ID:181623

I'm looking for a group of people who are interested in helping BYOND improve its web traffic, which in turn will increase BYOND's community base, which in turn will increase BYOND's advertising income as well as their memberships.

These are the skills I'm looking for. If you possess any of these or anything else you feel would be useful feel free to contact me.

Web Host:
Requires: High speed internet & computer that is always on, as well access to port forwarding controls on your router

Alternatively: Someone who feels like donating money for a dedicated web host

Web Designer(s):
Requires: Knowledge & understanding of PHP & HTML. Anything above and beyond doesn't hurt.

Producer(s):
Requires: Money that you feel like donating towards the greater good of BYOND.

Researcher(s):
Requires: Time. No experience in anything except surfing the web necessary. Being articulate and able to write clearly helps though.

Article Writer(s):
Requires: A slight talent for English helps, but really just time. You will be given the information, all you need to do is make it sound pretty.

Adviser(s):
Requires: Knowledge of any of the above topics, SEO &/ advertising experience, hold any knowledge that may be of use.

If you're interested in helping out in any way, feel free to contact me at [email protected]
I've been on a mission to make BYOND known at tigsource.com for a little bit now. I've starting advertising good BYOND games and also tried to get Dream Maker in as a game development tool in the listings.
I would help, but I don't think I qualify for any of those (except I know PHP and HTML, but I'm no good at web design itself)
I'm perfectly capable of research and writing, but my only web design skills are HTML and CSS. However I'm not huge on the idea of committing myself to long term projects. If you're looking for intermittent help on small jobs, I might be able to contribute.
AJX wrote:
Web Host:
Requires: High speed internet & computer that is always on (...)

Alternatively: Someone who feels like donating money for a dedicated web host

Hmm. What is it that you're intending to run?
Or, in other words, if you're only out for hosting a web appearance, why not go with some of the great, yet free offers out there (I could link you to a few top ones, if you let me know about your requirements).

Asides of that, I'll go with Foomer.

Foomer wrote:
I'm perfectly capable of research and writing (...). However I'm not huge on the idea of committing myself to long term projects. If you're looking for intermittent help on small jobs, I might be able to contribute.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Could you post the free website hosts anyway?
To answer questions:

However I'm not huge on the idea of committing myself to long term projects.

Very short term. Most jobs would take any average person a few hours to accomplish. The more time consuming would still be expected to take less than 24 hours total.

Or, in other words, if you're only out for hosting a web appearance, why not go with some of the great, yet free offers out there (I could link you to a few top ones, if you let me know about your requirements).

I don't want to use free web hosts simply because they annoy me. I'd just as soon pay for the hosting myself.

One of the most important factors in determining PageRank and keyword relevance is inbound links. At the moment BYOND is missing out on at an absolute minimum over 1,000 visitors a month* because they are not high enough on Google's rankings.

*Editted: Didn't realie I said day there. lol.

This can be rectified in a few different steps.
First, BYOND needs to include some important keywords in their website. I've already talked to Tom about this and hopefully soon he will be making a few important (though aesthetically invisible) changes that will help them begin their ranking in the target keyword: 2d game maker.

Second, we need to create inbound links to BYOND that use anchor text for our keywords. This means having LEGITIMATE websites that link to BYOND, referring to it as a 2D Game Maker.

The above method is completely legitimate assuming the websites are too legitimate. If you were to do this with blank pages with links that would be considered google bombing and site spamming, both of which will bring negative consequences from Google.

What I need right now:

From my (brief) research it appears that the most relevant keyphrase with the highest traffic is 2d game maker. If any of you have some spare time and feel like finding a better one or verifying my thoughts then please feel free.

To do this all you would need to do is go to Google Trends and start punching in words. The one with the highest numbers is the one with the most traffic. If you need ideas for what keywords you could try to compare with you can use keyword generators. Google also offers one of these.

Feel free to post your results here.
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
I don't want to use free web hosts simply because they annoy me.

Uh, ok, now that's a valid reason.
Not like there is hardly a difference between a professional free and a normal paid hosting, but yeah.

AJX wrote:
To do this all you would need to do is go to Google Trends and start punching in words. The one with the highest numbers is the one with the most traffic. If you need ideas for what keywords you could try to compare with you can use keyword generators. Google also offers one of these.

I wonder, is it possible to see which keywords return to a specific page? That might be useful if you're looking at direct competitors (e.g. Game Maker, RPGMaker,...).
Well, you pay for one, and not the other.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
AJX wrote:
I don't want to use free web hosts simply because they annoy me.

Uh, ok, now that's a valid reason.
Not like there is hardly a difference between a professional free and a normal paid hosting, but yeah.

Ok. If you can find me a free web host that allows me to do whatever I want without advertisements, then please let me know. :)

Stephen001 wrote:
Well, you pay for one, and not the other.

^ Informative, as always

AJX wrote:

I wonder, is it possible to see which keywords return to a specific page? That might be useful if you're looking at direct competitors (e.g. Game Maker, RPGMaker,...).

