ID:1334351

Anyone else notice the sudden influx of people wanting to learn to use the DM language? More specifically, the ones claiming to be non-English speakers.
brbrbrbr
Portugese people coming here? I know one and some Portugese people playing on BYOND and making games on BYOND. They're from Brazil.
lmao ya right
People wanting to learn DM, disGUSTING!
I have noticed this. Regarding a Portugese version of the DM guide.. I dunno about that. The language is written with english. Even though the code isn't a book, it still does seem to request some fundamental knowledge of English. I assume it'd be easier to learn enough English to read the guide, than to read a translated version and still try to understand the actual code.

I don't know how this kind of thing works out though, I only know of programming languages written in English, and I doubt only English speakers code things.
Usually programming books written in other languages end up bad, partly because so many languages choose to use loan-words from English to describe technology, and consequently, programming.
Falcon lazorz wrote:
darkchakra, aren't you portuguese and 14 or something? you are a great example of non-english learners of dm

I actually think hes 11.
In response to Kitsueki
I was going to point out how they come on the forums seeking help with some of the most basic concepts. Then when we do help them, they get upset and say that it wasn't what they wanted, or cry that we didn't spoon-feed them snippets of code for them to copypasta into their "project" that they are "developing". Also when we call them out on this, they tell us to shut up and somehow refer to us being stupid/ignorant/whatever.
In response to Spunky_Girl
Oh, I remember seeing you trying to help someone who was doing that. It was recent too. I definitely understand a concern for that, it's pretty annoying to put in the effort to share your knowledge, only to have someone be ungrateful and accusing towards you.

I think the most simple solution for people like that is to not offer any help beyond that point, no matter what. Some might say that it will drive someone away from BYOND, but in all honesty I don't value having people around who are that dense, so I see nothing wrong with ignoring them.
That's basically what I said within that thread and the guy got all "female problems" on me haha.
Dear god! I did not know Brazil is still manufacturing brand new Sega Genesis xD
Spunky_Girl wrote:
I was going to point out how they come on the forums seeking help with some of the most basic concepts. Then when we do help them, they get upset and say that it wasn't what they wanted, or cry that we didn't spoon-feed them snippets of code for them to copypasta into their "project" that they are "developing". Also when we call them out on this, they tell us to shut up and somehow refer to us being stupid/ignorant/whatever.

This is not an ethnicity-specific problem.
I've experienced playing a lot of different video games with brazilians in the past 8 years. In all the communities I've been a part of, it seems that the ones that barely speak english immediately act hostile towards you the moment they find out you're american or just an english-speaker in general. The ones that do speak english are actually quite nice to talk to. I'm sure age plays a big part in it as well, it's not just an ethnicity-specific problem like Jp pointed out.

I've experienced the same hostility from non-english speakers from other countries such as korea, russia, poland, argentina and several others.

I just gotta say, it seems to be more of a problem with Polish and portuguese people.
I am willing to bet that there are lots of Brazilian kids that play online games and think that every English-speaking kid they run into is instantly hostile.

Pretty racist in here.
What?
Yes it is so racist how I pointed out "non-English speakers". Excuse my "racism" (*ahem* prejudice).
Spunky_Girl wrote:
Yes it is so racist how I pointed out "non-English speakers". Excuse my "racism" (*ahem* prejudice).

First you dislike people that have ssj or something about DBZ in there name now you're a racist.

Perfect!
In response to D4rk3 Marshmell0w
This is the exact reason why I tend to avoid helping people like you on the forums.
Page: 1 2 3