ID:132845

I'm excited to see the new features being implemented directly into BYOND.

Just a curious question... Are you going to take the step to take care of height ranges as well as X and Y?

An example of what I'm talking about here is things like Q Bert. Yes, it would be very possible to emulate this situation (visually, that is) with the new system, I'm just wondering if it something that you have looked at ahead of time.

Another example would be having a flat map with rocks falling from the ceiling. Yes, again, easily emulateable, just curious if it is being thought about.

Looking forward to see what else you guys have in store. :)
AJX wrote:
I'm excited to see the new features being implemented directly into BYOND.

Just a curious question... Are you going to take the step to take care of height ranges as well as X and Y?

An example of what I'm talking about here is things like Q Bert. Yes, it would be very possible to emulate this situation (visually, that is) with the new system, I'm just wondering if it something that you have looked at ahead of time.

Another example would be having a flat map with rocks falling from the ceiling. Yes, again, easily emulateable, just curious if it is being thought about.

Looking forward to see what else you guys have in store. :)

I'd have to imagine that some manner of altitude system comes stock with the isometric layout, since the illusion of the concept is pretty much what isometric is for.

I fear the actual use of these systems, though. I think there's going to be a long initial period of having no idea what to do with the shiny new toy, followed by several months of floods to Code Problems of various Naruto rips failing to jerry rig isometric viewpoints into their respective copy-and-paste sources. On the same note, the thought of bad 2d icons being turned into bad iso 3D icons frightens me.
In response to Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon wrote:
On the same note, the thought of bad 2d icons being turned into bad iso 3D icons frightens me.

This line made me happy.

I understand your fears, but think about it. When the new interface capabilities came out it was a similar problem, and it wasn't that bad. I'm sure people will transition quickly enough.

And what difference is there between people asking questions about isometrics vs people asking questions about why their aura animations aren't turning on when you go SSJ520^59234.

There are worse things in the world. ;)
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
And what difference is there between people asking questions about isometrics vs people asking questions about why their aura animations aren't turning on when you go SSJ520^59234.

The difference is that, for the former, there may not be many people actually capable of answering. ;)
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
AJX wrote:

The difference is that, for the former, there may not be many people actually capable of answering. ;)

But that is the great thing. That means that the answers are more likely to be clear on their level of accuracy.

If some random person provides information that just sounds like bull, it will be easier to decide that it is in fact bull.

And people will figure it out quick enough. Then everything will be back to normal.