ID:1682587

Keywords: linuxnovmwine
Virtual Machines aren't friendly to computers, for one, and they goof up a lot actually.
Virtual Machines have render problems as well. You'd only want virtual machines if Wine truly did not make something that windows can do.

FAQ:
Q: But Audio, all do respect, but it's impossible to run BYOND though Wine. They did not make those components yet. So why are you even attempting this?

A: Well, if you truly known Wine, it does run BYOND, actually. It runs well. Actually, this is a tutorial on how to do it.

Q: But Audio, the fonts...they're not even matching.

A: Yes because you need to upgrade to the unstable version.

Q: AUDIO! IT'S RUNNING MY GAME SLOWLY

A: Just like every other OS, it's required to install your graphics card driver for your distribution.

---------------------------------------------
WINE (Wine Is Not An Emulator).

WINE is not an emulator for starters. It's a compatibility layer tool to run windows software. It's an attempt for rewriting Windows API so that you can run your favorite softwares that are unfortunately only for Windows. It has been running many programs(even popular games). WINE is not perfect as in it does not open everything, and does not always open everything thoroughly. WINE is not for people who don't know how to use Linux well, and shouldn't be used to replace Windows for every program. It's a work in progress. Progress and bug fixes are still being made.

Now that I got the basic information of WINE out of the way, you should know all about it. You're probably wondering on how to get BYOND to work thoroughly on your OS. I only know the Ubuntu way of doing this which works for Linux Mint as well. If you know your terminal codes, it will work for that too. (Winetricks works for all if supported).

MAKING BYOND WORK ON WINE TUTORIAL(UBUNTU/Linux Mint(And many other Ubuntu based distros).

1. Open up the terminal emulator.
2. Type or copy and paste(line by line) winetricks wsh56 wsh57 jscript mfc42 vcrun6
winetricks ie7
winetricks ie8

3. If it says that IE is only for 32-bit systems, then I'll post the tutorial for that too.

FORCING WINE TO ACT AS 32-BIT. ---ONLY IF YOU GOT AN ERROR INSTALLING INTERNET EXPLORER(Meaning you have a 64-bit system)

1. Open up the terminal emulator.
2. sudo rm -r ~/.wine (type in your user password).
3. WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg

---------------------------------------------

HOW TO GET FONTS TO WORK.

1. sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
2. http://www.4shared.com/zip/JOXR97t9/ Windows-Original-Fonts.html?locale=en --- Download and then copy it and paste to your virtual C:// Drive>Windows>Fonts, and then run BYOND.

----------------------------------------------

BYOND should be running on your OS now with appropriate fonts (almost).
To be honest, as with all things Wine, just look it up in the AppDB and follow the appropriate instructions:

https://appdb.winehq.org/ objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29560

It's not rocket science, in general. (but then, rocket science isn't exactly rocket science either, as my aerospace friends point out)
This is the exact same thing except you're not making a wine prefix (which is said to run best that way). In my opinion it runs the exact same way with its own prefix or without its own prefix.
"Virtual Machines aren't friendly to computers, for one, and they goof up a lot actually."

No. Just no.
Virtual Machines do goof up.
1. They do not exactly run your games very well because of graphic cards driver trouble causing rendering problems.
2. Easily corrupted.

Since you are running two operating systems at the same time, it will cause more resource taking more ram. It can also be CPU unfriendly.
1) if you say so.
2) never had that issue with KVM or Virtualbox and its rarely an issue for the 1000's of companies hosting VPSs as a business.

3) of course.. how else do you expect it to work? CPU unfriendly? Please go on.. My dual Xeon E5's haven't died yet so I don't see an issue..
1.) It's been a known problem.
2.) It happened to me a bunch.
3.) Not everyone has a super computer.
In response to Audio freak XD
Audio freak XD wrote:
1.) It's been a known problem.
2.) It happened to me a bunch.
3.) Not everyone has a super computer.

1. Known problem for you, or for others? I'm assuming the first.
2. Again, you probably fucked up, hasn't ever happened to me and hell, I ran windows 95 on a VM..
3. What, you're implying running a 2nd OS takes up resources? What is this bullshit? Never seen that happen..

And.. CPU unfriendly... What? Go play a game, it'll be as CPU unfriendly as anything else that uses it.

Do you even VM, bro? I mean, good thing you know how WINE works, but please stay out of the things you don't understand..
The question is have you even VM before? You should know all the process. IT uses your actual ram. Try to use Windows using VM, it will need a lot of your ram just to run correctly. VM renders slowly because your graphics card reader can't communicate well. In fact, Virtual Box has their own buggy/work in progress driver that allows Windows 7/vista aero effects to happen(and it performs even slower).

Perhaps, you should learn that all OSes takes resources. A VM needs half of your ram to use correctly. All OSes will take some of your resources. Windows 7 takes a lot. MAny users switch to Linux because Linux uses less resources. Ubuntu actually takes a lot of resources than most Linux systems. Imagine running 2 OSes. Imagine running linux has the base and then windows in the VM. Windows LOVES to take a lot of CPU+Ram. If you only have 2-3G (an average computer), then VM will fuck up the performance from your base OS all together slowing down your computer all at once. D: You can't even run a desktop OS and not expect to use resources to run. Perhaps you should learn the basic computers process, because an OS will need resources to run.
Audio freak XD wrote:
Try to use Windows using VM, it will need a lot of your ram just to run correctly.

Sorry, no.

A VM needs half of your ram to use correctly. All OSes will take some of your resources. Windows 7 takes a lot.

No, no, no.

