ID:154269

Are there any traditional sports games (baseball, football, etc.) in byond? I haven't been able to find any. I was also curious how people would approach the design of the physics engine for handling ball movement in a byond sports game.
dramstud wrote:
Are there any traditional sports games (baseball, football, etc.) in byond? I haven't been able to find any. I was also curious how people would approach the design of the physics engine for handling ball movement in a byond sports game.

Sports aren't modelled in BYOND simply because of a lack of people who are inclined enough to handle such things as physics and rules-based systems. I mean, it's far easier to make a game where the player controls what happens and is then punished for doing the wrong thing, rather than making a system where the player CAN'T do something.

Gazoot used to have a golf game, which was pretty fun, but I think he handed it over to DDT -- or he stopped working on it.

I have a system called s_vectors that isn't quite releasable (since it has no documentation whatsoever), which should be able to handle the vast majority of physics.

It's based on two-dimensional vectors, though, so it can't handle three-dimensional vectors just yet.

However, there wouldn't be a problem even if the library WAS only capable of handling 2D vectors -- a spin placed on the ball would give it a small perpendicular vector added periodically, and gravity is just 9.80m/s downward (gravity has no effect on horizontal motion, either), so every second you subtract 9.80 from its vertical position.
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:
I have a system called s_vectors that isn't quite releasable (since it has no documentation whatsoever), which should be able to handle the vast majority of physics.

would you be willing to share the s_vectors code (I don't mind the lack of documentation)? I'm going to make an ultimate frisbee game, though at least initially I'll probably model the frisbee's movement as if it were a ball.

Also, I wasn't sure if it would be best to design the frisbee as an obj or a mob. As a mob, it would have all the built-in movement procs, but would there be a problem having a mob contained by another mob (the player)?
In response to Dramstud
Also, I wasn't sure if it would be best to design the frisbee as an obj or a mob. As a mob, it would have all the built-in movement procs, but would there be a problem having a mob contained by another mob (the player)?

Objs also have movement procs, and mobs inside mobs have no problems. =)
In response to Spuzzum
Spuzzum wrote:

Objs also have movement procs, and mobs inside mobs have no problems. =)

To clarify that just a little, the only major difference between objs and mobs is that mobs are able to have attached clients (players). Unless you want players to inhabit the frisbee you should use an obj to keep memory requirements to a minimum.