Stranded

by Jittai
Stranded
A survival game that takes place in an archipelago with other people in the struggle to live.
ID:1332148

I did a quick but hopefully thorough face-lift to stranded. New GUI- less interface, minimal control changes. Thanks to Magnum2k for help!; As always all updates can be viewed/read here: http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=783654

Optimized the generation process ALOT, for those of you having issues generating maps due to how intensive it used to be it- you no longer have to cry yourself to sleep. Although I do recommend starting at 500x500 and seeing how it goes before going for a 1000x1000.

I slightly retouched the icons, anyone willing to donate their time for a full visual overhaul please contact me.

Please, as always, report any bugs or suggestions.

Note: I currently have a server hosted using Xirre's Hosting Service. http://www.byond.com/games/Xirre/ShellServer
I don't like it. I like that you fixed the AI, but now my computer screen is WAY too small for the whole window. If theres no way to change resolution, you ruined it for most laptops mate.
I don't think I shouldn't be able to play because I don't have your resolution mate.
I love it. I can finally play, and thats what I love.
In response to Kerosene
Kerosene wrote:
I don't think I shouldn't be able to play because I don't have your resolution mate.

If you don't have 500x500 resolution you need a new laptop, or to stop trying to use your Etcha-Sketch as a laptop.
I'm not using a laptop, I'm using a 1024 768
So there is a way to change it then?
Easy fix: Either Auto anchor all the elements or leave it as it is and have a verb that automatically anchors it.

For example, I just played your game and saw that on my screen the chat box is a bit out of place. 1/4th of it is cut off and it doesn't re-size itself as I change the size of the window it's contained in. Now, I can A) Re-size the window and not give a crap about the fact that it's not re-sizing the chat box, or B) I can have it auto-anchored personally by you so that way no matter what size my screen is it will fit but the only drawback is that I may have some small windows, or C) I can have both A and B by having a verb that basically allows me to toggle between auto-anchor and default size which can be done by copying the original variables [x, y, width, height, anchor x, anchor y, etc] and setting them manually via a proc and also copy the anchored variables. Good luck. Game looks good. It got my attention when it hit 100% for no reason. ._. But it's fine now. I played it and there's absolutely nothing wrong. Try tracing your codes and see if there's anything that could loop badly. You coded it well, but there may be something in there. Who knows?
Oh, and it looks to me like you're straying away from stat panel verbs. Well, you know what to do. Add a little cute button at the top right corner of the window that looks like a <--> lol. They'll get it eventually. ._. To prevent people from being clueless, give them a message in the output box saying "Your window is now anchored." or something.
There already is a resolution changer via button on the top right. 500x500 refered to the map size not the window size. It's the button that has a small 2x2 grid with an arrow going to a larger box.

The default size is, 608x384 - the larger size is twice that at 1216x768. I did a lot of research regarding "most laptops" and took into account that most people on BYOND might be on BYOND because of their laptops perhaps being sub-par.

The code find your resolution and checks if the larger size can fit, so it's weird it's trying to force the larger size on you.

Not sure what you're seeing about the chat box perhaps a screenshot? It currently looks fine to me.
Found Kerosene's issue, it was checking based on the height only- now it checks the width and height.
I didn't see a button when I played. >.> You sure it's visible on all formats?
Yes?
Alright. I'll check and let you know when I wake up.
Couple things. First, and most importantly, I cant load or generate a map... ;) Clicking generate map loads up a window with what I'm guessing is a map element and a chat box plus a couple of buttons, but no map ever appears. Clicking load map does nothing the first time I click it, while the second time it acts like I clicked generate map.

Secondly, when I maximize the window with the map in small mode, the chat box winds up partially covering the map.
The first issue you are having I can't replicate, but I'll get on the second one.
Ok, I fixed the chat displacement issue and the white background color that I set for testing purposes. As for the map issue, I'm not sure what could be causing that- could you try a clean install or installing the game to your desktop and trying it off there?
Uninstalled, then deleted the other files in it's folder. Reinstalled, ran, clicked generate map with the same results. this is my 'Runtime Errors.txt' file.

Map Generate()
Player (/mob/Player): GENERATE()
runtime error: Undefined operation: 50 / "Oasis"
proc name: New (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase/New)
usr: Player (/mob/Player)
src: Palm Tree (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase)
call stack:
Palm Tree (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase): New(Sand (179,179,1) (/turf/Sand))
PopTrees()
Map Generate()
call stack:
Palm Tree (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase): New(Sand (180,182,1) (/turf/Sand))
PopTrees()
Map Generate()
call stack:
Palm Tree (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase): New(Sand (166,179,1) (/turf/Sand))
PopTrees()
Map Generate()
call stack:
Palm Tree (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase): New(Sand (180,181,1) (/turf/Sand))
PopTrees()
Map Generate()
call stack:
Palm Tree (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase): New(Sand (254,246,1) (/turf/Sand))
PopTrees()
Map Generate()
call stack:
Palm Tree (/obj/Mapobj/Tree/PalmBase): New(Sand (242,252,1) (/turf/Sand))
PopTrees()
Map Generate()
Ah, you're using a older version- I fixed that almost right away. :s I'll check later perhaps I didn't.
Want to bring this back to life?
I'll fix anything outstanding if that's what you mean. But I'm kind of busy for anything else.
Page: 1 2