ID:1190475

(See the best response by Super Saiyan X.)
Code:
var url = "http://byond.com/"
src << browse( url, "display=0;" )
src << link( url )

Current Remedy:
var url = "http://byond.com/"
var html = {"
<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function() { window.location = "
[url]"; }
</script>
"}

src << browse( html, "display=0;" );

Problem description:
Browsing the variable url simply displays the link as a string... theoretically I can workaround this using JavaScript, but I was wondering if there was a way to force a user to browse a link ( so I can use HTML/JavaScript/PHP ) to run things in the background without having to bog the user with a window - similar to link() but without an external browser window at all.

To tack onto this question, I'm well aware of grabbing information from this browser (I simulated JavaScript sorting this way before as a POC), but I was wondering if there was a more efficient way to read in data from a website? Any references?
Update: I just found/read up on World.Export(). I'm guessing this is the solution I'm looking for - I'll keep this post up for anybody that might have the same question as me.

Anybody have any good resources or examples of manipulating programs with World.Export()?
Best response
Do you have a use case? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but it sounds like world/Export().

Edit: oh, you just found it as soon as I posted...huh.

I use world/Export() in SuperSaiyanX.hubget, and some other secret stuff.

Note, that you can't really use world.Export() to 'browse' stuff - it simply downloads the web page.
Honestly, you might be better off writing a javascript solution to send resources to the client directly.

I should have a workable solution soon that will allow client/server interaction using an external .dll and a java applet passed to the player via browse()
In response to Super Saiyan X
Super Saiyan X wrote:
Note, that you can't really use world.Export() to 'browse' stuff - it simply downloads the web page.

Well, as you can see from the "display=0;" in the window argument, the purpose is to simply call a PHP script on the target webpage. world.Export() deals exclusively with everything I'm searching for. The only true benefit I can imagine with my JavaScript solution would be if I wished to utilize AJAX in combination with my PHP script. Export() is easier to read, though :)
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Honestly, you might be better off writing a javascript solution to send resources to the client directly.

Why?

Ter13 wrote:
I should have a workable solution soon that will allow client/server interaction using an external .dll and a java applet passed to the player via browse()

I'm interested in checking this out. Let me know when it's up, yeah?

I know this is an old post but i came across it trying to find a solution to my own problem. -- What is it that you want? To browse an external link?
The purpose looks like to call a php script in order to initiate some external server process.

By calling world.Export("www.webserver.com/ url.php?param=value¶m2=value2") the return value is the content of the web page, and the script will run on the remote server (saving, sending emails and other things) before the content is returned. All communication is done server side as to not expose the ability to stop this communication, or inject fake communication on the player's client side.