ID:1335314

I thought of a game idea the other day, but the only way my game idea would be possible was to have a really really large world map which required a specific amount of tiles. I started by doing some research to see just how many tiles I could get away with in BYOND. It turns out, the only maximum supported map size at compile time is 1000x1000 tiles (and you can have 1000 z layers). This wasn't big enough consecutively on a latitude and longitude plain; I needed a bigger seamless world with wider-spread boundaries.

So I sat down and CAME UP WITH a chunk saving and loading system that allows worlds to become truly massive. In fact, with this system, it is possible to have 30+ million tiles for a single world.

Here's the demo, I will consider releasing the code as a library sometime in the future.

http://www.byond.com/developer/FIREking/Massive

Enjoy!
Impressive.

Now if only there were a way to have different size z levels.
In response to Gokussj99
Gokussj99 wrote:
Impressive.

Now if only there were a way to have different size z levels.

This.
You could easily make it support more z levels. The problem with that is you increase the size of the map and the chunk exponentially. For each z level you add, it would take x(Z layer count) times longer to save and load.
What I was talking about is having different sized z levels. For example 1 250x250 z level and one 500x500 z level. I don't know if that's what Goku was talking about.
You can't do that, its a BYOND limitation.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
You can't do that, its a BYOND limitation.

BYOND limitations can be "un-limited" (Not literally unlimited but they could make it possible if they really wanted) if the devs wanted too.

It's up to them and what they deem "important" I suppose.
Well from the conversations I've had with Lummox JR, what I gathered was they definitely want to make maps more dynamic, but its something they don't foresee happening in the first major versions of BYOND 500 unfortunately.
FIREking this is freaking amazing, i hope you release the code soon, i want to use it in a MMO i am working on.

Will there be support for procedural genreation?
Stephen001, looks like we found the solution.
Very impressive! I would love to see this system put into a minecraft inspired survival game! I would totally play that.
Well why not have 1000X1000 Z, then use boundaries that you hit at the end of the map, you will go to a new part of the world

If you put 1000x1000 times 1000z ...

thats 1 BILLION tile world.

now thats a massive world.
"This wasn't big enough consecutively on a latitude and longitude plain; I needed a bigger seamless world with wider-spread boundaries."
In response to Stephen001
Hehe, yesss! I get it (if you're indeed trying to do the thing, a thing, in which case.. uh, i'm pretty confident i get it, also i clearly think w/e it is -that might just be something only i'm in on?- is pretty funny, classic even, so... yeeeeeah)*

Oh right -rather than feeling an urge to come back to edit this later with this info- what i'm referring to is that sounding like an excerpt one might pick out from within something of a motivational/technical talk type speech, that some top figure might give out when describing the path to their success/victory e.g. Being at the helm of some ground-breaking innovation(s).
Thinking about it, it does feel like it's what you were going for.. which kinda makes me want to shake my head at myself at this ramble i seem to be on right now.

ANYWHOOOO!

*Disclaimer: Possible wrongful treatment of brackets, or for the more refined:'Parenthesis', admitted. noted.. and then ignored. Proceed!*
could someone quickly explain what Z is used for? and how?
im trying to learn code ;)
It's a coordinate. X, Y, Z.

http://www.rockymountainastrologer.com/Graphics/xyz.gif

Z is basically the layer you're on top of.