ID:1013125

Keywords: castle, lrs, ultimatum
Recently there was a topic about Abandoned Games, and I have to admit it got me thinking quite a bit about old BYOND games.

Most of them were pretty lame for various reasons, but there were a few gems that I've noticed have managed to stick around despite their age and lack of updates. LRS (Last Robot Standing) is the first to come to mind, and though I am less certain about it lacking updates I imagine Castle is still around too.

I'm sure those are only a couple of at least a handful or two. BYOND has changed a lot since those games were designed, and I still feel they're great games, but I cannot help wondering... What if they were made now? What if they were updated now? What if a currently active developer picked a couple of them up?

Then I also wonder how that would even work. I'm sure most of them lack updates because the owners are no longer around, so getting permission could be a problem, and with or without it there could be problems with the community or subscriptions if those are pursued.

I find it all pretty interesting to think about, and I considered running a poll, but really I'd just like to discuss the matter. Is anyone else interested in seeing games like that updated? What do you think the 'rules and limitations' are, or should be on redesigning those games? Do you think it would be better to just make similar games instead of trying to restore something that is not exactly yours?

Your thoughts, opinions, and what not are all welcome. Feel free to mention some other old games, too. Ultimatum came to mind, especially since I haven't seen it hosted in a long time, but I'm not very familiar with its current status and it's more up to date than something like LRS.

In fact... I am still impressed by its interface, even after all of this time.
Castle and LRS are ridiculously easy games to recreate. There's no need someone would need the source - a competent person can have their own version of those games up in no time if they wanted to.

Also, since the person would be making their own game, and not necessarily "Castle 2" or "LRS 2" there would be no need for rules and limitations. I think Xeal was working on his own version of Castle but never finished/published it. He was too busy sending me DDoS threats, haha.
I am actually making a spin-off of LRS since it is my favorite game on BYOND, haha, but unfortunately, it is not made with BYOND. Perhaps if I was writing it in DM, I could have had a playable prototype already, but really, I'm just the kind of person to try new things, and HTML5 is my target right now. That being said, Empirez does have a point--both of the aforementioned games are pretty easy to re-create.
Ah, that's true. They are pretty simple, but oddly enough it often seems to be the simplest games that are the most addictive.

Hm, well BYOND is great for getting a prototype out quickly, but HTML5 should present plenty of its own perks. I'd definitely like to see what you've come up with when that comes out, Magnum2k.

I keep trying to think of some good old games that would be tough to recreate, but now that I think about it most of the older games would be really easy to recreate. At least for the most part. I'm surprised no one else has done it already.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Castle and LRS are ridiculously easy games to recreate. There's no need someone would need the source - a competent person can have their own version of those games up in no time if they wanted to.

Also, since the person would be making their own game, and not necessarily "Castle 2" or "LRS 2" there would be no need for rules and limitations. I think Xeal was working on his own version of Castle but never finished/published it. He was too busy sending me DDoS threats, haha.

I think Gooseheaded was re-creating Castle aswell. LRS is actually maintained (aka, server hosted and such) by the BYOND Staff, so when a BYOND Update breaks LRS, Tom or Nadrew usually take care of it. Theoretically, Nadrew can update LRS to be 'modern'.