ID:155248

I know I'm just spacing on something here, but I can't seem to figure out how to go about doing this. Any ideas?
Make a mapfile and interface file, create a map on the interface.

And I think that's about it. And you can go even further with a login proc
In response to Chaorace
Hm, you misunderstand. I'm talking about generating the map as the game starts, not pre-making it.
In response to CauTi0N
Oh, sorry. I don't know then xD
In response to CauTi0N
If you want procedural generation, there are quite a few ways to go about it, and which way you take depends upon how you want your world to look, as well as when you want it to generate. There should be several posts about it using cellular automata in the resources, as well as demos/libraries on the topic.

The basic idea is that you place a few random "seed" turfs, which then create copies of themselves following a formula to fill in the map.
It depends on what you want.

If you want to load a map from a .dmm, that is impossible. You'd have to manually code each turf into a /proc/build_map in which each turf would be spawned. That's over 1000 lines of code for a 100x100 map, though it is possible with patience. The only real use of runtime generation is through procedural generation.

Or, you could code a system that manually reads .dmm files and deals with them as such, generating a map on runtime.
In response to Xerif
Xerif wrote:
It depends on what you want.

If you want to load a map from a .dmm, that is impossible.

Incorrect.

You'd have to manually code each turf into a /proc/build_map in which each turf would be spawned. That's over 1000 lines of code for a 100x100 map, though it is possible with patience. The only real use of runtime generation is through procedural generation.

Or, you could code a system that manually reads .dmm files and deals with them as such, generating a map on runtime.

Yeah, this was what I was looking for, and I found an older system that did exactly what I was looking for that I had made ~1 year ago. Anyways, it was just for testing purposes and is all complete now. Thanks guys.