Angel Falls

by Teka123
Angel Falls
Fantasy, RPG, Adventure:-Beta - Download available.
I worry that you guys sometimes actually believe the joking you do regarding voicing anything other than a totally positive view on the guy. Or worse, you're setting him up for a big fall without meaning to.

The reason I might be excited about the now defunct Looking Glass Studios announcing a new RPG, with some screenshots or conceptual blurb, is because I've played their previous titles. Not all are great, but on the whole I have enjoyed them and the Thief series in particular I found to be both fun, and very engaging intellectually.

Teka doesn't have that, as a developer. I see a bleach RPG, I guess? (was it any good, I dunno?) That's not really up for me to play, and a Mecha game that didn't seem to even get out of the starting blocks. I'm obviously interested, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered posting in the first place. I'd just like some more information, so I can make a rough judgement call on whether it's worth me watching this game going forward. Particularly as the hub entry makes it sound like the game is in early days so far.
In response to Falacy
Typically for a multiplayer focus I can't find too often in most store-bought RPGs. Usually the story doesn't bite for me, but a pleasant enough mechanic for combat / gaining experience, some rewards that mean a bit in that multiplayer context and easy / natural partying will do it.

The store bought RPG usually tells a much richer story, benefit of their budget, skills and medium for telling it. But sometimes that's about all they do.
This game was previously hosted publicly, many of these people may have tried it in the past. Even if they haven't, there is no reason not to show blind support for a BYOND developer, since as long as they release any product whatsoever, it will pretty much be on par with any other BYOND game. Just look at that newish Eternia game; They spent years in development, thousands of dollars on art, and in the end, the game just turned out to be an RP chatroom like everything else on BYOND.

You asking why somebody would play a BYOND game instead of a store-bought RPG is an indefensible point. Though I would say true turn based RPGs, developed by major companies, are completely dead at this point anyway - the last/only one I can remember being made recently was FF13, and it was terrible. Depending on what you consider an "RPG" though, (its not like this game is turned based either), there are plenty of games out recently that would blow the entirety of BYOND combined out of the water. AC3, Halo4, Diablo3 or Torchlight2, if you're looking for a good multiplayer RPG, then I would recommend GW2 https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/
Remember byond isnt that advanced ... the old saying once again appears ... "You get what you get but you dont get upset or something like dat"...??? so you get byond dont expect to make an Call of duty out of it. The major reason i quit byond is because the games are boring. Most of the games dont have a story like halo there graphics aint like Cod. you can make a 256x256 image in dream maker and thats the maximum unless u edit from a diffrent application. not to mention the image be laggy. but in halo im sure the images are more den 256x256. The point is the reason Halo torchlight AC3 and all dat is better is because byonds dream maker isnt that advanced

So angel falls is average byond game ... so deal with it
That was sort of the point; those games are better, so why would you play a BYOND one instead? However, it has very little to do with graphics, and far more to do with gameplay. Minecraft textures are only 32x32, graphics from something like Angry Bird would be technically possible in BYOND, that BYOND game Eternia (that I mentioned in my previous post) actually looks fantastic as far as graphical quality/style goes; the problem is that moving around in full 32x32 tiles, at 10 FPS, using the arrow keys (or worse the numpad), and generally just right clicking on things for a gray text popup to interact makes for low quality slow paced unresponsive uninteresting gameplay.
Not to mention the rips the anime games with same plots nothing "unique" in Byond there all DBZ Fight Frieza get Super Saiyan Become number 1
First of all, got to say I'm looking forward to the game, Teka.^^

I agree with Falacy though, that compared to console and handheld games from major companies... the games developed through Dream Maker just aren't at the same level. Graphical wise, BYOND may have a chance against the handheld games... but, most of them have a story(It may not be a good one, but still...). BYOND games seem to lack that, most of the time. In terms of MMO's, or simple browser based games... I've seen some with better graphics and gameplay than 75% of the games on BYOND.

However, there is one point that Falacy isn't mentioning. Most of the developers on BYOND create games as a hobby, while these companies that focus primarily on games... put more work, money, and advertising into their creations, due to the simple fact that they make a profit, which in all honesty... far outweighs the feeble amounts you could make with a "Top-notch" BYOND game.
In response to Falacy
I happen to be a Guild Wars 2 player, was on the beta for it and quite enjoyed it. Definitely agree with you there, it ticks a fair few of my multiplayer RPGish boxes.

I feel you've perhaps missed the mark though, about where I'm getting at in my posts. I'm not asking why people in general might play it over a store-bought RPG, I have some assumptions why already, and indeed, have listed some as you asked. And sod it, people will (and are) make their own judgements on whether the game is worth their time, regardless of whether I'd asked or not. That's good for them, I'm glad they will do that. I'm not really asking for their sake.

