ID:119059

Keywords: giad2011
So, I have officially quit for this year's contest. Frankly, I got bamboozled for time this weekend I was not expecting. Basically, a whole bunch of events decided to be placed this weekend that would have been very... very, rude of me to miss, if you will.

The project I have right now is currently the backbone of the game I wanted to make. The combat system was/is currently being worked, 3/4 of the storyline is complete, and everything else is pretty much done for the actual game to be placed on top of.

If I have so much done, why quit? Well, here's the thing. Given 5 more hours, all the programming for the whole game would be done. But this game, to be good, requires a shitload of graphics. Not only for in-game, but also for cut-scenes - every cut-scene would be in comic-book form, so those clearly would take time as well. Also, there are 4-5 levels (haven't decided yet) with 3-4 waves (which would almost each be a puzzle in the last 3 levels. Coming up with 12-16 puzzles is a painful idea in 11 hours, along with all the programming, and then finally ALL of the artwork (sprites and cut-scenes). I probably would try, but I have another gathering I must tend to in 2 hours, so again this plan is shot down.

However, my design document is full. It's a very simple game, with a kick-ass storyline. It's a single-player RPG, with no saving but rather the concept of just immersing yourself through the story. I also conceptualized Easy, Medium, and Hard modes, each which would entail differing puzzles based on which difficulty you choose.

So what was my idea? Well, because nothing is produced yet, I won't release those specifics. I don't want to get an idea in your head and crush it down like I did with Save the Queen (which I'll explain about shortly). However, I really was looking forward to making this game. It was allowing me to experiment in ways I never did before, and for that, I will likely continue this project every once in a while (as I can "draw" the comic book portions of the game when waiting for things or in class). When I release it, not many people will understand the point of it at first, as it will be strange, so I'll relate it to this year's GiaD because it incorporates two themes: Honey and Zodiac.

Notes: On Save the Queen... I'm not particularly well inclined to develop for a multi-player only game. And the hassle to find people to test with is burdensome, and as I played, I questioned how many people would really play it. Overall, as much as I enjoyed the idea of it, I scrapped it. If you wanted to know exactly what the idea was, it was this:

You get 5 chess pieces of your choosing, and you must defend your queen at all costs. Each piece you choose has a special ability (except the pawn), a battle tier (1, 2, 3), and finally a movement system. There are more details on how this all works, but you try to defeat your opponent's queen (and generally this would involve destroying their pieces), as each piece has a timer on it before it can move again. It's very fast-paced for a board game. Anyways, there you go.

Sorry all.
Submit what you've got. At least you'll get a mini-review and a picture in the results :)
I don't have any graphics associated. To do all the programming, I tied it with blocks and circles :P

I'll send it to you when it's somewhat playable though, and you'll see why I needed to continue it.
You could always use the CQ graphics as place holders.
If you value my opinion any, I would be more than happy to shell it out. Page me any time you want to test, well anything, and I'll help out if I'm around. Usually if I don't answer a page in 10-15 minutes I'm not there. My job has me on a variable schedule.