Windows 7 needs a minimum of 1GB of RAM and a 1GHZ CPU and it works perfectly fine in a VM on my laptop .. which has 8GB of RAM .. not 2GB therefore not using .. half my RAM.

Please read - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/products/ system-requirements

MAny users switch to Linux because Linux uses less resources.

Whats your point? Windows has a few less intensive versions made by some users.

Imagine running 2 OSes. Imagine running linux has the base and then windows in the VM.

Like KVM providers do? Yea it works fine.
Like I am right now with 8 other OSes? Yea it works fine.

Windows LOVES to take a lot of CPU+Ram.

Anything that has access to CPU and RAM LOVES using it so you can use that anything...

If you only have 2-3G (an average computer), then VM will fuck up the performance from your base OS all together slowing down your computer all at once.

No it wont. Windows Centos Debian Ubuntu with a GUI you'll obviously see it slow down if you're having mega issues like it sounds you are, you're probably doing it wrong.

You can't even run a desktop OS and not expect to use resources to run. Perhaps you should learn the basic computers process, because an OS will need resources to run.

Perhaps you should look into a bit more pretty much half the stuff you have said is fluff.
Wow, ATHK, just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone else. An average computer which most people can afford will have slow performance. I am quite aware. Yes, it does take resources for all OS to run, enough said. If I can use WINE, then I obviously know how to use Virtual Box, it's not hard. I can use it, but it spins my fan like crazy and it will still perform quite slow. 1 GB+how much an average Linux distro takes(500-700MB). Seriously, think about this. You are now limited on how much you can open. NOW, that said VM shouldn't be recommended because there are many problems just like there is on WINE. Alteast with WINE it runs games pretty well.

Do you know why Windows need 1GB of ram? Because resources son. Just like why Ubuntu needs ram, Linux Mint needs ram. They all need ram. That's how a modern OS works. That's how a modern computer operates.

I am officially now done arguing. Be stubborn, this is a tutorial not a "WHAT U ARE WRONG VM WORKS 100%" post.
Audio freak XD wrote:
An average computer which most people can afford will have slow performance.

Most modern computers come with a i3, i5 or i7 as standard.. the performance of these are great and can easily run a VM..

1 GB+how much an average Linux distro takes(500-700MB).

Hahaha you're definitely doing that wrong! Anyone can easily fit Debian on 64MB RAM server....

Seriously, think about this. You are now limited on how much you can open.

That's why you give it more resources..

NOW, that said VM shouldn't be recommended because there are many problems

Apparently only you get them.

just like there is on WINE. Alteast with WINE it runs games pretty well.

If you say so, so much hackery..

Do you know why Windows need 1GB of ram? Because resources son. Just like why Ubuntu needs ram, Linux Mint needs ram. They all need ram. That's how a modern OS works. That's how a modern computer operates.

Welcome to computing 101 for completely obvious users.

I am officially now done arguing. Be stubborn, this is a tutorial not a "WHAT U ARE WRONG VM WORKS 100%" post.

Your "tutorial" has false and ridiculous claims, I'm glad to have pointed those out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4nfmmOL1Dc

Just wanted to show this. C=

Edit (a more graphical game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQVI-84Byb0 =D
What's your point?

You really have no idea what you're talking about.. You can easily pass through your graphics card to a VM running the correct virtualization.
I was mostly being sarcastic on the point that a VM takes up resources... Of course it uses resources, you're still running a whole OS on your computer..

For the sake of my sanity and to make sure others don't get the wrong idea on how a VM Works.. Stop thinking you know about it.
In response to Laser50
Laser50 wrote:
I was mostly being sarcastic on the point that a VM takes up resources... Of course it uses resources, you're still running a whole OS on your computer..

For the sake of my sanity and to make sure others don't get the wrong idea on how a VM Works.. Stop thinking you know about it.

In this case it's the other way around.
In response to Laser50
Laser50 wrote:

Don't bother. OP is one of those "know it alls".
My balls itch.

On another note, why has this turned so hostile? The atmosphere is worse than that of Mars. It's horrendous. If Audio freak XD did not properly explain something, simply correct him, prove your statement, gtfo.

And, as for Audio, he shouldn't be so stubborn to accept that he was wrong. Everyone, at some point, is ignorant in a certain subject. The fact is that he at least trying to understand it by assessing the differenced between VMs and WINE. But, he won't get very far either if he doesn't take on the corrections of others.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I got gas.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
My balls itch.

On another note, why has this turned so hostile? The atmosphere is worse than that of Mars. It's horrendous. If Audio freak XD did not properly explain something, simply correct him, prove your statement, gtfo.

And, as for Audio, he shouldn't be so stubborn to accept that he was wrong. Everyone, at some point, is ignorant in a certain subject. The fact is that he at least trying to understand it by assessing the differenced between VMs and WINE. But, he won't get very far either if he doesn't take on the corrections of others.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I got gas.

Perhaps if they shown proof that all things only happened to me with a decent article that has proper grammar, proper sources, etc, to back up their statements then I'd maybe consider changing the description of VM. As from now, there were many complaints made by people on Linux Mint's official hexchat saying to not use VM for windows because of problems it has, and I had the same problems they stated. I remember watching a Youtube video saying don't use VM to play games because they aren't for games becuase of rendering problems Also, video card drivers was also said not to work for VMs because it couldn't connect to your actual OS to read it. I am guessing that's why Virtualbox made their own driver. Thnx for enlightening the mood. XD
Some people consider it a cash sink, but I just can't accept VMs / Emulators / Anything else like them (except Simulators).

Sometimes I just can't grasp the concept that people don't just partition, or (better yet) buy a second computer running the OS of choice.
Page: 1 2