ID:1373213

BYOND Version:499
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 29.0.1547.76
Applies to:Dream Seeker

A member of our crack team of bug testers has verified that this issue is reproducible, and has handed it off to the development team for investigation.
So I made the change to maptext and have been using for a while; I have a solid handle on how to use it. But recently I was having people test my project out and they told me the text was all blurry (not the icons just the text).

They have different sized monitors compared to me, but even when I change my resolution the text never gets distorted.

This is a screenshot they sent me. All the words seem to have been crunched together.

Not sure what I'm supposed to do about this, or is this a bug with maptext?
So I upped the size by 1 (doesn't seem to matter if I use px or pt as both look the same) and it looks 100% fine for one of my testers now but if I use the same size for me it looks too large.

Current font and size I'm using is sans-serif at a size of 6. So 6 is what I want, at least n my end, but for other people it looks crunched and if I make it 7 it looks like 6 for them and too large for me.

So some how map_text is showing up as different font sizes for people?
What is the font? (sans-serif is just a type right?)
What operating system?
Do they have the font installed?
Do you have a screenshot of what it looks like on yours too?
I use sans-serif as the font-family in a tag. The fonts appear the same font family, just different sizes across these people.

I use windows 7 as do they.

The font is standard and if not they also have it installed.

The only difference is their resolution is smaller, but it only distorts the map text nothing else.

The top is px/pt 6, and the bottom is 7. On my screen.

This is size 6(top) and 7(bottom) on his:

This is an issue with hardware graphics rendering iirc.
So it's a bug? I'm guessing I can just adjust the size by the person- but what do I even check for?
Moved this to bug report. Didn't find any kind of solution and don't seem to be able to find anyone else having the same issues.
Update: Talking with the guy and it's blurry even when he's using the same resolution as I am. So I'm not sure why he's seeing the font size one size smaller than me.
I have requested that a bitmap font system is built in so that the client does all the heavy lifting in terms of putting graphical glyphs from an icon in the RSC on to the screen, and the server simply tells it what to say and where (currently, we only have the ability to make the server do this processing). This would be exactly how maptext works now, but instead of using font vectors, it uses pixels (icon_states). This is traditionally how games for SUPER NINTENDO were displaying text on the screen.

I find it annoying that this hasn't been added a long time ago. Things that emulate it, such as DMIFontsPlus is still doing too much server side, so my request is about putting that into the client. The client already knows how to draw tiled and layered stuff on to the screen, this is really no different aside from the fact that you're probably adding a datum that behaves a little bit differently than atoms and images.
I get that it's vector based, but it can still use px sizes (even though they don't seem to be any different than pt) and the guy literally sees the font one size smaller than I do- and I do not know why. So while I would like bitmap as well, I don't think that's the actual issue in this case, even though it would solve this probably.
In response to Jittai
Are y'all both in the same mode? It sounds like you're in Software, and he's in Hardware.
We both use hardware, and software just makes everything blurry for both of us. Everything is fine except for maptext.
Does he see a difference between the two modes, or no?

In Windows 7 it's easier to alter the base text size of the system, and I wonder if that's in play here. Only thing is, the font setup should already be accounting for this.
This is what hardware(top) software(bottom) looks for me, and if I recall I had him test it and it did the same thing.

As you can see it just blurs everything, while in his case on hardware it would appear the font renders smaller and thus distorts because it's so small. I'm just not sure why it would be doing that if I have font size set as a specific thing.
I would suggest looking at your display settings in Windows to see what the text size is set at (e.g., 100%, 125%, 150%, or so on). Get him to do the same and compare results. As I said the font code should, in theory, be compensating for this, but it's possible something's not quite right.

[edit]
Actually, it occurs to me that maybe said compensation is in fact the problem. I'll know more when you get some results from the system info.
I just checked mine and the default is 125% and it is quite distorted now. I guess this was the issue.

At 125% I suppose it was rounding up and showing me a larger font and anyone else on 100% smaller font.
Okay, that's good data. The maptext really shouldn't be scaling with the system settings, but the font routine in question is the same one used by other interface controls. For maptext we want it as pixel-accurate as possible, so the fact that you saw it bigger was in fact a bug.
Cool, I guess this is resolved now, or proven or what ever.
Nadrew changed status to 'Verified'