ID:1322770

BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 28.0.1500.71
Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
using startup() to start new instances of daemon is supposed to return the address of the newly started instance, but instead it returns the local lan address of the instance, which is useless when you're wanting to link a client to the new instance.

i suppose you could say that you already know the address when you're calling startup(), but i don't get why it returns a lan address instead of an internet address.
I think this is a more general thing, where-by the world generally doesn't know the internet routed address it can be accessed from. It's never handed that information back from the hub, if I recall?

I wouldn't call this a bug though, seen as startup() didn't promise to return an internet routed address. So I'll move this to feature requests, and generally agree that it would be nice to have, if it's not too painful to derive this information.
If I had to take a guess, I'd say it not being handed that information back from the hub was the problem back before world.internet_address was implemented and using that for startup()'s return wasn't quite considered at the time. We've only even had internet_address for a relatively short amount of time, if I recall correctly.
Ah okay, I start corrected then. Pretty debatable as to whether this is a bug, or a feature. I suspect OP doesn't care what you call it, so long as it's done.