ID:153121

I have been Playing quite a few BYOND games lately and noticed something. BYOND games arent getting any better. instead of finding ways to make your games look better everyone seems intent on staying exactly the same. Rather than keep making the same old one grass tiled games and one tiled sprites in every game why dont people spread out more and try using lots of tiles to make good looking grass. I think people might enjoy BYOND more if the turfs got more intresting and people started adding multiple tiled sprites. Because the look of your game is important to game play not just the amount of abilities and powers. I mean part of what makes DBZ games old is the fact that they are all so similar in graphics.
Maybe Im wrong and people on BYOND dont care about graphics but then look at it this way. If there was a game with 5 classes, a pretty good amount of spells and abilities, and had graphics like secrets of mana or would you rather play a Game that had 12 classes, tons of spells and abilities, and regular BYOND Graphics. I mean think whats more important to the game? well thanks for listening please post your imput on my thoughts. TY!
12 classes and more spells don't always make the game better.

So the one with the superior graphics is the one I'd go for.

(is it just me, or does your post seem contradictory? Or am I missing the point?)
Graphics aren't what BYOND is about. Why not argue we need a 3D engine as well?

As for improvement... I'd rather play a game that was programmed with some amount of skill rather than a game that has a hundred megabyte .rsc file. Until client-side progamming is available, and direct viewport control is available, I am not going to worry a whole lot about intense graphics. I make my graphics represent what they need to and nothing else. If a glitzy feature is going to slow down the game, and not contribute to gameplay, I'm going to axe it.

Why would you play a game that plays worse than another?

Your example isn't even that good. More doesn't make a game better, usually, simplicity in gameplay makes a game great. For RPGs, I don't play something that simply boasts a billion classes and four million monsters to kill. I go for something that plays well. If the game play is slow, and doesn't center around acuumulation of items, I'm there.
In response to OneFishDown
Isometric p-bags! Wooo!
Agk! Nice fancy isometric environment and you're making a DBZ game?
In response to Foomer
Hey, if I had the motivation to build a really advanced custom engine in BYOND, I'd probably make a DBZ game just out of sheer spite. But it would have to be really irreverent towards the subject matter too, for maximum spite value.
In response to Kunark
Kunark wrote:
Isometric p-bags! Wooo!

they are all "out of order", so you have to do something else to train =P
When it comes to A) nice graphics and poor gameplay, or B) poor graphics and good gameplay, I'd choose C) nice graphics and good gameplay.

However, games with nice graphics and good gameplay take more effort and more time to produce. And since a lot of people give up before their games are ever finished, these kind of games are produced less often. On the other hand, games with poor graphics or poor gameplay can focus on one element and get completed faster with less effort, giving a better chance of success and resulting in their being completed more often. Which is why there's more games with either poor graphics or poor gameplay.
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
(is it just me, or does your post seem contradictory? Or am I missing the point?)

my point was that the way the game looks is part of game play and that BYOND is capable of doing better than people do. Just spend a little more time on making the grass made of like 4 tiles instead of one. As for you Ter13 I have no Idea how you got that Im say that out of what I said. I was just saying that people need to spend a little more time on how the games look. If you want another example, take Harvest moon trinity ranch. they got rid of the command menu and made a hub (probly should have made a help button but oh well) and they made it so that at night it got dark and the seasons changed the way the game looked not that hard but it made the game alot better.
In response to Sleinth
They didn't make a "Hub".

The "Hub" is the thing you go to look around for games to play.
A "Hud", or Heads Up Display is the thing you mean- on-"screen furniture", like they have in super-ace jet planes.
nice OneFishDown thats what Im trying to say give it a different feel.(not just make it a different angle but lmultiple of tiles instead of just one per area, even if that isnt a BYOND game, flowers, bushes, rocks, and etc. make the game look greats.)
In response to Elation
Elation Wrote:
They didn't make a "Hub".

The "Hub" is the thing you go to look around for games to play.
A "Hud", or Heads Up Display is the thing you mean- on-"screen furniture", like they have in super-ace jet planes.

sorry hit the wrong key...
In response to Sleinth
Sleinth wrote:
nice OneFishDown thats what Im trying to say give it a different feel.(not just make it a different angle but lmultiple of tiles instead of just one per area, even if that isnt a BYOND game, flowers, bushes, rocks, and etc. make the game look greats.)

I use the new() proc to randomly generate that kind of decoration.

It adds a slight delay to booting up the world, but do you really want to have to painstakingly map out a world with detail like that?
In response to Elation
Elation wrote:
Sleinth wrote:

It adds a slight delay to booting up the world, but do you really want to have to painstakingly map out a world with detail like that?

I built an editor that converts maps into DMPs to do all the autojoining and randomizing for me. :)
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should; just because something is there, doesn't mean that it's an improvement. HUD controls tend to annoy me, because they're almost always less convenient to use than BYOND's built-in command input--and on top of that, it's not uncommon to see games with HUDs that are far, far uglier than the Commands tab (and you can use BYOND's verb inputs without needing to have the Commands tab be visible).
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Elation wrote:
Sleinth wrote:

I built an editor that converts maps into DMPs to do all the autojoining and randomizing for me. :)

Ooh, send it to me?
I could...debug...it for you?
In response to Sleinth
I don't know what you are talking about, HM: Trinity is UGLY

If you are saying all BYOND games should live up to the graphics of HM: Trinity, I might as well take a dump on my keyboard rather than try to make a decent game. Nearly every game on BYOND looks good enough as it is to me, Sleinth.

Graphics don't need an improvement. Gameplay is what needs the change.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

If you are saying all BYOND games should live up to the graphics of HM: Trinity, I might as well take a dump on my keyboard rather than try to make a decent game. Nearly every game on BYOND looks good enough as it is to me, Sleinth.

HM: Trinity Ranch might not be the game Im thinking of.

Ter13 wrote:
Graphics don't need an improvement. Gameplay is what needs the change.

Graphics are part of gameplay. Graphics make gameplay what it is. Im not saying that everyone should make every game have the best graphics possible with BYOND. Im just saying people need to atleast try to make graphics better.
In response to Sleinth
Sleinth wrote:
Ter13 wrote:

HM: Trinity Ranch might not be the game Im thinking of.

"If you want another example, take Harvest moon trinity ranch. they got rid of the command menu and made a hub (probly should have made a help button but oh well) and they made it so that at night it got dark and the seasons changed the way the game looked not that hard but it made the game alot better."

You're weird.
Page: 1 2