Kaigne wrote:
EH. I'm just trying to keep my JavaScript stuff working. I don't want to have to convert everything directly into DM.

If you want it to work with the Flash client, you'll need to rewrite it to use the HUD instead of a browser. That's just a limitation of Flash, not much BYOND can do about it.
Lummox JR wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Eeeenteresting... now If we can only be able to submit said games as stand alone .SWF files in Newgrouds then My life would be complete.... *Beng able to crush most standalone flash games with a Byond game: Priceless*

DC said the Flash client itself is a standalone .swf; the game is not. The game has to run on a Dream Daemon or Dream Seeker server just like it always did. The .swf is basically a Flash version of Dream Seeker with a slightly different feature set.

That said... Would there be any way to Compile a Single player Byond game into a .swf with the Dream Seeker client?
*selects to stop following the thread*

Is it sad that 90% of my Byond updates come from this post being commented on?

Yes. Yes it is. I have no friends.
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Eeeenteresting... now If we can only be able to submit said games as stand alone .SWF files in Newgrouds then My life would be complete.... *Beng able to crush most standalone flash games with a Byond game: Priceless*

DC said the Flash client itself is a standalone .swf; the game is not. The game has to run on a Dream Daemon or Dream Seeker server just like it always did. The .swf is basically a Flash version of Dream Seeker with a slightly different feature set.

That said... Would there be any way to Compile a Single player Byond game into a .swf with the Dream Seeker client?

No, at least not for the time being. The Flash client will be limited to joining hosted worlds only.

Bravo1 wrote:
*selects to stop following the thread*

Is it sad that 90% of my Byond updates come from this post being commented on?

Yes. Yes it is. I have no friends.

Or it's just all that is going on. :P
Nadrew wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Lummox JR wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:

No, at least not for the time being. The Flash client will be limited to joining hosted worlds only.
Ahh, I see... Hmm I wonder if NG would Accept that as a Legitimate Flash project?...

Maybe its a good idea that only members of byond can make byond game hub
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Ahh, I see... Hmm I wonder if NG would Accept that as a Legitimate Flash project?...

The way I figured it, and I could be dead wrong, is if it acts just like Dream Seeker, you should be able to host a Dream Daemon world somewhere, and in your embed statement add a line with a connection address to your server. (If so, you might be able to convince NG to go that extra step for you. But seeing as it's merely a Portal in of itself to BYOND games, I doubt it.)

I imagine that concept could be interesting if it takes off. After all, all you need is one client, a database and a few queries, then your Dream Flash can connect to literally any game you want to that allows it.

But I could be dead wrong. Besides, she's still a work in progress.
Perhaps a compiled SWF that connects to a specific server. If that is done, you'd better hope you have a static IP and always use the same port.
Tiberath wrote:

Yea, I'm really curious how they'll handle it. It would be nice if the parameters could be embedded directly into the SWF so it would be compatible with Flash game portals (I doubt NG is going to allow passing custom flashvars). I also wonder if it will support listing live games from the hub, or only connecting to a pre-defined server IP.

Although, now that I think about it, one could create their own "loader" SWF that embeds the flash client, and has other features like a server listing.

But first things first: I wanna see this new site update! Polish 'er up and kick it out the door :D
DarkCampainger wrote:
But first things first: I wanna see this new site update! Polish 'er up and kick it out the door :D

Honestly, I just want to see a terribly buggy piece of crap at this point.
Flex has a 'flash' iframe component. It parses webpages with html and javascript support, though js prompts don't seem to work.
Medicator wrote:
Flex has a 'flash' iframe component. It parses webpages with html and javascript support, though js prompts don't seem to work.

Interesting. I didn't know Flex applications could be embedded in webpages, but it looks like it's rather simple to do so. I found an example of Flex iframes here.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's just a trick: the iframe is actually on the HTML page itself, and is just positioned over the SWF with some external JavaScript calls. This means it wouldn't work with flash portal sites. Then again, the only site I think I've seen Tom mention is Facebook, so they aren't necessarily targeting standard portals for support... I guess we'll have to wait and see.
guess so then... hopefully its not a missed opportunity
About time you changed the "forum system" hated it so much. Other updates look nice too.
Just FYI, we're pretty much ready with the site but have to test some and put up various documentation posts for the new forum categories. I'll make a post with downtime details prior to the update, but I'm thinking we'll do it on Monday evening.

One reason that this has taken longer than expected is that we upgraded to new hardware and have transitioned the new site onto that. It should be a lot more responsive.
Tom wrote:
Just FYI, we're pretty much ready with the site but have to test some and put up various documentation posts for the new forum categories. I'll make a post with downtime details prior to the update, but I'm thinking we'll do it on Monday evening.

One reason that this has taken longer than expected is that we upgraded to new hardware and have transitioned the new site onto that. It should be a lot more responsive.

Oh hell, I thought this was going to be a late-spring early-summer update. We're doing this bro? we're making this happen?

Nice, I will look forward to seeing the new update Tuesday morning in the UK.
Let's see...
Programmers are notorious for thinking things will take a lot less time than they actually do.
I'm betting a week or two.
Bring back guilds and sections.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15