ID:182562

Hi guys

I have been struggling with this problem for a couple of months and I've yet to come up with a solution. I currently have high speed cable internet running to a router (ASUS's WL520gu to be exact). It's a wireless router, but I'm connecting my two PCs wired, and using the wireless very seldomly for the Wii which is a foot away from the router.

When I first upgraded my modem and internet package, I was getting download speeds of upwards of 1mb/s, but it seems that ever since I got my new router, I'm really lucky if I get over 50kb/s.

I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to my router wired, too, and I was downloading a movie from its marketplace and downloaded 10% of 1.4gb in an hour. As an experiment, I plugged it directly into the router and the remaining 90% finished in ten minutes.

I figured someone here might have a bit of network experience (looking at you, digi ;]) and wondered if anybody knew what was the problem. I've tried googling it but can't seem to find an answer.

tl;dr - my internet is very fast when plugged directly into the modem, but very slow when plugged wired into my wireless router. what gives?

Run the SpeedTest.net test on both routered and unroutered machines. If there is indeed a difference, than it is likely that there is something wrong with your router.
In response to Danial.Beta
Alright, so while I always knew there was a difference in speeds, here are cold, hard numbers:

ROUTER:
down: 437 kb/s
upload: 422 kb/s

STRAIGHT IN:
down: 4146 kb/s
upload: 895 kb/s

Ugh, I hate this router :\. Is it possible that it's the way that the router is configured? Are there any special settings I need to turn on or something?

Maybe a "don't bottleneck my internet connection" setting? :\
In response to Vortezz
It is possible that it has some packet shaping enabled, or perhaps just some bandwidth throttling. But I really know nothing about ASUS as a router company.
In response to Vortezz
Is it possible the machines connected to the router have viruses? Viruses leech bandwidth, lots of it. You should try two more tests: connect to your router, and have every other machine connected too. But have all other machines powered off, then run the speed test. And another test you could try is to unplug anything from the router, turn off the wireless signal, and directly connect your PC into the router and run a speed test. These could help determine if the problem really is your router, or possibly virus-filled leeches.
In response to Crashed
Adding on to what Crashed said, is your wireless router secure? If it is, is it using WPA, or something less secure like WEP?

Neighbors love to hop on to unsecure wireless and leech their bandwidth.
I've always assumed that wireless routers were simply slower than wired ones. My computer's download speeds probably top at around 400kb/s, and I only hit that via uTorrent. In fact, my download/upload stats probably match yours pretty well. If there is indeed some way of getting out the full 1444 download (or whatever) going with my wireless WMP54GS Linksys adapter, I'd like to know! :)

Hiead
In response to Vortezz
Vortezz wrote:
Alright, so while I always knew there was a difference in speeds, here are cold, hard numbers:

Are you sure that everything is gigabit capable? To me, it looks like that router is 10/100, not 10/100/1000.
In response to Alathon
That wouldn't matter. Inside a network, gigabit speeds make a big difference, outside they make non-at all, unless you have an ISP that gives you speeds over 100megabits.