Guardians

by Falacy
Battle alongside your allies in an effort to defend loot from hordes of monsters!
How come whenever I join in the bottom left corner it only says "Deploying Troops", How come the Troop tabs won't appear? Am I missing something? Someone please tell >.<
Falacy wrote:
I may also make them drop potions which grant various effects. I'll post (more?) about it in my Dev News article on Friday.

Whar's it at? You can't be late with it already now :P
Ganing wrote:
You can't be late with it already now :P

Sure I can, its already a week late to begin with.
Finally, after 8 hours, my new highscore is set!
And after three hours, it was taken down again. How dissapointing.
Players need the damn ability to take themselves off the leader board. Look at my site for the full reason. http://www.byond.com/members/ NanoMan2?command=view_post&post=111524#comments
Nobody is going to get banned from BYOND for hacking. If I decide to care enough, then I can easily implement systems to prevent it, but its only a server sided problem to begin with, and the scoreboard is supposedly bugged anyway. EDIT: Scoreboard should be fixed now.
Another option would to just make it that only the server hosted by The Planet can record onto the scoreboards.
Well that's lame, get to wave 271 and then my computer crashes.

I was going for wave 1,000 D:.
DANG it shut down on me on wave 323
One day I'll get up there and do it too...
IT IS MAGNIFICENT
LOLOL :x
Love it! But no one is on when I come on D:
Tensa Soul wrote:
But no one is on when I come on D:

There's somebody on right now =P
And you can always just play alone, and/or invite friends!
Falacy wrote:
Tensa Soul wrote:
But no one is on when I come on D:

There's somebody on right now =P
And you can always just play alone, and/or invite friends!

Playing alone gets boring, after a while.

"Friends" leave when they cannot clear a wave :/

Overall it's a lot better than Gold Guardians. Showing the range of units is very helpful, having breaks between waves is good too.

Is there a way to unselect the unit type you have selected to build? Can units be selected and moved?

The tooltips to describe units ends up positioned outside of the game window.

The display area is hard to see to begin with because it's small (the icons aren't stretched), when it gets darker its very hard to see.

It took me a while to realize that my avatar can attack. That seems to trivialize the early game so I have no idea how money should be spent - I don't know what units or upgrades are effective because my avatar does most of the killing.

The map is very simple. It doesn't really allow for strategic placement of units like in other TD games.

Graphically it's a lot nicer looking than Gold Guardians, but the squire icon and player avatar icons don't fit in. Everything else has solid black outlines, the old squire icon was better. I'm not sure why the grid overlay would be on by default.

The audio doesn't seem to fit the game.

Health bars would be nice. If I sit and watch to see who is getting weak, I can't do much with my avatar.
Forum_account wrote:
Is there a way to unselect the unit type you have selected to build?
Right click

Can units be selected and moved?
Technically, no. However, if you sell troops that are at 100% HP, you get their full value back.

The tooltips to describe units ends up positioned outside of the game window.
Should only happen if you don't have the game maximized. Running winget() on each tooltip wouldn't work. Though, I suppose I could do unattached periodic checks for the main window's position.

The display area is hard to see to begin with because it's small (the icons aren't stretched), when it gets darker its very hard to see.
That's the first time I've had that complaint, usually its that the map area is too big. I suppose I could look into making it stretchy... but I don't think I'm gonna =P

It took me a while to realize that my avatar can attack.
There will be a tutorial tip about that in the next version

That seems to trivialize the early game so I have no idea how money should be spent - I don't know what units or upgrades are effective because my avatar does most of the killing.
Recommendations?

The map is very simple.
One of the main goals is to have easily accessible player created content. Both maps and enemy wave layouts.

It doesn't really allow for strategic placement of units like in other TD games.
Its not really a classic TD, where you setup units to shoot monsters as they walk by. You want to setup a wall of melee units to tank, while the ranged units are more for DPS. Its almost like a tactical MMO

but the squire icon and player avatar icons don't fit in. Everything else has solid black outlines, the old squire icon was better.
Orly? All the troop icons will be turning into the same style as the new squire/player, once my global assets pack is fleshed out.

I'm not sure why the grid overlay would be on by default.
So you can see where you can place troops? Without the grid, you would attempt placing a troop, and they would end up 20 pixels off in random directions.

Which parts? And why not?

Health bars would be nice.
That's a decent idea, although, units should take care of healing automatically, and would probably take damage/healing too fast for any real player reactions. I was thinking of adding damage numbers, but I don't know if the damage amounts are visually appealing enough.
Can units be selected and moved?
Technically, no. However, if you sell troops that are at 100% HP, you get their full value back.

That's good to know. Is there a help file that mentions things like this (and the right clicking to unselect)?

Should only happen if you don't have the game maximized.

Which I don't. It didn't look nice with the majority of the screen being the black statpanel/output area.

That seems to trivialize the early game so I have no idea how money should be spent - I don't know what units or upgrades are effective because my avatar does most of the killing.
Recommendations?

Slowing the avatar's movement speed would probably help. I can circle the map and kill enemies coming on almost all sides. A reduced movement speed would mean I'd have to pick a side and fight there, or maybe move to a side that looks like it needs help, but I'd have to rely more heavily on units to defend.

I'm not sure why the grid overlay would be on by default.
So you can see where you can place troops? Without the grid, you would attempt placing a troop, and they would end up 20 pixels off in random directions.

The nice and square walls, the positions of the gold piles, and the position of your avatar make it pretty obvious where the grid is. I guess on other maps it might help. It'd be more bearable if the overlay was partially transparent - the grid lines look especially bad where they end up next to black lines in the brick tiles.

Which parts? And why not?

The music and the unit sound effects are clearly from something else.

That's a decent idea, although, units should take care of healing automatically, and would probably take damage/healing too fast for any real player reactions. I was thinking of adding damage numbers, but I don't know if the damage amounts are visually appealing enough.

Damage numbers would be fine too. The purpose is to see how much damage units are taking. Not necessarily so I can react, but so I can see "oh, that side never gets weak, they're good on healing."
OH NOEZ! ITS DOWN! Updates maybe?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7