ID:1051299

I've been trying to use the preload_rsc var to see if it would benefit a project I'm working on that is in alpha. I've tried setting it to a direct rsc, and a zipped rsc, with the latter being used exactly like the documentation in the DM Reference.

In either case, the game started in text mode, and I was forced to shut down the game and upload the .rsc to the shell. I'm not sure if it's a problem or related, but in both attempts I hosted the rsc file on my Byond Membership storage. I also had it set to hidden, but I doubt the hidden bit is important because I've used that before on other game downloads and it worked fine.

So, my question is simple; what am I doing wrong? what needs to be done to try this? Naturally, this is my first time using preload_rsc so please forgive me if my mistake is simple or obvious.
The fact that you are getting text mode makes me think the files aren't even being downloaded at all, a good test would be upload the zip to the shell (defeats the purpose I know but this is a test) and preload_rsc with that address and see if it works.

Using BYOND's membership storage isn't a great idea you could try Dropbox or something like that.

[EDIT] on another note are you uploading the .rsc file to the shell also along with the .dmb? it'll need that if the download fails it sets the preload to 0 and will try to download from the server instead as a fail safe. the shell won't load many things, so it'll stay in text mode.
Since it goes to text mode, I assumed it was defaulting to 0 as well. That's why I shut down and uploaded the .rsc, as I mentioned above. The download has to be failing somehow, but I don't see how. I'm fine with keeping the .rsc on the shell, but I've been trying to get this working without it so I know it's only using it as a fail safe which is currently not the case.

Would Mediafire be an acceptable alternative for downloading it? Also, could the file being on my BYOND storage be why the download fails?
You need a system that can allow the file download straight off the server without any human interaction so captchas and wait times are a no no.

Can you post the link to the download the preload is using? have you tried to access that via a browser? hidden files work fine so I don't see why it's not working (you might want to paste the code you are using).

As my edit states try uploading the zip the preload is grabbing to the shell change the preload location and see if that works.
client
perspective = EDGE_PERSPECTIVE
set mouse_opacity 0
preload_rsc = "http://files.byondhome.com/Toddab503/FRR_rsc.zip"

That is what I was using last time I tested it. I haven't tried the browser, never crossed my mind since I've not ever had trouble with the downloads before.

I'll try uploading the zip to the server as soon as I can, but can't right this minute.
Error: could not find file 'FRR_rsc.zip' for user Toddab503.

Return to BYOND Members
Wow... Did not expect that. Now I feel stupid, haha. It never crossed my mind to check the download link since I haven't ever had a problem before.

Thanks. I'll try to find some other place to upload the file.
Dropbox is a good alternative.