ID:1303148

Sup guys, online RPGs on byond tend to do pretty well, but what about single player RPGs? Where the player would follow a main storyline, while also having the option to do other rpg elements such as side quests.

I was thinking of a post-apocalyptic style game, and maybe using turn-based combat. I believe the two could work well together if done properly.

But my question here is; would it be worth it to make a single player RPG, or just take the extra time and make another MORPG? Instead of a monthly or yearly subscription you would only pay a one-time fee($8-$10) and have full access to the game.

A free trial version could be an option too.
I would like to see people make more single player RPGs with BYOND myself actually. There are much more dynamic things you can do such as more captivating cut scenes. I wish you luck myself.
Nobody would buy the game, let alone play it.

Besides a particular tiny niche.
In response to Xerif
Xerif wrote:

Speak for yourself..
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Xerif wrote:

Speak for yourself..

I would if the free trial caught my attention , +1
The keyword here is BYOND.

Though, I would be interested if you could provide me with an example of a successful BYOND single player RPG. I'm out to learn, not to prove I'm right.
In response to Xerif
Epic: Legend is multi-player.

Xerif, there haven't been any notable releases (Except maybe Casual Quest? I'm not going to lie, I never played it. Not sure what the genre technically is) of single-player RPGs.

I've worked on 1 or 2, but haven't finished. I'd like to see one released. You have to start somewhere, and you don't have to limit yourself to the BYOND audience.
Regressia was a good example of a single player RPG, though I'd definitely say it wasn't a huge success (like five people beat it? It's my favourite BYOND game anyways but it didn't really have wide appeal).
In response to LordAndrew
LordAndrew wrote:
Regressia was a good example of a single player RPG, though I'd definitely say it wasn't a huge success (like five people beat it? It's my favourite BYOND game anyways but it didn't really have wide appeal).

Regressia was also made before you could release your games separate from BYOND. There is still a pretty big niche of people that play single player RPGs made with RPG maker and stuff of that nature. If I recall Regressia was much better then those with a black and white retro feel and with proper advertising could have been a decent success.
I'm making a single player RPG, if you consider games like Zelda an RPG (I do).

If you want your single player RPG to be successful on and off BYOND, you need to market it. I plan to do so pretty heavily around here and on various indie sites. I don't plan to make money off of it, but I want it to reach a wide audience.

Beyond that, no amount of marketing will attract players if the game is poorly executed. Multi-player games can get away with being of poor quality because the very nature of being online gives them a social aspect which can make anything fun. Just having a chat output suddenly makes some BYOND games popular, to a degree. Single player games obviously don't have that luxury. A single player indie RPG needs to be engaging, clever, and just plain fun. Graphics aren't quite as important (my game only has two colors), but even with low quality graphics there still needs to be a certain amount of polish. If it meets those requirements and is marketed well, your single player RPG could do just fine. I do definitely suggest a trial version, as has been suggested, if you intend to make a profit.
I don't know what you are, error code 500, but I hate you so much. This is the second long post I've said forget it on because of that error.

Anyways. I'll at least say this much. I support the idea of good single-player games on BYOND, including RPGs, and I think it's got untapped potential here; just give it a try. If you do it right, it may go really well both in and out of BYOND. It may even help inspire others.
Regressia was exactly what I had in mind while writing this post. I thought it didn't do too bad at all and collected a little appeal, but at the same time nobody else has really accomplished a successful polished single-player RPG.
I would most definitely play a single player RPG. @Xerif To say that one has never been done well before is a pahtetic excuse to not create one. Byond has the capabilities to pull off a fun RPG, and given the right business model, with proper marketing it could make money.

Demos are a good idea if your going to sell it for $8-$10. You could also have in game perks sold as micro-transactions. Just be creative and put yourself in the position of a potential buyer.
In response to Magicbeast20
I cannot think of many single player BYOND games to be honest. There is no reason they couldn't be successful, but multiplayer games out number them 1000:1.
All the more reason to venture out and make a great single player RPG. There's a market, you just need to advertise. In the end a good game is a good game.