Murder Mansion

by SuperSaiyanGokuX
Murder Mansion
Not for the faint of heart...
ID:1333118

Hot on the heels of post number 5 (concerning new maps), comes a post about new modes that have been added to the game!

Let's get right into it, shall we?

Let's face it. No multiplayer online game is complete without a CTF mode, right? Well, now Murder Mansion's got one!

As the text in the above images shows (the first is the mode intro text, the second is the rules output); CTF MM-style is a relatively simple affair. Each bedroom has a spot that will change to a briefcase icon (similar to the spots that mark the rooms for Clue mode, or the search points for Escape mode) if that room is occupied. "Teams" are therefore room-color based. Step on an opposing team's briefcase to pick up their "flag" ("File" in MM's case), then step on your own to deposit it for a point.

The "story" behind this mode is that the players are all rival spies (Sorry, My Life as a Spy!)

The next new mode to be added is something I've called "Vendetta". It is a Ship Online-esque style of play, where the players are assigned a specific target to kill, but they do not know who it is until they receive clues to the identity (in the form of periodically being told one of their target's identifying features; gender, body type, shoe size, distinguishing marks, etc.)

The first death in the round ends the round, and the only win condition is if the victim was the killer's assigned target.

All of this is wrapped up in a silly story about the players being mafia enforcers from rival families that are together under a truce, but each Boss has a scheme to double-cross one of the others by having a hit performed on their top enforcer.

"Werewolf" mode.

I don't exactly remember how I came across this one, but I stumbled onto an article about this social gathering roleplaying game (usually played at conventions), that goes by the name of "Werewolf" (though it was originally named "Mafia")

The text in the above images should explain it fairly well. And you should definitely read the instructions for the real game at http://www.eblong.com/zarf/werewolf.html , but here's a little overview;

This game pits an informed minority (the werewolves, two per round, whose job it is to select and kill another player every "night"), against the uninformed majority (the remaining players, "villagers", who then meet each "day" to discuss and ultimately choose a target to lynch as a suspected killer, hoping that they get it right and knock off the werewolves before they manage to get everyone)

The main point of the game therefore comes down to the powers of persuasion, rational deduction, and flat out lying as the players frantically try to identify the real killers, while the killers work to spread doubt and frame others.

This mode is now operational in terms of gameplay control (all game functions are in place to handle the day/night cycle, the voting system to select the target that will be killed, etc.)

The only hold-up now (in fact, the only hold-up remaining before I'm willing to release the uodate!) is in setting up the AI systems to play this mode, due to its much greater emphasis on social interactions and discussions to select the next lynching target.

Oh yeah... Speaking of the AI:

Stay tuned!
I expected my "Uninteresting stuff ahead, interesting stuff coming later" line.

I was dissapointed. :(
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
I expected my "Uninteresting stuff ahead, interesting stuff coming later" line.

I was dissapointed. :(

My apologies.

I can say, though, that while these last two posts contain interesting stuff (or so I think; judging by the enthusiasm of the audience, I'm not so sure of that), I've saved the best for next/last.

So, perhaps I could meet you halfway and say:

"Interesting stuff in this post. But even better stuff coming later!"

CLOSE ENOUGH :D
all these new updates make me excited......IF ANY ONE EVER PLAYED THE GAME ;(
Well, once I actually upload the update, and old MM players (that don't read the BYOND forums) see the notification in their pager, then I'm hoping that will bring a surge back to the game.

I'm also probably going to look into setting up a permanent host. Over the years, I've seen people try to host the game, but the biggest stumbling block seems to be that no one knows how to configure their routers to allow BYOND hosting (in all these years, you'd think someone might address that...lol)

And, if all else fails, let's just say there will be competent alternatives to play the game against.
murder mansion :')
oh and do we have a release date (sorry if its in the post)
The best I can say is "very soon". Murder Mansion's original release happened in July of 2003, meaning that this month is its 10th anniversary, and this update is sort of in honor of that (I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but this being the 10th anniversary was my motivation to finally git-r-done)

So more or less, I've given myself a deadline of the end of this month. Preferably a bit sooner (but since the end of the month is less than a week away, there's not much difference)
The first person to say happy anniversary gets a free membership.

Happy 10th Anniversary Murder Mansion.
Happy anniversary! 10 years? Damn..
I like.
Happy 10th Anniversary Murder Mansion!
I said it first i get Membership who is buying it for me?
Where are the vendetta and the werewolf modes? i cant find them on my game?
In response to Bradleymee
Bradleymee wrote:
Where are the vendetta and the werewolf modes? i cant find them on my game?

They're subscriber-only modes. Sorry! :(
then perhaps i'll suscribe. if i select life time is the $15.00 only paid once? or do i have to be billed every so often?
Lifetime is a one-time price (for life!)
Subscribers also get some extra maps (currently, the Neighborhood, and the Arena; but as I add more maps in the future, there will be more subscriber content)

They also get to select the weather when selecting the map (ever want to play in the Mansion but turn off the rain? Maybe make it snow? maybe have it full daylight? oh yeah)

And in addition to some extra modes and maps, subscribers also get to set some gamemode options (like setting up a deathmatch mode with "lives" instead of first to 5 kills, or turning Escape mode into ZOMBIE Escape mode)

Maybe I haven't done a good enough job of promoting the benefits? lol
good to hear. Just subscribed, your game is awesome :)
Page: 1 2