ID:1265703

Hello,

This is more directed at a general question of management over set code. This being we have a project that has been in the works for almost 2 years now (Coded on BYOND). We finally brought it to closed beta testing and users have had to continuously download the resource file with every log off.

Now this would normally not be a problem being the size of most projects but currently the incomplete version is 600 MB, the final is estimated at over a gigabyte. While we have disturbed the resource file directly to our coders for input into the cache this still seems to be a problem for half the users needing to still directly download from the server.

Is there a developers end thing a I can do to manage out the resource? Do I have to wait for further support?

Please get back to me, being when we started this project it appeared in the cache set aside space by game. Now it seems to no longer do that.

Thank you for your time.

The obvious question would be "how on earth did you manage to make it 600 MB?". Can you give us any idea of the size of the resources in your project, what you have etc?
About 100 is code alone, then we have 200 for music, 200 for icon base like NPCs, enemies, terrain, and then finally 100 for pictures and backdrops. This also being we are looking to get in CG video before the end.
The code doesn't end up in the RSC file at all, unless ... you've made your own script language or something?
O.k., I wasn't aware the code wouldn't be part of it, it still comes out to a 510,272 KB file. I just clean compiled it to get the direct number. This is attached to the EXE that is currently, at 92,344 KB. Hopefully this helps.
500mb for a rp text game...?

can't get it to work i try to press accept terms or whatever and it just sits.
Also this is with us using templates and procs trying to cut down on repeat code as well. Being this was a huge problem with it the first time. We been trying to keep the code and set up very neat to keep out the useless files. Also using low quality music to limit that as well.
First this is not just a text RP game but that was the demo we released using the RP Unlimited engine I previously developed. Being requests to see the core project. Secondly,I will get on that being it was not reported as of yet and we did not catch that in beta.
Short of saying 'Get someone more in the know to go over your project, optimising it' I'm not sure what to recommend. Basically you need a whole codebase review to work out why things are they way they are, and that means giving an appropriately experienced person access to that codebase.

This still doesn't answer your original question about client caching, mind.
Thanks for the help, a constituent of mine was looking and there might be something we can do to download the core files internally to the .rsc rather then downloading them. So we will look into doing this before continuing.

Hopefully we can get this worked out, being we have a few people in other coding languages working with us. Though we would like to keep to BYOND for the final project being it has been a home to us and a number of our players. This being we would like to share the final project with BYOND as well.
Have you looked into preloadig your games resources?, I mean you have to look into getting the file down from 600mb, but from what I read your clients are having issues downloading files?, probably slowing down the server right.
yes it does, more the main problem we are having is I distributed the rsc to the clients directly being the byond.rsc for the cashe. The server is not reading it right and asking to re-download. This being I was brought up about pre-loading from another of my co-coders on this project while talking to stephen001. Trying to see if we can get this into the code with the download itself to load first from the set resource then add additional resources from player uploads after the core is finished.