In response to Warlord Fred
Warlord Fred wrote:
To give other people the link to the server, and many other reasons that I can't think of right now.

On another note, shouldn't most firewalls protect against DoS attacks?

It depends on the power.
Most DoS attacks use web servers.
DDoS use networks meaning multiple computers.
In response to Moonlight Memento
Moonlight Memento wrote:
It isn't needed info. Again, in the old 3.51 I think? you were able to have the things be like:

byond://customlinkgoeshereinsteadofipandstillconnects

It was awesome, really.

To my knowledge the only such thing we've ever had is the standard byond://BYOND.world.suchandsuch that is used by all our game joining links. There was also the remote connection link in which you could set a single URL to always use for joining a server that was always live, but that was basically an extension of the standard byond://Author.Game format. (We still support such a thing but now it no longer connects to a user-supplied URL; it will just connect to whichever game is available, or take you to the hub page if more than one is up.) None of those match what you're describing, but I can see how it'd be easy to misremember them that way.

The only thing remotely like what you're describing that I can think of is an ancient feature in which certain users had the ability to host their games on our server and a special URL would start up the world if it wasn't already up. But that wasn't really in use anymore by the 3.5 era, and I don't think it really fits your description anyway. Plus, all of these would have functioned identically to the BYOND.world format in that once you connected, the IP address would be known.

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2