The Elemental Stone

by Pyro_dragons
The Elemental Stone
An ancient power has been unsealed and mana fuels the world yet again. Can you control the mana and master the elements?
ID:1303960

Here you go. Here's your proof that we're still alive. We're still developing, I just like keeping things under wraps for awhile. Now stop asking about it! XD

Anyway, The Elemental Stone is on it's way back! We've been hard at work completely remaking the game and we're ready to show off some of what we've got. Keep in mind that we are still in the alpha phase and some graphics and mechanics are not 100% complete yet.

We will be hosting an open alpha test phase starting in the evening on Friday, June 28th. Testing will be completely open and anyone is free to join. Please come join us!

Many of the systems that were in place in the previous game will make a return, as well as many new ones. Some of them are already complete, and others are in progress.

One of the new systems that has been added is the class system. There are 8 classes that each have unique skills and abilities outside of the normal elemental spells that anyone can learn. These skills will allow players to play different roles both when playing solo and in parties. The 8 classes are:

Warrior Warlock
Druid Thief
Paragon Reaper
Necromancer Marksman

There will also be professions, dungeons, and even arena progression added in the future. A boss fight will be available as a quest in the alpha test and a video of it will be posted soon!

And now, time for screenshots!

The graphics have been completely redesigned and are an original work. Hence why it's taking so long. XD

One new enemy type follows a "nuisance" AI. They generally keep at a distance, using projectiles to attack. These guys in particular drop a bomb when you get close and flee.

There will be plenty of info ready on screen to avoid having to navigate through lots of pesky menus and windows. Hovering over buffs and debuffs will provide a brief description of their effects and duration.

It will not be uncommon for multiple enemies to gang up on you. Use AOE attacks to strike them down! When you're with other people, the most threatening target will attract the monsters and some classes have skills specifically for gathering monsters.

This is a mock up of a room in a future dungeon that was created to test the tileset and give an example of what's to come.

Again, please keep in mind that this is still early in development and everything is subject to change. The available content is very small at this time.

Please, let us know what you think and, if you can, come join us for the early alpha testing!
Looks pretty awesome. I'd like to test.
In response to Dariuc
Dariuc wrote:
Looks pretty awesome. I'd like to test.

Looks great , where do I sign up ^.^
Testing will be completely open and anyone is free to join.
Nice to see that things are still going well, I got worried between the gap where we exchanged a few words and now.

I'm really excited; I'm busy that day but I'll see if I can make it.
Looks promising! Keep it up! I hope it has some members benefits and maybe other things to get BYOND some revenue from it.
@Lavitiz - Testing will be going on all weekend, at least. You'll be able to play then, if you're free.

@Fugsnarf - It will eventually. There isn't enough content yet to add those sorts of bonuses.
Sweet! I can't wait for it. This game was basically what I played most of the time when I was a kid!
Looks nice, except the color choices and design of the monsters really make it look like a game for young children in comparison to, say, Eternia's art style. Everything is extremely bright and happy looking, especially that teal teletubby in the bottom right, which I'm guessing is the button players click on to open a "character info" window.
can't wait to play it when will we be able to play
The first boss has a few glitches testing has been a blast.
Yut Put wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Looks nice, except the color choices and design of the monsters really make it look like a game for young children in comparison to, say, Eternia's art style. Everything is extremely bright and happy looking, especially that teal teletubby in the bottom right, which I'm guessing is the button players click on to open a "character info" window.

True, but one of my all-time favorite games was and still is Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, which this visual style is moderately derived from, and that was a fantastic RPG.

Yes, his style was derived from that. Good eye! As for the menu sprites, I can agree with what EmpirezTeam said. They do need a revision, but it was not a priority at the time of creation and they were just made quickly.
This should be interesting.
I want to start by saying that this looks absolutely fantastic, and I think you're doing a great job. The art style is, indeed, bright, but it's also very unique and far from having the usual similarities that I often see around here. It reminds me a lot of a few different SNES and GBA Nintendo games, and that is definitely a good thing in my opinion.

I really look forward to seeing how things go with this. The only thing that I think could be improved, judging by the screen shots, is how square the cliff and water corners are. I would really like to see either some more diagonal-like ones replacing some of, if not all of them, or ones that are just a bit less box-like.

This is a pretty trivial thing, though, and it's something I notice really often so don't worry about it too much. I just wanted to mention it because someone did so for me, and eventually it lead me to some good ideas and improvements in how I usually handle edges.

All in all, I am impressed. I don't think I'll be able to make it for the testing, but I hope you find that there aren't too many bugs or issues left for you to squash.
The trees and the grass made me ink all over my computer
I want to play the game
Game alpha starts today right?
yes I think I can't wait to play it
The server is now online! Please bear in mind that much of what you see and what is available is very minimal. This is mainly a test of the mechanics and a teaser of what is to come.
Figured I'd just point this out now, if anyone is curious as to why I went for a more colorful and vibrant graphic style, the first reason is probably the most obvious, it's to make it stand out compared to other games. The other reason however is a bit more interesting in my opinion. Have you played a game like Resident Evil? You see someones head get shot off but it doesn't phase you, why? Because the graphics and tone of the game make you expect it. I however want to make a more colorful and innocent looking game, so when something dramatic happens, it makes a much larger impact with you. A good examples is the boss fight against Zero from Kirby's Dreamland 3. You have this happy colorful game, then suddenly you are fighting this floating eyeball in this nether realm and his pupil bursts out of it's body while trailing blood. The harsh contrast really makes the moment stick out more in my opinion and it's elements like that that I really want to capture in the game through the graphics.
Page: 1 2