You'll need to elaborate slightly here. What exactly are you asking?
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
Ok. If you can find me a free web host that allows me to do whatever I want without advertisements, then please let me know. :)

I remember last year I was able to block the ad script on my freewebs site. Looking on the site now, it still works, but technically it isn't correct by W3 standards.
In response to Mega fart cannon
Mega fart cannon wrote:
AJX wrote:

I remember last year I was able to block the ad script on my freewebs site. Looking on the site now, it still works, but technically it isn't correct by W3 standards.

Not interested in trying to dupe anyone.

Like I said, I have no issues with funding this myself if that is what it comes down to.
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:

One of the most important factors...

I read and re-read your post, but couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere. What is it you're looking to host?

If you just need to host a website, Neosurge offers hosting for as little as $2.95 per month. If you need a VPS (to host BYOND worlds, etc.), those will be slightly pricier. GoDaddy is fine for domain names---I'm not sure if there's anywhere cheaper but I haven't shopped around. Based on horror stories of their customer service, I wouldn't use them for any kind of hosting, but domain registry is almost foolproof.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
AJX wrote:

One of the most important factors...

I read and re-read your post, but couldn't find an answer to this question anywhere. What is it you're looking to host?

If you just need to host a website, Neosurge offers hosting for as little as $2.95 per month. If you need a VPS (to host BYOND worlds, etc.), those will be slightly pricier. GoDaddy is fine for domain names---I'm not sure if there's anywhere cheaper but I haven't shopped around. Based on horror stories of their customer service, I wouldn't use them for any kind of hosting, but domain registry is almost foolproof.

Websites. Article pages that answer questions such as 'What is the best 2d game maker'. The reason for this two fold, one is that the site itself can draw customers, two is that it will increase BYOND's ranking with the keywords we want.

Single pages with a question, an answer, and information on the topic.
I'd help if I have skills, I'm taking web design classes right now, but all i know is HTML and I use Dreamweaver CS4 alot (I also have all the other CS4's but that is not the point). I know you're looking for a free Web Host that lets you have your own Domain name and such, but Webs.com is decent, because you can use your own HTML/Other files. But it adds the .webs to your site name, unless you pay.
In response to AJX
Good free web hosting

In less than a second I found this. Take your pick.
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:

Which is exactly why I was asking what it was that you wanted to do.

I'll give you some examples.
If you need a language rich platform that comes with a lot of freedom, I would suggest Heliohost.
If you say that you want your PHP to come with a blazing speed that most paid hosting solutions have trouble competing with, then I'd suggest ByteHost (27 ms benchmark).
But these are simply examples. Searching a decent offer is always based around knowing what you intend to need, similar to how you select a programming language.

AJX wrote:
You'll need to elaborate slightly here. What exactly are you asking?

I wanted to inquire if you (or anybody reading this) knew a way to get a complete list of search terms that return a specific page during a google search.

For example, if you would look up byond.com, then you should see all the terms that have google link to BYOND.

This way, we might find search terms that BYOND's direct competitors are using, which we should consider including.
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
I wanted to inquire if you (or anybody reading this) knew a way to get a complete list of search terms that return a specific page during a google search.

This is not a complete list (See "Keywords" tab), but it [supposedly] lists the ones that drive the most traffic. Considering that 14.3% of yesterday's traffic came from search engines (see "Traffic Stats" > "Search %"), these could be of some use. Granted, there was also a 23.8% bounce percent, meaning it failed to connect with a quarter of the visitors from the first page---probably even more in the first 2-3 pages.

It looks like google.com, youtube.com, and google.com.br are the top referring sites. The linking-in page could also be useful.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
Schnitzelnagler wrote:

This is not a complete list (See "Keywords" tab), but it [supposedly] lists the ones that drive the most traffic. Considering that 14.3% of yesterday's traffic came from search engines (see "Traffic Stats" > "Search %"), these could be of some use. Granted, there was also a 23.8% bounce percent, meaning it failed to connect with a quarter of the visitors from the first page---probably even more in the first 2-3 pages.

Bounce rate means someone arrived at the site then either left via an outbound link or simply left within a certain time frame (i believe a minute or two). Not sure if that was what you were saying, yea idk.

Anyway~ This information is entirely speculated by alexa. The only person who has access to these details are the webhosts themselves. Many sites like alexa can make estimates using what information they do have, but you must take it with a grain of salt.

To truly answer your question, the only way to actually track what keywords are generating traffic you need to be the web host. You can use things like the addon for firefox called PageRank that tells you exactly where in google your site appears for what keywords, but that is about it. Specific traffic numbers that are provided by anyone other than the actual web host are not accurate.

The BYOND staff will probably let you look at their Webmaster Tools and Analytics information, but you'd have to talk to them about that.

If you want ideas for keywords you can use the keyword generation tools provided by google.
In response to Kuraudo
Considering BYOND is using Google Analytics, Tom et. al. should have access to much more precise and accurate data such as how users are entering the site, what keywords are being used if they're coming from search engines, and what the true bounce rate is (or, as true as anyone not using Ghostery and with javascript enabled). Alexa is really a bunch of crap that is speculated based on users who have a certain toolbar installed.

Also, as far as Google Analytics is concerned, the bounce rate is the percent of users that make it only to the first page, but do not go any further. If the alexa number is correct, 23.8% is really not too bad. I believe Google has said if you're at 20% you should be happy, but by 40% you should be worried. Many of my websites sit around 30%.
Page: 1 2