What's with the honorable mention of Ter13? As far as I can see, he only made one game, and it barely worked on anybody's computer other than his.

http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation#

It's a neat concept, but you don't exactly see it being played as anything other than a novelty.

He was a knowledgeable programmer but aside from telling everyone that they were wrong about everything and having a public meltdown he doesn't seem to have done much actual game development to warrant inclusion on this list.
In response to 8BitParagon
8BitParagon wrote:
What's with the honorable mention of Ter13? As far as I can see, he only made one game, and it barely worked on anybody's computer other than his.

http://www.byond.com/games/Ter13/DawnCasterInfestation#

It's a neat concept, but you don't exactly see it being played as anything other than a novelty.

He was a knowledgeable programmer but aside from telling everyone that they were wrong about everything and having a public meltdown he doesn't seem to have done much actual game development to warrant inclusion on this list.

He's smarter and more capable than most. At times, he produces great things. He has done so occasionally.
In response to digitalmouse
digitalmouse wrote:
IchiroKeisuke wrote:
digitalmouse ranted:
Lists like these are why Facebook and every other 'top ten list' website FAIL.

Monetary success via sheep-like behavior and general stupidity of it's users != actual usefulness. Facebook has continued to show that it cares less for it's users privacy or security year by year. Ergo, it fails. Just like Top ten lists. Except maybe the old David Letterman Top Ten - some of those were actually funny (emphasis on some).

Viva-la-'ello!

Everyone except you pretty much agrees that a 1 billion dollar net profit is a success.
"There is also a seperate title called Magic Awakening that Pride Ravanok developed but unfortunately fell through(?)."

^To my recent knowledge its still being worked on.
In response to WeabooGamesInc
Its still being worked on but he isn't using BYOND
In response to ExPixel
ExPixel wrote:
Everyone except you pretty much agrees that a 1 billion dollar net profit is a success.

No, everyone who considers monetary success as the main success factor, thinks so. Thankfully, surprisingly few people I know feel that way.
In response to FKI
FKI wrote:
IchiroKeisuke says:
I like lists like these, they are fun to me, just like games are (apparently) to you. I dunno why you hate top 10 lists so much but I enjoy them.
Probably because these lists are nothing short of idiotic. "top" anything lists are only useful for one thing: inciting the feelings of others and starting an argument that goes nowhere

You are partially correct in that it does start passionate arguments, this is the part I like.

When people argue with my (or the authors) opinion they often mention someone or something that wasn't included, that was also of high calibre. When they do this I get a nice opportunity to check out new things and enjoy them as well.

- all over an opinionated list.

IchiroKeisuke wrote:
This post is also my personal opinion, so take the list with a grain of salt.

Please also remember that this was my personal opinion

I told you it was an opinionated list to begin with. twice.
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
ExPixel wrote:

No, everyone who considers monetary success as the main success factor, thinks so. Thankfully, surprisingly few people I know feel that way.

I think I phrased that wrong. Facebook is a company and their goal is probably to make a profit (like most companies). So in that sense they are a success.
yeah these guys may be the best developers but im hands down the best at ranting about everything i dont like about the world and no ones ever going to surpass me

SuperAntx and Iain are my favourite developers on BYOND. Decandece and Casual Quest are the only two games I've put in more than five hours into.
In response to Writing A New One
Writing A New One wrote:
SuperAntx and Iain are my favourite developers on BYOND. Decandece and Casual Quest are the only two games I've put in more than five hours into.

i have at least 150 hours in proelium

probably the same in dragon warrior mythology ( UPs game )

i may have put like 7 hours into alchemist.

maybe 70 hours in cow rp/cowed

3 hours into Decadence and 5 in casual quest.

every other game on byond i probably played for 15-30 mins
OP has no idea what good games are lol.
Just noticed that ShadowDarke wasn't even mentioned...
I'd like to nominate myself as supreme champion of never completing a title.
In response to A.T.H.K
Never really played anything by him. Probably the most influential non-staffy.
In response to NNAAAAHH
NNAAAAHH wrote:
Never really played anything by him. Probably the most influential non-staffy.

Really? Not even Tanks?

Or BYONDTabletopGaming?

He also contributed a lot in terms of libraries.
Shadowdarke is brilliant. He and Lummox JR in particular really pushed the engine's limitations in the early days!

In my personal opinion, Leftley is the best game developer we've ever had, but he disappeared a while ago. A lot of really bright folks have passed through our little corner of the Internet though!
Lode Wars is definitely a memorable BYOND game to this day.
I like Grei's list of games, it's like a time capsule of where the community was at a decade ago. Though, it does seem to omit one of his greatest hits.
In response to A.T.H.K
Forgive, I've played Tanks.

Shadowdarke's libraries are still quite useful. I used sd_alert not too long ago and, with a few modernizations, it saved me the development and testing of my own system. Frankly, just me being lazy after a work week. Rather spend 15 minutes reading a library and optimizing/personalizing it than two hours development one, on a good day.

As Tom supported, I don't believe anyone, outside of direct staff, has influenced BYOND more than Darke.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6