ID:1054627

I am trying to make a website for a new game coming up to promote it, even include stuff on it that would show up in-game as well, so they wont have to start the game up every time just to check stuff...

Or if BYOND's website is down, check their medals, medals left to get, etc...

The problem is I know nothing about authentication, blocking stuff to some & not others, and providing other info regardless if anybody is logged in/authenticated.

I want to use BYOND's authentication, if possible, if not directly possible the only work-around I know is make a server on BYOND, which makes an account, which would be used on the website, the game where authentication would've already happened to join it at all, and there-for would be linked to a new account...with a new username/password that they'd have to remember, which is not what I want, I don't want to give them a new username/password to have to remember.

Even if I did do it that way, I don't know how to work any authentication using any methods, so I want to know if someone knows how.
You're doing it backwards. Game first, then website. Not website then game.

"He who prioritize development has high chance of finish game." - Confucius
In response to EmpirezTeam
The game is already mostly done, going through closed beta testing & now I am trying to work on a website for it, I got the whole idea for the layout & the interaction between the game & the website itself to get any data exchanged between them, now I need it so I can do the account system to restrict what I need restricted to certain people, by allowing them logging on in the website.

The game is in a complete stage(beta-testing is for bug-testing & fine-tuning stuff which may not be all that good), the website itself is complete except for logging in & blocking access to view of specific data unless the person is logged in & meant to view it.

---I was never trying to make a website before the game is even half-way done or maybe not even started...

Anyways you seem to assume everything cost money, I got plenty of services which have many different capabilities free of charge even, some even have security such as logons & everything, but they look like it must be typed out a username & password explicitly manually, which is un-desirable, i'm trying to figure out what services I need from a web-host to make a login system like BYOND, or authenticate someone using their BYOND logon, and just using that instead of a new account linked to BYOND.

When I figure out what I need on the host level & find one then I am going to find a web-designer who knows how to set things up, or try to, and have him make the account creation system, linking, retrieving the data shown on the website, whatever...if I don't find one or I find it relatively easy to do alone, I will try & do it, and make the website work myself.

Anyways I have seen websites with large amounts of storage free, bandwidth, php, MySQL, and more...
My use case is authenticate people in any way as being a specific person on BYOND, I was thinking if they join a game, they are authenticated so at that point they could create an account, usable on my website from within the game.

However if it's possible to authenticate using BYOND's login system I don't need a secondary account that is linked with their BYOND account, which the secondary account would be just to ensure they are who they say they are, to modify things or see certain things on my own website.

---Anyways if PHP with cURL is required for any login system regardless of how it's done(through BYOND or new accounts linked to their BYOND account) to not have to manually input account information for users on my website, allow automated account creation, or just allow for general authentication, then I will have to learn.

I don't have someone to help me yet so I am trying to add authentication to my site & only allow specific people to view certain things when logged into the associated account.
Well im glad your all a guru of things but my knowledge extends no further than design & viewing of pages in general, not locking out access, there are many things I don't know how to program to do.

Those things include any form of authentication, cookies(to keep them logged in), sending post requests, determining the response to see if it was valid, securely send the information & try & keep it secure for entry itself too, and also keeping persistency between web pages so it knows who is logged in, their byond keys name, as well as logging out(clearing cookies involved) as well so that they can login as someone else...

I assume all this kind of stuff is needed, but as far as doing it, I have no idea what i'm doing, I am searching for someone who knows & understands what is involved, nobody yet, but sadly myself I don't have any idea where to start.