Sounds cool, Silk Ftw.

anyway i like you work silk.

Now that you've put a date to it, you better make some magic happen next month because you know everyone will be watching. And the moment you screw up and it looks like your marketing push flops, Neblim, Zaole, Masterdan and the rest of your enemies will be all over your ass like red on a tomato.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Now that you've put a date to it, you better make some magic happen next month because you know everyone will be watching. And the moment you screw up and it looks like your marketing push flops, Neblim, Zaole, Masterdan and the rest of your enemies will be all over your ass like red on a tomato.

I agree. This actually speaks to a broader topic of how people choose to live their lives in general.

Many people are so scared of failure or rejection that they never try to accomplish something in the first place. It's easy to look at all the things that could go wrong and get overwhelmed. For some, the fear of looking bad or being embarrassed in front of others is even worse.

Far too many people fall into that trap. The worst mistake that a person can make is to never try at all. There is absolutely no shame in trying and failing, especially if you give something your best effort.

If my marketing efforts fail, then so be it. I've never regretted my failures; my only regrets are the times that I didn't give myself the opportunity to fail or succeed in the first place.
I do wonder if it's a national attitude thing. In the UK there tends to be a very positive attitude to "having a go", and failing is not seen as all that bad. The US seems a fair bit more competitive than that.
Since you are so against fan games why not remove DWO from the hub?
Dpheonix7 wrote:
Since you are so against fan games why not remove DWO from the hub?

I think you're missing the whole point of this post.

Copyright actually matters, and it seems like none of the dumbass fangame owners or players are able to truly grasp that.

In regards to DWO, we never had any delusions about it having the limits that are inherent of fan games- such as not being able to make money off of it. And we were completely fine with that, unlike so many other fangame creators who take money off-site, or "donations" that magically happen to coincide with receiving in-game boosts.

Silk also emailed Enix almost ten years ago to basically ask for permission to do the project, and they said it was fine. I dare any other fan game creator on this site to be able to make a similar claim.

That is what sets DWO apart from the rest of the crowd.

But really discussing DWO is irrelevant. If it were still being actively developed today, everyone here at Silkgames would be perfectly content with the site changes.

Because they make sense.
I like the site changes. If a developer actually takes the time to tell the source they are using the material, credits the source, and asks for no money in anyway, then that game is ok. Most fangames I have seen don't break the money rule, but alot never do credit their source. I always make sure to credit the source and I have contacted Square Enix about using their property.
But my point is Silk's attitude. He is coming off very negative over this. He shouldn't be in sense attacking fangames but maybe trying to inspire people to make more original games instead.
Dpheonix7 wrote:
But my point is Silk's attitude. He is coming off very negative over this. He shouldn't be in sense attacking fangames but maybe trying to inspire people to make more original games instead.

Some of us have attitudes because of how negative the opposition is. There are so many idiots calling this situation "the end of BYOND" or saying this is the dumbest decision Tom has ever made. They even went as far as spamming pager messages to people asking them to try and protest or something.

The fact is if they don't like the website anymore, absolutely no one is stopping them from taking their game and their community to another website. Instead, they remain here as if someone is begging them to stay and they rant and throw tantrums about one of the best changes to happen to BYOND in years.

Besides, Hell will freeze over before you can get to some of these fan-game owners and convince them to make an original quality game. Morons will be morons.
Well I believe you on the morons running around Byond. But it looks bad when we have original game designers attacking communities. That doesn't seem like a way to attract players.
No-one sees this blog, basically. This blog (along with the entire blog front page) nets perhaps 10% of site traffic, and an even smaller proportion of new visitor traffic, as the content is inherently un-interesting to new site visitors, who came here to play games in all probability.

Hence the community section can be such a cess-pool at times in terms of both post and comments, and it's net effect on BYOND's visitor count is zilch. Blog posts are pretty much a way of contacting established members of the community, and that's about it.

Silk Games pays it creedance because members have paid $18 for a membership, and may like to also pay a little money for a subscription on a game they like. As best I can tell, it's one of a number of avenues they can use to drum up a little bit of interest and revenue.
Stephen001 wrote:
Blog posts are pretty much a way of contacting established members of the community, and that's about it.

