ID:1290353

Not a bug
BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 27.0.1453.110
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When using shell to redirect output to a file, it does not create the file that should be getting the output.

When running the same command in the cmd.exe, with the game path, it creates the file as intended.

I did lower the settings to trusted, and it opened notepad, but it said 'file does not exist, create new?'

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
mob/verb/capture_output()
shell("dir . > out.txt")
shell("notepad out.txt")

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every Time
In other games? Unknown
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? Unable to test currently.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? Tested back to 394.xxxx and did not work. Possibly operating system related?

Workarounds: DLL
Where is the default output of shell > out.txt going?
Wouldn't that be attempting to save it on the C:\ or is it the current folder the world is running in?

Does this work when you try to run Dream Seeker as Administrator?

Does this work if you try to output to the full path instead of just the text file?
It would attempt to save in the same as the dmb file.
I used shell to open a cmd.exe to verify that is the local path.

I'm not too sure how to open a game with dream seeker in administrator, so I went ahead and opened it in dd as administrator which did not produce the file still.

I did try to put in the full path too (with proper escaping) and this did not produce the file either.
We'll need Tom or Lummox for this.
I have a feeling something changed with the updates for DM and DS.
Check the directory that Dream Seeker/Daemon is in, rather than the directory that your DMB is in.
I did check the bin folder also - and it was not present.
Tom resolved issue (Not a bug)
See my note here:
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=81288#comment372798

I know I updated the reference but it seems to have been backtracked out(?) We'll fix that.
I updated the reference. It occurs to me that we actually might be able to fix this to use the cmd shell. Recently on an unrelated exploration I found something that might allow this to work properly (basically perform the cmd without launching the cmd shell UI); I'll take another look.
Thanks.

I had tried running cmd.exe with a command, but didn't include the /C switch - which must be why it didn't work when I tried it before.