ID:122657

Well, now that the holidays are over I thought it was time to get back to work on this.

TL;DR Version:
Video shows of Leon Magnus, extending attacks, using attacks in the air, and the CC system. Everything will be documented in the game.

This video will demonstrate several things, one of which is acting behind the scenes because I haven't done the screen objects yet.

First, it's demonstrating the character Leon Magnus from Tales of Destiny.

Second, it demonstrates Arte Extensions. An Arte Extension is an extra attack following up a regular arte. To extend an arte, simply press the same key that was used to execute the arte (A,S,D,F,C). The system looks for the key press by itself and ignores arrow key checks, so mashing the button works fine for it. Extended artes in the video, if they weren't obvious, are Demon Fang (Majinken) to Twin Demon Fang (Majinken Souga), Glimmering Dragon (Garyuusen) to Shining Dragon (Garyuusen Soukuga), and Moon Glare (Gessenkou) to Moon Fall (Gessenkouhou).

Third, and probably most important, is that it demonstrates Aerial Artes. Not every character is capable of performing an arte in mid air and not every arte is able to be performed in the air. However, those that are can be invaluable in extend your combo or interupting your opponents.

Finally, it demonstrates the CC combo system. This game will use both the combo system found in Tales of Vesperia and the system found in Tales of Destiny. It's not visible on the screen because I haven't done the HUD objects yet, but behind the scenes the artes use a certain amount of CC points. After standing still for a moment after a combo, your gauge will refill automatically. By default, you get 10 points (overlimit gives you 14) and each arte costs a certain amount. If you run out of points, your combo ends. Interrupting an opponents attack can give you extra points (1-3) depending on the level of attack it is. CC users also aren't limited to following the Low -> Mid -> High level arte combination. They are free to use almost any arte in any order as long as they have the CC for it. That said, high level artes have a high CC cost and using those constantly can end up doing less damage than a longer combo with more artes.

Artes that can be extended and Artes that can be performed in mid air will be marked as such in the Move list. CC characters will be marked on the character selection screen.

Criticism is wanted. And yes, I know the physics, direction detection, and keeping players from walking through each other could use some work.
Lol, Fisher is making Tales of Faymoor, you're making Tales of Tournaments. Are there any other "Tales" I should know about?
Is it any actual "Tales of" game or does it just happen to have "Tales of" in it?

Also, I dunno. I don't keep track of that stuff. I just program.

Also, criticism?
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Lol, Fisher is making Tales of Faymoor, you're making Tales of Tournaments. Are there any other "Tales" I should know about?

Tales of super naruto frog super sayian 9000 rise of the hollows.
Any idea when there will be a testing of any sort?
Not for a good while, I'd imagine. There will probably be a downloadable single player version before an open alpha test.
Pyro_dragons wrote:
Not for a good while, I'd imagine. There will probably be a downloadable single player version before an open alpha test.

Cool :)