you can change the amount of pixels available to you.
In response to Android Data
Further to that, if you are using another editor, my understanding is aliasing will colour surrounding pixels such that a curved line will appear smoother to the human eye.
In response to Rushnut
While it would *technically* be possible to do what you're asking, the problem is that if these dots aren't exactly in the grid, they will be blurred when they are shrunk down because they don't *fit* exactly in one pixel, so it'll take more than one (as many as 4) to display that dot in the icon.

If you go into a program like Photoshop and shrink a picture, it loses detail because it has to put all that information into a smaller space. So it combined many dots into one, merging their colors so one pixel is now half-way (or so) between the colors of the dots it just replaced. If you do the opposite, and instead make the picture bigger, it will appear pixelated, because each dot is now made up of many pixels instead of one.

The actual size of pixel never changes. The size of the dots change by how many pixels it takes to display them. The very smallest dot a computer can show is 1 pixel wide and 1 pixel tall. The icon editor represents each pixel as one space in the grid, and therefore since there is nothing that can be smaller than a pixel, there can't be anything 'in-between' the grid spaces, because we can't make anything smaller than a pixel show up on a computer screen.

This jagged edge you're seeing is what is known as aliasing. Because pixels are tiny squares, pictures have to made of tiny squares. If you're using hard colored line at an odd angle (not 90 degrees or 45 degrees), you'll see the steps of each pixel that makes up that line. Artists blur this line by making pixels near and around it blend a little bit with the background. You can do this by changing the color of the edge pixels and their neighbors, or by adjusting their opacity. any smooth lines you see on a computer screen is made up of more than one color, and is slightly blurred into the background. This is anti-aliasing, and is used in just about every graphical rendering system on the planet.

You should google anti-aliasing and pixel art, to get and idea of what's happening at the pixel-level with the smooth circles you're seeing. Then head on over to the BYOND Art Society and practice. ;)