ID:116224

I'm pondering now going for a double major - I'm stuck at my college for another 2 years before I transfer, so why not make the most of it? I'm considering adding Philosophy on top of my already planned Computer Science major, and for my undergraduate work this only means replacing 4 random classes I've selected over the next 4-6 semesters (to 6 includes possible summers) with 4, 3 unit courses.

On top of that, because I am considering applying to UC Berkeley in addition to UC Davis, my computer science major will require 2 more CS classes, and 1 more math class. UC Davis actually has more requirements, but UC Berkeley simply has different requirements.

I'm also planning on taking 4 semesters of American Sign Language so I can learn how to sign, because quite a few of my friends are deaf and it'd be nice to communicate to them in person without a pen and paper.

However, this all seems a bit daunting - I can actually add on a majority of these classes, but I'm more concerned with the added Math and CS courses.

What do you guys think - should I go for the double major in CS and PHIL, or should I stick to my cozy CS major and read philosophical books to gain that knowledge?
There is no point in doing a philosophy major if you don't plan on having a career in the field, or don't have the commitment to learn on your own (in which case you are probably not interested in the field enough to major in it ;p).
Hm. In future years I want to go to seminary, but I have no need for philosophy to do that - just a Bachelor's Degree.

So you think I should simply learn it on my own? Maybe take a class or two as electives, but overall learn on my own?
Yes, unless you want to be a lecturer in Philosophy.
I thought about that maybe when I'm 50 or so, but then again if I want to do that I can always go back to school. I might try to pick up a Ph.D when I'm 60 or so just to be able to say that I'm a doctor. :P
I found philosophy and ethics class VERY boring. But then again, my class was taught by a hippie who never had a lesson plan...
Well, I'll likely just move to fully learning ASL then, and just reading philosophical texts on the side. I have questioned if I should get into psychology as I'm an avid poker player, but I decided that I don't need to be a psychologist to understand when someone's bluffing. :P

I suppose I'll stick with my comfortable CS. Thanks Toady.

Cody: Philosophy is actually pretty interesting, but a lot of people look at it the wrong way, and I can definitely bet that many professors are horrible at teaching it.
That's what I'm planning to do. Take Computer Science in college and learn other things on my own. Already learning a bit about of Electronic Engineering on my own (since I got a kit about three years ago). Sometime, I also thought about learning some American Sign Language to better communicate with deaf people.
What can you do with a Philosophy degree? Don't waste your time/money at college getting a pointless degree. If you want, get a minor, but it's not worth the time if you don't plan on ever using it.
One thing, though: I wouldn't give you the same advice had you wanted to learn, say, biology on the side, even if you wouldn't use it in the future. Philosophy is just a subject you can, and are perhaps better off learning on your own; the degree is just a certificate for those who need it. At least that's the impression I got.

If you do plan on being a lecturer one day, if I can tell anything about a person from their writing, I think you'll be a great teacher.
Right. I can't actually find any other major that's very appealing - psychology is actually, but at both colleges I wish to attend (Berkeley and Davis), they only offer the biological side of it, and the pathway of being a psychiatrist. I may minor in it, but to be honest I'd rather minor in robotics before I ever looked to minor in anything to do with biology.

That's funny that you say that - I've never thought myself to be that good of a writer, but you honestly have no idea how much of my day was made by hearing that Toad. I appreciate it very much.
Please don't advertise your link on my blog unless I requested for it.