ID:107929

Keywords: bryant, kobe, trade
There has never been another player more overrated in the NBA than Kobe Bryant. With the Lakers struggling against the elite teams in the league, GM Mitch Kupchak can trade the person with the highest perceived value to actual value ratio for building blocks for the future and today. Consider the following:

1) Bryant has a $24M salary this year. This allows plenty of room for trade matching.

2) Bryant is 32 years old and has over 1000 games in a position where knee and ankle health are of primary concern.

3) Bryant nearly single handedly unclutched the Lakers to an improbable game seven loss to a Perkins-less Celtics by hoisting shot after unclutch shot. His most recent games are highlighting this problem.

If I were the Lakers, I'd pounce on any deal that included any one of the following:

Derrick Rose (PG with elite scoring ability)
Rajon Rondo (PG with elite defense and passing)
Carmelo Anthony (SF/SG younger, better version of Bryant)
Deron Williams (PG with great all around)

They could probably get a player in addition to any of the ones stated, actually.
I believe Ron Artest is going to get traded because he's putting up career low numbers.
CauTi0N wrote:
They could probably get a player in addition to any of the ones stated, actually.

In terms of salary matching, yes of course. Unfortunately, the Bulls, Celtics, nor Nuggets have big expiring contracts on their books, so those probably wouldn't happen at all. But, the Jazz would probably put in Kirilenko's big contract with Williams. Kirilenko is definitely aging, but with Bynum out again with a knee problem, he would be a pretty nice replacement.
Youngj52032 wrote:
I believe Ron Artest is going to get traded because he's putting up career low numbers.

Ron Artest has nearly no value because, as you mentioned, he's putting up career low numbers. No team wants that and the 3 years/$22 million left on his contract.

Well, maybe some Jerry West run club might do it...

I think Kobe has a no-trade clause that he used to great effectiveness back in 2006 or so when he was crying to get out of town (but only to a great team). This later led to the Gasol heist. NBA action is fix-tastic.
Bootyboy wrote:
Youngj52032 wrote:

Ron Artest has nearly no value because, as you mentioned, he's putting up career low numbers. No team wants that and the 3 years/$22 million left on his contract.

Well, maybe some Jerry West run club might do it...

You never know...probably just the team...

My team, the Bulls, would never trade Rose for an aging Kobe. We are doing great without him, all we need is a decent two guard. This is why I am against Melo coming here, he'd tear our near perfect team apart.

Boston is also aging, Rondo will most likely be their future and recruiting piece.

LA would not want a player for half of a season. We all know Melo wants to be a Knick.

Utah wouldn't want an aging Kobe. They see how much LA is struggling, they'd be in worse shape.

Overall, LA should have traded Kobe when he demanded it a few years ago. He's still a good player, but he does not have many years. Also, if there were a lockout due to the CBA, could Kobe even return to stardom with one year off?