ID:1695313

Poll: What OS do you mainly use and find the most comfortable to your needs?

Windows 77% (28)
Mac 5% (2)
Linux 16% (6)
Other 0% (0)

Login to vote.

I'm going to go straight out and say Windows. Also, I find Linux to be for hipster try-hards who try to stand out and be "different". Nobody is going to think differently of you because you're using an operating system on your machine that the normal population (other than the up to date tech savvies) hasn't even heard of yet.
I generally use Windows 7 because of several programs I use that rely on Windows Support, but I say Linux more because I very much prefer Linux distros like Ubuntu.
In response to Pokemonred200
Pokemonred200 wrote:
I generally use Windows 7 because of several programs I use that rely on Windows Support, but I say Linux more because I very much prefer Linux distros like Ubuntu.

Fair enough.
I grew up on Windows operating systems, so I pick that. I dabbled very briefly in Ubuntu for a very little time, but I found I preferred Windows.

As far as Windows 8 however, I am not a fan of. I'm running Windows 7 Professional on all of my computers.
There are many more reasons than being hipster to use Linux, but I stick with Windows because those reasons aren't compelling enough to me personally.

If Linux becomes the new gaming platform -- which is possible, I think -- I'll switch with little apprehension. I've tinkered enough with Linux distros that I'm perfectly comfortable with them and enjoy the user experience just as much as Windows. The main problem for me is a lack of software that I want, which is usually, but not exclusively, games.
Lol, I'm not a WinFag.

As a developer, I'm choosing Linux. Why? Because other than my preferred IDE, Ubuntu has already got the stuff I need. Also, Window is full of NSA backdoors.

Oh, and Ubuntu already coming with the drivers I need to connect to the internet was pretty cool, too.

Admittedly, it does not run most of my favorite games natively, but that is the fault of most game developers and not the platform. At least the indie market and some AAA games are slowly migrating towards Linux.
I've always been a Windows user, starting all the way back with 98, then Millennium Edition, onto XP, and now 7. I've been interested in giving FreeBSD a try though, but I don't have a spare functioning computer to install it on.
I'm on 8.1 for the sharp window corners as well as the generally better performance and built-in Defender. Plus, I got it for free on DreamSpark from my school.
"Winfags" dominating.
Windows 7 for general use, but playing with pretty much and Linux distro is always fun. Lubuntu on low end computers for life.
Windows for all support on all of my programs I'd like to use. But Linux have very nice distros, and if most programs were for Linux then that'd be better. I'd also like to use a OS without defragmenting. I'd also like to use a OS that wouldn't need an annoying anti-virus program.

So, overall, a Linux OS. They do have like 40 known viruses (and a lot don't work on the updated kernel). Windows have over like a thousand. The reason I don't use Linux is because WINE does not render FL Studio well, and does not support midi unless you have qsynth or qjack running in the background. But right now I am using Windows 7. I really hope it won't be so hurtful on my desktop's harddrive like it did to my laptop.
*looks at poll results*
No love for Mac, I see...
All the Unixers are Linux biased xD
Windows. But for business purposes I prefer Apple(Macs) its most comfortable for my needs so I guess thats my choice lol.
Windows, I like tweaking it to my needs.. Which is mainly performance. Also have a linux server.
Windows for personal every-day use (browsing, writing documents), Linux over SSH (sometimes w/ X Forwarding) for anything else (server fun, web development, software development).
In response to Audio freak XD
Audio freak XD wrote:
So, overall, a Linux OS. They do have like 40 known viruses (and a lot don't work on the updated kernel). Windows have over like a thousand.

Okay, let's think about this for a moment. If you wanted to write a virus and have it infect the largest number of machines, you'd probably write it for the most ubiquitous OS you know. I wonder what that OS is, OH WAIT. IT'S WINDOWS. Like let's say we have 100 computers. 85 run Linux, 10 run Windows, and 5 are Macs, and you wanted to write a virus that would affect the most people, you'd probably write it for Linux.

Seriously, I believe that if Mac or Linux were the OS of choice for the majority of people in the world, you'd see "Linfags" have the most viruses and the "hipster Windows" would have the least viruses.

In response to Lugia319
A few more reasons than that alone.

Not to say Linux has complete immunity to viruses, but the risk (even in a Linux-dominant world) is somewhat lower than it would be for Windows.

Personally, I don't find the whole "viruses" debate to be very important, anyway. I mean, unless you're a grandma trying to install free money from a shady website, your chances of getting a virus are very low.
Windows obviously has its downsides, but any programmer who chooses not to write for it on the principle that it's a "crappy OS" is shooting themselves right between the eyes. It's certainly not an awful OS and I'm actually really excited to see what Microsoft does in the next few years under Nadella's watch as CEO. I mean, he'd be hard pressed to be worse than Ballmer, after all.

Apple is a company that just makes good products. Their platforms are really solid and are generally much more polished than other products. Are they a bit overrated? Well, yes, but there's no denying that the Mac OS and iPhone are at least really solid platforms. With that solidity comes a bit of a lacking in the gaming department, but honestly not as bad as some people make it out to be. Mac wasn't optimized to be a strict gaming platform and I believe Apple would be stupid to try to do so. While slightly more limiting than Windows, what they do, they do very well.

Now, as a programmer and a computer nit-pick, Linux is undeniably my jam. On this particular computer, I'm still using Windows 8, but that's only because I haven't had the gumption to reinstall everything that I have on here and find a good VM, so it's less an affinity with Windows as much as my generally lazy demeanour. Most Linux OS's are really well suited to people who work in a low-level environment and like to have a lot of control, but plenty of them are targeted at people who may not know computers as well, such as Ubuntu.

In the end, it really is all about what's most comfortable and most people are going to gravitate to Windows because it's easy-to-use, cheap and has plenty of 3rd-party support.
Yut Put wrote:
Mr_Goober wrote:
I grew up on Windows operating systems, so I pick that. I dabbled very briefly in Ubuntu for a very little time, but I found I preferred Windows.

As far as Windows 8 however, I am not a fan of. I'm running Windows 7 Professional on all of my computers.
So creative.

- Your biggest fan.
Hello, BYONDites! It's come to my attention that people were discussing operating systems. I've come to the thread to grace you all with my superior opinion, and to provide you all with guidelines so that you too can learn how to have superior opinions!

My opinion: Windows master race.

Now that you know which opinion is correct and perfect, it's time to learn how to think properly. Just follow these steps:

1. Form an opinion: Take a few seconds, look over the operating systems, and pick the one you think is the best.

2. Compare your opinion to the perfect opinion: Take my opinion, and your most likely flawed opinion and compare them side by side. If your opinion matches mine, move onto step 3. If not, repeat step 1.

3. Celebrate: Congratulations, your opinion matches mine and you have successfully learned how to think properly. The ancient frog spirits are smiling down upon you at this very moment.
Page: 1 2 3