ID:161574

Welcome BYOND! (4.0 Version 417.983)
Logging in...connected
Logged in as Naokohiro.
Connecting to file://C:\Program Files\BYOND\pokémon\pokémon.dmb...BYOND Error: bad world
failed
I read through countless forum entries in this website, and none of them offering the solution to this problem, most of them ending with a post of, "Still not working."
I've tried the various methods such as reinstalling BYOND, and deleting the rsc dmb files and clean compile, but with no results.
I was just working on my game like I normally do, not doing anything out of the ordinary, really, doing stuff I always do.
I compiled the game and it ran, then without altering any of my maps in any way, I try to compile again and when I go to run it I get that error.
I did make a new code file, that may have something to do with it, but I already had a bunch of code files as it is...
This code file is unique probably, though since it is just a var that is defined and is set to a huge chunk of code, which I have done in other code files before with no problems. The other code files have other stuff in them, though.
Anyway, it'd be nice if one of the makers of BYOND could explain what causes that error, anyway, so I can fix it and get back to working on my game, because this stinks...
Thankyou, anyone that can help.

(DON'T REPLY WITHOUT READING THE FULL POST, I don't want useless posts.)
Naokohiro wrote:

Really? Neither do we.
For your problem at hand. Does every compile produce a "bad world" DMB? It would be quite significant if so. Try deleting the DMB and RSC and then re-compiling and testing that DMB.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Naokohiro wrote:

Really? Neither do we.
For your problem at hand. Does every compile produce a "bad world" DMB? It would be quite significant if so. Try deleting the DMB and RSC and then re-compiling and testing that DMB.
I have done that. I fixed the problem, but with consequences. I think I also discovered what might've been causing it.
I deleted the code file I added and then when I compiled and ran it, it worked...
But it's to my dismay that I can no longer add any more code files...
(Which makes me think this should go in bug reports.)
In response to Naokohiro
Actually, I discovered that the error isn't because of how many code files I had, but because of the code I added.
I re-added that code and it still said bad world.
It seems it won't compile correctly if I have a certain amount being defined or something.
Maybe it has to do with something I heard about, a single text var not being able to be longer than 65535 or something...
(Because I definitely bridged that gap with the code that causes the problem.)
In response to Naokohiro
Hm. So you've got some really, really huge text string? That could be a problem. Try splitting it to parts; or better, not even using such a huge string (may I ask why you are?). 65535 would be limit of individual strings, I don't think it's the limit of numbers of characters per string though.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Hm. So you've got some really, really huge text string? That could be a problem. Try splitting it to parts; or better, not even using such a huge string (may I ask why you are?). 65535 would be limit of individual strings, I don't think it's the limit of numbers of characters per string though.

I ended up just putting the text into a file and using file2text() for this problem.
In response to Naokohiro
Indeed a possible solution; but what do you need such a huge text string for? You probably don't really need it, or not in text string form at least.