I'm asking for more information if possible, for me, so I can get a measure of if this game is worth watching more closely for me. Because currently the screenshots aren't really doing a lot for me, to give me a taste of what this is about. Which ... might just be because it's early days yet, might just be he didn't think to share the kind of information I'm asking after.

Maybe Teka or some other developer for this game will swing by and have a crack at answering my questions, maybe they won't, and I'll just have to wait and see. But definitely, if I don't pose the questions in the first place, I'm definitely not getting any clarification.
Errgh, you guys do nothing but give me a headache, if you want the quality that you would usually get from a store bought game then guess what? Go to a f*****g store and buy one.
In response to King-manga-man
King-manga-man wrote:
Errgh, you guys do nothing but give me a headache, if you want the quality that you would usually get from a store bought game then guess what? Go to a f*****g store and buy one.

Don't worry, Stephen just needs a little kick to get going. He needs the help.
Who said anything about the quality (graphical, story, whatever) of a BYOND game versus store bought?

I asked what the hook was, why I'd play this over a store bought RPG.

There's plenty there that's got nothing to do with graphical or story quality, that could still make me login to this game, and not Guild Wars 2, for a few evenings. But at the moment, I ain't got a clue what this game is, aside from an RPG. Hence I asked.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
Who said anything about the quality (graphical, story, whatever) of a BYOND game versus store bought?

I asked what the hook was, why I'd play this over a store bought RPG.

There's plenty there that's got nothing to do with graphical or story quality, that could still make me login to this game, and not Guild Wars 2, for a few evenings. But at the moment, I ain't got a clue what this game is, aside from an RPG. Hence I asked.

Click the "Play Now" button, then.
What, the button that isn't there? I can give it a try if you'd like.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
What, the button that isn't there? I can give it a try if you'd like.

Exactly. Have fun.
Ok change of pace!

Thanks for the support guys, Also thanks for showing interest Stephen and thank you everyone else in general. Well i posted this before i went to bed and i work 6-6 mon-fri so i didn't get a chance to defuse this.. debate. :) And i was a little confused how a Byond game would compare to any Store-bought RPG's but i can give you a run down on the game that's for sure.

I think this game will be good, because i like it and im going to keep adding things that i like, so if no one else does, that wont be very good, but this game is for me and i will enjoy it, i can only hope like minded people will too for at least one aspect.

I don't really see how this game could grab your attention Stephen since you do like the intellectual theme, and i don't know if i'm capable of anything intellectual.

Currently the game is missing a lot of what i want, and i'm the only person to blame for that.
but what we do have is:

Simple and easy combat system, you hit anything within reach of your sword.

It uses pixel movement and combines up and down to move diagonal for easy movement.

Tons of hidden places, Which i plan to add a lot more of besides: Narnia, Wonderland, Mutant Turtle Sewers, Atlanta.

Reference's to outside sources may be found in my own unique outlook as well as familiar memes.

Portal systems scattered around the map for fast travel once you unlock a location.

Optional PVP but mainly PVM.

Fun, Thats my goal, where things like plant's and even ducks can kill you.

A Good and Evil system where you become either Angel or Demon and you progressively become even more evil or good.

Four classes Mage/Warrior/Druid/Thief

Fishing, Collecting butterfly wings, finding treasure chests.

Tier gear from wood-iron-steel-silver-gold-mithril-adamanite.

You start the game before God and are judged. With a clean slate you discover who you are and make a new destiny.

Over sized unique and strange monsters.

What i plan to add:
Wood cutting, Fire makeing and Farming and Underground mining.

The game needs it's Quest storyline implemented and cut scenes improved.

Being able to purchase your own house have your own chest to store your items and re-decorate your house from a furnisher.

Beast Book, To gather details about monsters you have defeated and display their statistics and weaknesses.

Classes to be able to advance to: Warlock/Wizard - Berserker/Templar - Shaman/Sage - Rogue/Assassin

Element system so that various elements have pro's and con's against each other.

Being able to improve Gear with specific stat/element gems.

More skills, places to explore, Titles to gain,

Class related Guild houses where you can train, get unique items learn things and most importantly get a majority of your non story line quests.

Being able to trade, follow people, party and invite to your house.

There is more which is in game, and more than i plan to add but i hope this is adequate for now.

damn it angels in wonderland is dat possible can u tell us the story of the game or is it one of those become number 1 games
Lol my game is a fun game - for me :D I don't have a clue what other people will think of it. But i will not reveal the main story that makes the world that this game is in possible :)
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I'm loving the shiny bullet points.

But basically, this game is Battle of Evermore with some Runescape thrown in. Not sure if you guys played that or not, but you run around, kill stuff, level up, and kill stronger stuff... pretty much the same thing you do in every other RPG in existence. I'm not sure what else there is to explain.
I made them especially for that reply ET :D lol and yes I guess you are right, after all BoE was my fav most simplistic Byond game which I hoped would get updated and somehow led me to my game but hopefull my game will have a lot of special things
Page: 1 2 3 4