ID:106935

Everything I have to say about today's site changes can be summed up with this:

(Click for a larger version)

I'm looking forward to the future of BYOND in 2011. With creative original games like Fused Finale and Casual Quest finally getting a chance to stand out from the fray and be noticed, all of you should be excited as well.
Here's one I prepared earlier? Lolol.
Anime games will rise again!! /ignorance

*makes an anime flag and puts it on his back*
Paranoia
I agree. Many Big Original RPG'S are planned for this year by many competent developers. .... And how about another BYOND Podcast.
Kingstone99 wrote:
And how about another BYOND Podcast.

I'm hoping to create another podcast in the near future, just as soon as I can get my co-host to stop flaking out on me ;)
Off topic but, something is wrong with both of your CSS's. You have a bar above the upper menu, unless it is intended.
The switch-over is seeming to be pretty peaceful right now. But I think it's going to take the anime kids another 12 hours or so for the changes to really set in for them.

Y'know. Since they're too stupid to function.
@Jaredoggy

No actually there in bed, there's school.
Jaredoggy wrote:
Y'know. Since they're too stupid to function.

Indeed. I expect mass angst from the anime kiddies once they realize that all of their little "rips" aren't going to be listed anymore.

Stuff like this just warms my heart: http://www.byond.com/members/ Yusuke13?command=view_post&post=106940
Heil Original Games! Let the Anime Games burn to the ground in despair!

2011 is the Year of the Rabbit, but for us it is the Year of the Original!

:) I cried when I saw the sight >..> Except there is like this Brasil Naruto game on the front page. Until it is removed I cannot live in peace.
I approve highly of the Feval squirrel, being typically smug with explosions in the background. I hate that woodland critter, I really do.
Agree with this 100%.

I hope that it inspires some people to actually pursue the creation of original games.
I personally am happy seeing the anime rips go away. People shouldn't put fangames down though if the game has all coding done by the dev team and they did the design work themselves (aside from what was used from the original game ie graphics, sound, names, etc). Any project that the programmer didn't do the majority of the work should not be displayed on the website. Players should be able to come and see high quality games and original games. Games like Causal Quest should be seen right away when a new player logs into byond, not some Dragonball game that has another 300 versions of it. I am happy to see original games get their time to shine and I welcome the challenge that now my game must complete with. It will only lead to more high quality games being seen.
Youngj52032 wrote:
http://www.byond.com/games/?sort=live Jokes on you

We'll have to see about getting that particular link changed so that featured games go first, but it's not a big deal. I'm pretty darn happy that when BYONDers old and new visit the games page, they'll alway see something like this: http://files.byondhome.com/SilkWizard/jokesonyou.jpg

...You'll never see a fan game featured like that on BYOND anymore.

Dpheonix7 wrote:
People shouldn't put fangames down though if the game has all coding done by the dev team and they did the design work themselves (aside from what was used from the original game ie graphics, sound, names, etc).

Ah, but most fan games are indeed "rips" - they're just stealing from someone who has no knowledge of BYOND.

You recently posted about Shadows of Erdrick, so I'll use that as an example. That game epitomizes my problems with BYOND Fan Games: they are often not fan games at all, but are made by people who are too lazy to create their own graphical assets and who want to reel in players with a recognizable name.

Shadows of Erdrick is not a Dragon Warrior game by any definition: it just happens to use a bunch of DW assets that are haphazardly thrown together. It doesn't play like a DW game, it does read like a DW game, and despite using the sprites it certainly doesn't look like a DW game. Take away the title, sprites and music and no one would ever mistake it for Dragon Warrior.

I am all for fan games if they are done right, but I really haven't seen many on BYOND that fall into that category. Regardless, I don't believe that they should be featured.
SoE isn't what I call a true fangame and falls under a list of games I believe should have their fan elements removed. Final Fantasy The Hunting Grounds and Online both fit this list.
You should know that a true fangame isn't easy to make as you are trying to follow the guidelines the original game set. They should still get their space to be seen if they are done well, but yes, only original games should be featured.
Fangames do bring in a good amount of players to byond. They may see a game they are familar with and go on to byond to play it, but if they keep seeing original games they will start playing those.
Now there are some fangames that are known by the creators of the original source and they have said the game is fine under certain guidelines. SoE by far is not one of those games and is not a game I'm going to protect to any degree. It is a poorly coded game and does not stay true to it's roots.
War of the Magi will be a stepping stone in building a new player community that hopefully will stay around when project X comes back into light. It will be the last fangame I design as I feel now there is enough interest in byond to actually put a team together to make an original style game. And no, you have not inspired me to do so or has the new byond.

But in conclusion. I'm backing games like Causal Quest. War of the Magi won't need to be a featured game as it has the Final Fantasy aspect going for it and a system that stays true to it's source (though I would love for it to have it's own graphic and music, a fangame by name and concept only).
SilkWizard wrote:
Youngj52032 wrote:
http://www.byond.com/games/?sort=live Jokes on you

We'll have to see about getting that particular link changed so that featured games go first, but it's not a big deal. I'm pretty darn happy that when BYONDers old and new visit the games page, they'll alway see something like this: http://files.byondhome.com/SilkWizard/jokesonyou.jpg

...You'll never see a fan game featured like that on BYOND anymore.

Dpheonix7 wrote:
People shouldn't put fangames down though if the game has all coding done by the dev team and they did the design work themselves (aside from what was used from the original game ie graphics, sound, names, etc).

Ah, but most fan games are indeed "rips" - they're just stealing from someone who has no knowledge of BYOND.

You recently posted about Shadows of Erdrick, so I'll use that as an example. That game epitomizes my problems with BYOND Fan Games: they are often not fan games at all, but are made by people who are too lazy to create their own graphical assets and who want to reel in players with a recognizable name.

Shadows of Erdrick is not a Dragon Warrior game by any definition: it just happens to use a bunch of DW assets that are haphazardly thrown together. It doesn't play like a DW game, it does read like a DW game, and despite using the sprites it certainly doesn't look like a DW game. Take away the title, sprites and music and no one would ever mistake it for Dragon Warrior.

I am all for fan games if they are done right, but I really haven't seen many on BYOND that fall into that category. Regardless, I don't believe that they should be featured.

Zoom in and you will see a giant 10 next to the players icon

EDIT: This proves that front page means absolutely nothing
Do the anime kiddie "I'm going to quote a whole wall of text for this short reply" thing again and I'll ban you just to save myself the headache :P

Youngj52032 wrote:
Zoom in and you will see a giant 10 next to the players icon

Even if that number never changes after I start to market the game outside BYOND, I still earned every last player in NEStalgia. There isn't a single anime game on BYOND that earned its players: take away the title and you'd see zeros next to all of them, because the games themselves are embarrassingly bad.

Not only did I earn my players, I earned quite a bit on subscriptions - about a 60% conversion rate for people who play for more than 5 hours. I'll take 10-20 players online and a couple thousand dollars in my bank account over "owning" an anime rip any day!
You tell em Silk!
Page: 1 2