Murder Mansion

by SuperSaiyanGokuX
Murder Mansion
Not for the faint of heart...
I bought a Lifetime Subscription though. Anyways, can you mix it so that someone dies after you push them it counts as you murdering them? I want to push them off the train, or places like the roof of the Hospital.
Also it adds AI despite I select 0. That's not cool.
In response to CodeWeasel22
CodeWeasel22 wrote:
I bought a Lifetime Subscription though. Anyways, can you mix it so that someone dies after you push them it counts as you murdering them? I want to push them off the train, or places like the roof of the Hospital.

I can try to come up with a way to link them. The problem is that in other cases where a death is credited to someone, the death was a direct consequence of their actions (IE, an attack, which causes a direct chain of procedure calls right through to death, so the attacker can be passed down the line). But there's a disconnect between a push and a possible death that may follow.

I may be able to store the pusher in a var that will reset after the next one or two steps, so if a death occurs during those couple of steps, it will attribute the death to the pusher.

This would also work for "trap" types of items, like the motor oil spills.

Also it adds AI despite I select 0. That's not cool.

Each mode type has a minimum number of players. Before, if you tried to start a round without enough players (humans+AI), it would automatically abort the round. Now, it just adds the necessary number of bots to meet the minimum player count if you do not pick enough.
SSGX, if I give you my address can I have your autograph? Because I love MM, and you doing an update for it like this now makes you my nerd mind's role-model here on BYOND.

Now we just need an LRS update to somehow appear.(I sure can dream)
In response to Mordasius
Mordasius wrote:

Working on one. Just need internet access that isn't dial-up to start testing and whatnot.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Working on one. Just need internet access that isn't dial-up to start testing and whatnot.

I hope you don't find it offensive that I now love you. Send me a pager if you ever need testing help, or constructive criticism on the update at all.
So, in case you haven't noticed, Murder Mansion now has a permanent host! (Courtesy of Flame Sage; send eternal gratitude his way)

However! From the world status currently displayed on the hub, I see that someone has logged in, selected a map, then logged out...

This, of course, locks the game up, because now the only person who would be allowed to start a round is no longer in the game, and even the Abort Round function will not work, because it can only be brought up during a round-in-progress.

Also unfortunately, I am not currently able to log into the server to reset it; until I get home, anyway.

Fortunately, though, I will be adding a fix for this to my coming update. It's a simple matter of checking to see if the "CurrentMap.Starter" is currently logged in. If he/she is not, then it will let anyone start the round.

So, hooray! We have a server! But, booo! It currently can't be used (until this evening, anyway)...lol

In other news, I'm tweaking everything I can think of to speed up the game when played with Zombies. The latest tweak was to remove the luminosity from their "PlayerEye". The "PlayerEye" is the little guy that runs around dragging the client.view (camera) with it. Every mob gets one, including the AI (they don't have a client.view/camera to move, but their vision still depends on the view from the spot of their eye)

Anyway, for the regular mobs, the PlayerEye has a luminosity of 1, so the spot of your focus will remain slightly lit even in total darkness.

But this means that for every move it makes, the lighting system has to update every turf it "walks" across (and those bordering that line of turfs).

Well, it occurred to me that for 50 mobs all moving in random directions (for the most part, until there is a meal in view, the zombies just take random steps), that meant a LOT of lighting system updates. So, I simply removed the light from their Eyes. (I actually find that kind of fitting, no?)

There's probably more I can do, so I'm going to keep fighting (also probably more to speed up the game in general, so I'm looking for other ways to do just that as well)

I've run a few test rounds against the new and improved Zombies, and while I'm still seeing a pretty decent speed hit, it's not nearly as bad now (before I started messing with them, I ran into a few spots where it got so bad that Dream Seeker stopped responding altogether! but I haven't seen that since) so I'm on the right path!
In response to Mordasius
Mordasius wrote:
SSGX, if I give you my address can I have your autograph? Because I love MM, and you doing an update for it like this now makes you my nerd mind's role-model here on BYOND.

Hmm, I can write my name! That's not so hard of a request...lol

Sure, why not? It's great timing, too, because we're about to mail out some birthday party invitations, so there will be envelopes and stamps right within arm's length! :)
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Mordasius wrote:

Holy crap, that's awesome! Do you still keep in touch with any of the DDT'ers (or, are any of them still hanging around BYOND)?
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Mordasius wrote:

There are still providers for dial-up outside third world countries?

Wow.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
Nadrew wrote:
Mordasius wrote:

There are still providers for dial-up outside third world countries?

Wow.

I think what he means by "dial-up" is that he calls someone with real internet, and has them Google stuff for him.
... would probably be faster than using this connection.

And no, I don't really keep up with the DDT guys much anymore. I touch base with Gazoot and Deadron once in a while, but no real conversation.
Hey I might know something you can do if you insist on something for being the first subscriber. Also I set it to 0 but I had enough players, and it added all 3 regardless.

How goes finding bugs by the way?
CodeWeasel22 wrote:
Hey I might know something you can do if you insist on something for being the first subscriber. Also I set it to 0 but I had enough players, and it added all 3 regardless.

How goes finding bugs by the way?

Yep. Name it (within reason, of course)!

As for the AI, you're right. I looked at the code again just now, and I had the section that adds the AI before the section that asks human players to join the round. Which meant that even though I was checking to see if there were enough human players in the round, there never would have been any yet. Anyway, fixed!

The bug hunt in general is going great. Out of everything that has been reported (or I've spotted myself), there's only one bug left to fix (the weather selection not coming up 100% of the time), and there's a few features to add (your request of crediting the pusher with a kill if the push results in a death, and a couple of things I thought of along the way)

The game vs. Zombies has been sped up considerably. It might not yet be where I'm happy with it, but it's much better than it was.

So the first "patch" release will be ready very soon!
Just thought I'd leave this here for you LRS nuts...

Colors, layout, and whatever else is subject to change, this is all prelimenary work in my project to revamp the overall interface. I've also fixed several bugs.
Can I talk to you about it over Pager?
In response to Nadrew
Dat hijack.
Couple of things:
  George Vorhees was stabbed with a Knife by George Vorhees!

Alexander Peacock says: "Oh my god..."

George Vorhees says: "You know I can't leave any witnesses, Alexander Peacock"

Seems a bit odd that George is eliminating himself as a witness...

Alexander Peacock was stabbed with the Broken Bottle by George Vorhees!

Alexander Peacock has been killed!

Alexander Peacock has been locked from all actions!

Alexander Peacock drops the ( ) Rag...

George Vorhees has been disqualified from this round...

George Vorhees has died!
The last victim has died (but not by the murderers hand)... This round will be cancelled...

Why was he disqualified?

First time I've actually played this, and it looks pretty fun, even though I just played against some AI.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
Dat hijack.

I'll forgive him for it. LRS is one of the very few not-mine games that I have favorited on BYOND. I've grown so used to seeing that little blue robot up on the titlebar of the page, that I don't know what I'd do without it...lol

Even though I haven't played it nearly enough over the years.

But speaking of that little blue robot... Is a graphic update planned along with the interface and code clean-up?

I don't mean a complete replacement of all of those Gughunter originals (Gug was DDT's "iconner", right?), but maybe just a few tweaks to make things a bit more shiny.

And is everyone attached to the baby blue floors? I'm thinking some sweet diamondplate...
CodeWeasel22 wrote:
Can I talk to you about it over Pager?

Sure. Send me a message whenever. I can't guarantee that I'll see it right away (I tend to keep my pager hidden and silent; for me, it's only on so I'm signed in when I run Dream Seeker to test), but I'll see the page via the site.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5