ID:137053

I wanted to add the language to my resume, and I was inclined to call it "DreamMaker", but another byonder told me the language should be called "BYOND" (whereas DreamMaker is just the name of the programming tool).

Any thoughts on this?
It's called DM.
In response to Nadrew
Dm the dantom markup language??
In response to Hgame9
DM as in Dream Maker.
I wanted to add the language to my resume, and I was inclined to call it "DreamMaker", but another byonder told me the language should be called "BYOND" (whereas DreamMaker is just the name of the programming tool).

My understanding is that Dream Maker is the IDE (programming environment) and DM is the language. The Blue Book reveals that DM stands for Dream Maker, but in this case the acronym, DM, is the actual name of the language. Uh, I think that's how it works... only Dan knows for sure! Well, maybe Tom too.
In response to Gughunter
My understanding is that Dream Maker is the IDE (programming environment) and DM is the language. The Blue Book reveals that DM stands for Dream Maker, but in this case the acronym, DM, is the actual name of the language. Uh, I think that's how it works... only Dan knows for sure! Well, maybe Tom too.

I've always called the language "DM" (like "C"), since it never used to be called Dream Maker when DUNG was around.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
I've always called the language "DM" (like "C"), since it never used to be called Dream Maker when DUNG was around.

Yeah, the official name is "Dung Maker" but I think DM will do just fine :)
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Spuzzum wrote:

Yeah, the official name is "Dung Maker" but I think DM will do just fine :)

Ok, I fess up, I told dramstud that the language of BYOND.

If DM is the language, what is BYOND?
In response to Bootyboy
Bootyboy wrote:

The community.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Bootyboy wrote:

The community.

...and the program that allows you to program in DM.

BYOND is software and a bunch of games, DM is a language, in other words. =)
In response to Bootyboy
BYOND is the product name. I suppose if the I spent time figuring out how BYOND compiles DM, I could most likely build my own system that uses the DM language and call it something other than BYOND.

-Lord of Water
In response to Lord of Water
It's identicle to python if you take out the byond-spacific commands. Just go to http://www.python.org/ and download the libs, and/or look on the net for libs that work with non-C++ compilers.