ID:152031

Every game I have ever seen in my life has a currency of some sort. Whether it’s coins, shells, cash, etc., they all have some form of balanced currency for players to use. When making a new game, many factors come into play with deciding these prices. Will money be scarce in the game, or easy found? Is this object rare? Do many people use this? The list can build up pretty quickly.

When a game is first started, the currency doesn't really have a value when you compare other objects, which leads me to wonder, how people place a price on something with a currency that has no comparable value. Obviously if you aren't careful in the pricing of each object, it could cause imbalances in the system. For example, if wood cost 3 gold each, but a well-made chair cost 5,000 gold, that wouldn't make much sense would it? Many people would simply make chairs, and flood the market with them, causing a huge surplus. So how do you set the prices? Do you just guess on them then wait for feedback from the player community, base them off of another game, or do you go through carefully theorize on the value of each object in the real world and base prices off of that?

All pointers, opinions, and suggestions are appreciated.
I actually liked how Runescape did the shop system in their game. As the store gathers more and more of the same item the original set price will be changed for buying snd selling of the item.

George Gough