ID:181016

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Video-Game-from-Scratch

He showed me this link and I thought it was interesting. I wonder who decided to put up BYOND right there.
Neat to see Byond in there. Though I do feel the bold "a lot" in reference to how much new programmers would have to read to learn the language is a bit biased since a new person learning to program with any engine/language would require a good deal of study.

I decided over a month ago to mention Byond on wikipedia's list of game engines. But even if someone sees it, they'd have to google it since the Byond wikipedia page was deleted quite awhile ago for some reason.
In response to Truseeker
Truseeker wrote:
the Byond wikipedia page was deleted quite awhile ago for some reason.

It was deleted by the Wikipedia Gestapo for "not being notable enough" despite the fact a solid reference was found. I once attempted to resurrect it after NEStalgia became a hit but it was again deleted for "unambiguous copyright infringement" of Wikibin, which is itself a backup of the original Wikipedia page. At this point it just seems like they'll pull any random reason out of a hat just to get their way.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
It was deleted by the Wikipedia Gestapo for "not being notable enough" despite the fact a solid reference was found. I once attempted to resurrect it after NEStalgia became a hit but it was again deleted for "unambiguous copyright infringement" of Wikibin, which is itself a backup of the original Wikipedia page. At this point it just seems like they'll pull any random reason out of a hat just to get their way.

If you want to get the wikipedia page for BYOND up, just be willing to ask the mods there what to do. Every time I saw ya'll trying to get the page up, it was something like this:

-Makes a page with no references
-Mod requests deletion (in line with the rules)
-Bunch of BYONDers start swearing and going nuts saying how unfair it is, etc. etc., instead of building the page right before making it live.

If it was deleted for copyright infringement, get it on a list to be reviewed, with appropriate evidence.

Problem solved.
In response to Murrawhip
Murrawhip wrote:
-Makes a page with no references
We found many references including the one I just linked.

-Mod requests deletion (in line with the rules)
Each time the page was deleted they ignored every reference we noted and even said there was a canvassing attempt going on despite it being one single guy out of a huge thread.

-Bunch of BYONDers start swearing and going nuts saying how unfair it is, etc. etc., instead of building the page right before making it live.
The discussions were quite civil from what I remember.

This is what Richard Bartle had to say on the subject when I asked him about the BYOND reference on Terra Nova:
     If they want to get rid of it, they'll get rid of it - and there's not a damned thing you can do to stop them. We lost the excellent entry on Dragon Kill Points that way. Gawd knows who makes these decisions, or why...
     As far as I'm concerned, BYOND is indeed notable. However, I'm not Wikipedia, and for all I know they're having a debate right now as to whether I myself am notable.
All we really can do and probably should do is just say [the heck with] 'em and continue doing our own thing. Any information you could find on Wikipedia is on other wiki's and even then it's nothing a nice home page here on BYOND.com couldn't tell you.
In response to SuperAntx
Probably not swearing per-se, but some of you guys were just reposting the page instead of addressing the issues. And as mentioned in the deletion logs, you guys really didn't have appropriate references. A link to a web blog is not acceptable. They provided all the articles you guys needed to read to gain valid references, but it seemed to me that you guys pretty well ignored it instead of trying to fix it. Their comment that there was a canvassing attempt going on didn't affect the outcome of the deletion request either.

If ya'll just posted a complete article now that used appropriate references from NEStalgia's success, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with getting it to retain its listing. Hell, why don't you just post the article under your page, then ask one of the wiki admins involved what the problem is with it. Generally admins will help you out.

If you post the article again on your talk space, I'll fix it up and post it. Page me with a link if you do.
In response to Truseeker
Truseeker wrote:

I decided over a month ago to mention Byond on wikipedia's list of game engines.

Consider moving it to the Freeware section on that same page, as it is free - only the engine source code is not available.