BYOND Hosting / Shell Server

by Xirre
A shell server (hosting service) for all of BYOND to use!
is ps python script?
Ehh sorry it's really early here Iam getting ready for work.

Python scripts normally end in .py (but don't have too) just like bash doesn't need .sh :) anyway.

If you have netstat installed you could run from shell()
netstat -pl | grep PID from shell() returning it
I have netstat. I know that for sure because I use it from time to time lol.

So..

shell("DreamDaemon './Xirre/LNYM/LNYM.dmb' 5009 -trusted")

Where do I put netstat -pl | grep PID? o.O

Edit: If you have to get ready for work, don't worry about this. It doesn't have to be rushed. Lol. We can work on it anytime. Toby is free on weekends just like me.
very cool.

EDIT: Instead of going by PID you could assign each new server a screen name and then when you wish to close it do screen -S [name] -X quit thats how i did when i just coded a lil server manager.

http://puu.sh/2VrjK.jpg

I can shut it down with the cmd but i guess ill leave this server up for players to play on for funzies lol :P
I'll look into that.
Xirre, you ever gonna get online =(!?
I'm always on Skype and I'm always on the game. Just waiting for a message bro. o.O
Ayo, how fast are these shell servers? Cause my friend has a game thats like... well its a pretty huge game that even zenhosting could keep from lagging.
Could or couldn't? And I am hosting 10 servers now with no lag. If it is a heavy game then you might want to fix that because even Bleach Eternity and DBZ HU2, which are both high graphics games, don't lag badly. BYOND games shouldn't ever be a problem to host unless there is a mass of players. Fix the coding before you get it hosted. This is particularly why I am not allowing fan-based games the privledge of free hosting. Most fan-based games are rips. And with rips come bad coding. And with bad coding comes runtime errors which result in lag. If you are so eager to have a fan-based game hosted then you can buy a server from me and I'll cap your CPU usage based on how much you paid. (details on CPU usage are at http://xirre.atwebpages.com/purchase.php) However, if you have a game that is original then you can get free hosting. There may be restrictions on free hosting like the game must be optimized to the point that it doesn't suck up all the CPU Usage other people need. And only one free server per IP. Some stuff like that. It'll come to us eventually. If you are caught using your free server to host what you didn't ask to host then you will be CID, IP, and Key sticky banned and banned by other means as well. So don't ruin the opportunity for the byond community. I am doing this at Mg own expense. This is all done at home. On my laptop. That costs 2000$. That I saved up for.
A game is typically laggy due to poor practices, such as: Applying variables to bases that aren't needed by all types[memory], having variables not set to null when they could be and transformed into something else later (extremely advised for lists)[memory], too many loops[cpu], not setting background to loops[cpu], having objects placed when a turf could be used[memory], and excessive list size/not clearing lists[memory and cpu]. The given examples effect CPU and Memory, two major roles in Server lag.

At the risk of sounding prick-ish, I'd advice your friend look-over his/her scripts and correct any noticeable violations to the given list above.

I know for a fact that having excessive atoms in a game will cause just about any server to lag non-stop. Also, for every new variable applied to an atom, that's X amount more memory bytes when the atom is in-game.

As a disclaimer, I'm not making this comment to critique/ridicule anybody. I just figured it'd be nice to point out these things so it won't take anyone who doesn't know eights years to realize (like myself, I'm a bit of a slow learner I guess).
Took me 4 years to change how I coded. q_q
Btw. I am having an issue with my VirtualBox.. *cough* I can't log on windows anymore.

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

Yeahh.. I vboxdrv isn't there for some reason. And I googled it.. can't find a download or a fix. This is the 3rd time it's happened. I need to make a .txt file that holds the solutions to all my program failers!..

Since I can't log on, the only way I can code is by editing a text file. I'd have to look up how to compile but I think I just use the DreamMaker command. *sigh*
Fixed it. As soon as I finish my homework I'll be working on the shell server. :)

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic
sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-dkms
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms

Fixed the problem.
Just wanted to thank you for creating this shell. It really is useful. =D
Yes, thanks Xirre and Ss4toby. We appreciate the service! :D
Why are you thanking Toby? He didn't do anything. *snickers*
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Why are you thanking Toby? He didn't do anything. *snickers*

*Snickers an evil laugh with Xirre*

Plotting again!
I would just like to say, that cookies are amazing.
._. Indeed they are. Sucks that I haven't eaten any sweets in about half a year.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
._. Indeed they are. SucksPretty cool that I haven't eaten any sweets in about half a year.

Those abs!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6