ID:1135284

BYOND Version:498
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic
Web Browser:Chrome 24.0.1312.52
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

SIDE_MAP makes implementing the layering of many things difficult and sometimes, impossible.

I want the shadow object to appear as if it is underneath the rabbit pelt, but unfortunately I can not do this without having do deal with SIDE_MAP's arbitrary and exception-less layering. If I had the option for the shadow object to ignore SIDE_MAP's default layer-below-equals-above logic, this would be feasible.

ACTUAL:

EXPECTED:

Overlays will appear popping up and down on the player's icon, seemingly incapable of deciding whether or not they are above or below the player.

This is a name overlay object, applied as an overlay on the player to display his name. It is being clipped off by the turf below it. If I had to option to toggle this layering feature off for individual objects, "name overlays" like this would be more feasible.

This is 50% bug report and 50% feature request. It's more like a solution to cover up a failing feature.

If there is an existing solution to this issue, I'd be happy to hear it. Chances are likely there already is.
A big problem with SIDE_MAP is it takes pixel offsets into account when determining an object's layer.

If you had a 96x96 spell effect for example and centered it on your current position by lowering its pixel_x/y, it might as well be sitting one tile below you and one tile to the left as far as its layering is concerned.