ID:157962

I'm trying to currently code a piece to where you can see your reflection in the water. What's the code in BYOND that adds transparency to your icon?

EDIT: I have it now, you need to add a FOURTH number to the RGB in the code, but it slowly disappears. Any help here, guys? Also, how would I make it to where the reflection appears only on -certain- turfs? Thanks!
The only practical solution I can think of here would be to add an inverted, partially-transparent underlay below the player's icon. The underlay would have to have a layer lower than most icons except for water, so that it would only ever show up over that.

As for "it slowly disappears" I'm not sure what you mean. If you are continually adding to the alpha value, then my answer is "duh". It's like saying "continually adding red is making my icon red!"
In response to Garthor
Okay, thanks for the help. And I was continually adding it using "+=" Lol. Thanks! And yeah, your response should've been "Duh". Hahah.
In response to Xorbah
Umm, once more, how would one make it to where your reflection ONLY appears on a Water Turf?
In response to Xorbah
Make it so that its layer is below most turfs, with only water being lower than it. That way, every normal turf but water will cover it up.

It doesn't leave much flexibility for other purposes, but it should work. You might have to bump everything's layer up by one in order to cram one between AREA_LAYER and TURF_LAYER, though.
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
You might have to bump everything's layer up by one in order to cram one between AREA_LAYER and TURF_LAYER, though.

Thankfully, since layer has no problem with decimals, it is never the case where you have to do something like that, since you have (virtually) an infinite amount of numbers even between consecutive integers.
In response to Kaioken
Also something I've never tried. Good to know.
My guess is, like Garthor suggested, is that you'll need to make a seperate overlay beneath you. You can get an idea of how to do that if you've never done it before by looking at Buzzyboy's Shadow Demonstration. It'll give you a good idea on what you're up against.
In response to Lockem Shoto
Buzzyboy's shadow demo does not do that and is, in fact, done very poorly for what it DOES do. I would not suggest using it.