ID:158764

Hi, I would like to know if anyone has ever used SliceHost to host a game... if so could you please help me out... Thanx =D

EDIT: BTW when it comes down to this kind of stuff I don't understand it too well so please have me a lil patience xD Thanx again =D
Come on!! Someone must know something about this!! Please!! =(
In response to Goukaryuu
You could try to connect Tiberath, who has some experience with slicehost.
He's a very nice, experienced person and who knows, if you like his advice, you might even consider paying his tip jar a visit.
In response to Goukaryuu
Goukaryuu wrote:
Come on!! Someone must know something about this!! Please!! =(

I've been hosting Icon Ultima and Chatters on a 512mb Slice for over a year now. IU receives anywhere between 20 - 80 users at peek hour and it wouldn't surprise me if anywhere between 150 - 200 users come and go per day. Chatters always seems to have at least over 10 users online at a time. Occasionally, there have been servers for Solar Conquest and My Life as a Spy running concurrently with the other two.

This might not seem very significant, but you have to take into account that IU is a very resource heavy game, with the aforementioned users uploading any number of files (including but not limited to: Icon files for their own personal use, icon files for their own custom building objects, any of the supported FMOD media to play music to the users in their view and so on). Chatters does somewhat the same, only with a far greater resource cap.

Both apps have experienced very little downtime; most of which was caused by me or one of my three Linux Gurus updating things that required them to be taken down for a little while. I don't think Slicehost has had any downtime (at least for my slice) since I ordered it way-back-when.

My 512 slice also contains Apache2, MySQL, Python, PHP, Perl and a variety of other processes used by the community of users I have given access to over the course of the year. Hosting at least 6 domains (I'm not sure no the actual number, I know I own 4 of them, Nadrew owns one and Popisfizzy owns another) generating quite the hectic server. I'm also unemployed and sustain the server off "pity money" from my father (payment for doing chores) and the occasional donation (see my tip jar) from a few kind hearted BYOND users. So that should tell you the price is right.

If you're wanting to host a single BYOND Game, a 256 slice should be enough, depending on the size of the game and the amount of users you're expecting. Another bonus is you can upgrade or downgrade your slice at will. If 256 is suddenly not enough, you can update it to a 512 with only a few hours downtime (IIRC).

Unfortunately, I'm not the expert on the subject good old Snagler makes me out to be ;). I maintain it's finances and do very little for it's actual operation, I have unpaid-overworked-extremely-generous Linux gurus to take care of the actual operational stuff for me.

I will give this as a warning: Slicehost comes as a completely fresh server computer, with nothing more than the operation system you opted to use upon signup. Unless you're interested in learning Linux, you'll probably want someone in the know to take care of things for you when/if you decide to purchase it. I recommend hitting up the BYOND Linux Guild for users who can help you if you are unable to do so yourself. There are some kind and mellow people there who should be able to help you.

I will say this though: I'm very pleased with my purchase of the slice and do not regret it at all.
In response to Tiberath
Hmm actually I dont know anything about it lol! So I will try your idea at The Linux Guild... And Im trying to host a single game... Just that and it doesnt have too many players because I cant host it too often so I thought that an "slice" would be better so I get a 256 Slice... Im going to ask there... So thank you sooo much! =D
In response to Goukaryuu
I'm more than willing to get Slicehost systems (and Linux systems in general) running for people, however I'm no longer in a position to be able to offer said services for free. Sorry.