ID:151668

In SS13 if you release a gas it spreads relative to the content of that gas in nearby tiles.

In reality, is this how gas behaves?

It would seem to me that if one area (tile) was completely devoid of any gas and you placed one type of gas in it, the different gases from nearby areas (tiles) would fill the void before the gas would leave that area (tile)
Gas is not a solid, and as such will not block other gasses or matter (except when under extreme pressure, I suppose).

Instead, the gases will diffuse amongst themselves based on their respective densities.

I suppose you could argue a gas would not diffuse if it were surrounded in another gas of a matching pressure, but even then the loose structure of the moving gas particles will cause the gases to mix.

I am admittedly not a science major, but I'm fairly confident that is approximately how it works...
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
Gas is not a solid, and as such will not block other gasses or matter (except when under extreme pressure, I suppose).

Instead, the gases will diffuse amongst themselves based on their respective densities.

I suppose you could argue a gas would not diffuse if it were surrounded in another gas of a matching pressure, but even then the loose structure of the moving gas particles will cause the gases to mix.

I am admittedly not a science major, but I'm fairly confident that is approximately how it works...

It makes sense. Could the dispersion of gas contradict the flow of air? Or would it be restricted by that if the force was great enough to outweigh the speed of dispersion.
In response to AJX
What do you propose air is.
In response to AJX
It depends on whether the dispersion and the air flow are in a closed environment or an open environment If its closed and the pressure build up the one with the highest pressure would mix in with the other gas only at the contact point at first and only when the rooms pressure is equalized would the gases mix thoroughly. If its an open environment rather then fight each other they would stabilize and mix with lower points of pressure faster then higher points of pressure. If the room is equalized they would randomly mix with each other.
In response to Chowder
No. Not at all. Ideal gases (the only thing you're going to want to simulate in a game) have no interaction with each other, so flow from high to low pressure occurs in parallel with flow from low to high pressure. So, having a lower pressure difference results in "slower" flow, but only because there is flow going the other way as well. Also, saying the air "mixes" is very poor wording, because there are no interactions between particles.

Practically, you can just say that air will flow out at the speed of sound. So, a 1mx2m (a simple estimate of the size of a wall in a BYOND game) hole will leak out 2m2*340m/s = 640 cubic meters per second. So, if you say each tile is 2 cubic meters, 340 tiles will empty every second. Essentially, if you say "okay, this wall is now gone", you can simultaneously say "and so is all the air in the room." If you are breaching the wall between two rooms at equal pressure, you can

If you want a more in-depth explanation, here is a link. Note that it does only deal with air flow into a vacuum, but again you can just assume it goes both ways for an ideal gas.

Really, the only cases you'll get noticeable airflow are ones where you have small punctures, instead of giant gaping holes.
In response to Garthor
Absolutely. I'm already aware of rapid decompression and how SS13 is incredibly unrealistic in that if a direct opening to space were opened, everyone in that room would immediately die and all of the air would be gone. None of this being pulled out of a hole sTUFF and dangling on the edge of the floor and such.
AJX wrote:
It would seem to me that if one area (tile) was completely devoid of any gas and you placed one type of gas in it, the different gases from nearby areas (tiles) would fill the void before the gas would leave that area (tile)

So let me understand the preconditions:
  • There is an area devoid of any gas.
  • There are surrounding areas with gases.
  • There is no obstruction between these areas.
If all three of these are valid, then I don't see cause for your problem as it were.

The gases from the surrounding areas would have already diffused into the area devoid of gases. Thus, since your initial state is an equilibrium of gases in all areas, once you introduce a new gas in one area it will become unbalanced and will diffuse to once again reach a state of equilibrium.

Unless I'm mistaken, this equilibrium is pressure-based, so one room could have unequal amounts of gases compared to another, so long as the varying densities produced equivalent mass-to-area ratios. Of course, I also believe these particles to be in constant motion so "equilibrium" as it were might also involve constantly changing the amounts of the various gases in each room (while maintaining an equal state of pressure amongst them).

Bear in mind that everything I said comes from personal thought only and I haven't verified any of it nor have I attempted any kind of prior research. It just seems like the logical way of things to me. :]
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
Absolutely. I'm already aware of rapid decompression and how SS13 is incredibly unrealistic in that if a direct opening to space were opened, everyone in that room would immediately die and all of the air would be gone.

This is not necessarily true.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
May you please actually read the part you quote before replying to it? He already said himself that it's wrong.
In response to Kaioken
Care to take a second look, Kaioken?
In response to Garthor
Rephrasing;
AJX: I know that if an opening to space is created, people in the room won't instantly die.
Reply: *posts a link to an article that explains how people don't instantly die when a hole to space is created, contrary to the portrayal in science-fiction*
My reply: That's what he said.

Did I miss something you haven't? I know he could've meant something different, but if so then he didn't go about it very well, as the most he did to explain was link to an article whose main point was what he quoted.
In response to Kaioken
AJX: "I'm already aware of rapid decompression and how SS13 is incredibly unrealistic in that if a direct opening to space were opened, everyone in that room would immediately die and all of the air would be gone."

My reading of this is, "SS13 is unrealistic, because in reality everyone in that room would immediately die and all of the air would be gone."

I suppose it's somewhat vague.
In response to Garthor
Ah, I see, what AJX said can potentially go both ways. Tricky.
In response to Kaioken
Kaioken wrote:
Ah, I see, what AJX said can potentially go both ways. Tricky.

LoL. Sorry for my lack of clarity here.

Yes, I was referring to if a room was directly exposed to space the resulting explosive decompression would instantly kill any living thing in the room.

In regards to Hiro's Post:

I stand thoroughly corrected, though the experience would be extremely unpleasant for the individual exposed to it from what is said in that document. It would also be quite messy for anyone who felt like saving the individual who was foolish enough to venture close to a vacuum.