Exactly. A good example of this was the NEStalgia release. For all of the blog posts I had made leading up to it, probably less than 5% of the people who logged in during the first week even knew that the Silk Games blog existed.

Heck, the only reason that I bother with the Silk Games members page is because I do want to have some sort of blog for the game, and that one is there and ready to go. New players certainly aren't going to be reading it unless I point them right to it.

So yeah, like you say, none of these pro/anti fan game rants are going to be seen by new BYONDers anyway. I've personally joined the fray on this issue because I like defending the obvious and undeniable truth... not to mention the pleasure I get out of rubbing the salt in the well deserved wounds of idiot fan game creators throwing tantrums.
Stephen001 wrote:
I do wonder if it's a national attitude thing. In the UK there tends to be a very positive attitude to "having a go", and failing is not seen as all that bad. The US seems a fair bit more competitive than that.

One of Australia's most common sayings is "give it a go" (and the equally prominent "fair go"). I've heard the term "give it the old college try" come out of the US however.

As for the actual topic, I'm inclined to agree with Silk, and I'm getting pretty tired of all this BS popping up from kids claiming that BYOND is becoming "Pay to use" or "dying from this mistake". It's a pity that people who are generally full of such crap, tend to stay that way for a long time. And will continue to believe this crap well after BYOND strikes it big time. =/
Dragon Warrior? You don't have a problem with fan games, you have a problem with anime games, and even then, probably only with bad anime rips. You aren't processing the situation properly.
Also, try steps 1-2.5 with any game, you would most likely get those same results. Unlike BYOND, those platforms have actual standards.
And, as I pointed out in some other post you made, this isn't the real world, we're on the internet. Go be condescending somewhere else.
NEStalgia really is under your skin, isn't it Falacy? I barely even knew that you existed a month or two ago, and now you show up in half of the conversation threads that I'm a part of just to bang your head against the wall in frustration. (This post is almost 2 months old, by the way).

Falacy wrote:
And, as I pointed out in some other post you made, this isn't the real world, we're on the internet.

...Are you like 11 years old? Is the internet some magical land where laws, reason, and morality don't exist?

I found out the other day that you make money off of transactions on your embarrassingly bad DBZ game. Shall we experiment with your theory that the internet "isn't real" and have you call up Namco Bandai's legal department to make them aware of your little enterprise? If I wasn't worried about them sending a C&D to Tom and the BYOND website as a whole, I'd have done it myself already.

If NEStalgia continues to grow exponentially and/or if another original BYOND game or two hits it big, Tom is eventually going to hire himself a lawyer to help manage things. The first thing that lawyer will advise him to do is to delete every unapproved fan game that has ever existed on BYOND from his web servers. Games like yours where illegal transactions are being made will be the first to go.

The funny thing is that for you that would actually be a lucky ending. Worst case scenario, you'll end up settling a major lawsuit for tens of thousands of dollars and scrambling to take out a second mortgage on your house to cover it (plus the legal fees).
http://www.angelfire.com/hero/straygames/SubscriberInfo.html

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/straygames/Subscribe.html

I got those pages directly off of DBZ:HU. Didn't BYOND used to delete hubs for stuff like that?
Falacy felt the need to raise hell over absolutely nothing in a 2-month old blog post because he's mad about his recent curb stomping.

And he calls ME the stalker.
PerfectGoku wrote:
It's ironic that you used a picture of Goku that didn't have a tail.

lol
I'll rather play some anime fan crap than your poorly pixeled shitty "original" game.
Dark Lord Sauron wrote:
I'll rather play some anime fan crap than your poorly pixeled shitty "original" game.

lol, you do realize they intended to make it look retro right?
EmpirezTeam wrote:
lol, you do realize they intended to make it look retro right?

You think that would make a change in my opinion? Retro was always crap. Games like Decadence clearly highlight how much fun you can add to a 2-D game made via dream maker, too bad the player count is so low :(....
Anyways back to the point retro sucks, NEStalgia makes me puke
nuff said

Page: 1 2 3