ID:1218987

Redundant
Applies to:

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
My project, due to its size and amibition, is in a sticky situation. There is almost no way around the issue I am faced with, and after multiple hours brainstorming and trying to come up with solutions with the help of Kaiochao, I've decided to simply just ask for the object limit at compile-time to be expanded. Perhaps it could be increased to be equal to the 256^3 runtime limit? I'm not very aware of what this entails, but given the scope of my project and its potential to aid BYOND financially, I believe that this request has enough potential to become a priority.
Have you thought about setting up a runtime prototyping system to collapse items and npcs into objects grouped by their behavior, and then use variables or datums to define unique behavior?

I can probably help you figure out a way around your problem via skype tonight if you want, yut.

There really is no reason to go over the 65K unique definition limit. Larger projects such as yours would really benefit from implementations that most modern mmos use.
You mean unique map turfs? (I'll be off work in 3 hours).
Nah, you have more options than that. You can split your map into multiple files in the meantime, then use a library like swapmaps to load different areas at startup.

You also get the added benefit of performance boosts by not having huge chunks of your world loaded when you don't need them.
Modern games don't keep that much unused space loaded. Most games keep a maximum of 4 chunks of 256x256 loaded per cell of interest at a time.

If you keep a background map loading process and only keep what is near players loaded at once, you'll find that you will have a much more efficient game.
Well, yut, I think that this moment might well be the point where you need to either address that assumption, because even if you leave byond to write a new project, the issue is going to be present, because it's a design issue more than a real limitation of byond.

Whatever you do though, please don't abandon your project. Byond is really hurting for good games right now.
LordAndrew resolved issue (Redundant)