ID:183954

It would be BYOND. This community and all that I've done within this modestly started website have had such a huge impact on my life; it's taught me a lot about not being an idiot, and I'm also deadset on getting a career in video game design solely because of how great an experience BYOND has been for me.

I first came here about 2 or 3 (maybe 4?) years ago at a suggestion from my brother, and since then I remember it as the best experience of my life. I learned so much about life just from congregating on simple games made by others within the community, and the most incomprehensible fact is that this whole website, which has had such an impact on my life (and most probably other's), was started by 2 people who simply wanted to allow people to create their own games.

This topic I'm making may seem like it's coming from out of the blue, but for the past year or so I've 'retired' from BYOND and only visit it once or twice each week for nostalgia, and it's really getting to me... I feel the need to share it with others and see if you guys do the same thing. I just log on to the first game I'd ever created, Raegon, and wander around within the game by myself and remember when I was first creating the game, aspiring to make it the best one ever.

I look at the game and realize how horrible it is, but I still love it, and so many other people enjoyed it and even today try and compliment me on it, and it just makes me feel great to think that after all these great memories I got out of BYOND, others might be getting the same thing from my game.

What really gets on my emotional side is when I think of all the good times I had and the great friends I made on Raegon, and how they're all faring now, and if they ever look back on it too.

Am I just rambling, or do others feel this way too?
One of my favorite memories of BYOND is of the first game I ever played - Fantasy Quest Online, by Darkness. Walking around, fighting stupid monsters, leveling up. It wasn't the fact that it was a great game, or that I was thrilled with any particular part of it. It was the lingering realization that I could do this too.

I also had the experience of sort of growing up on BYOND -- and I'm still having that experience, really. I've changed so much while I've used BYOND, and also because I've used BYOND. I owe a lot to the community and I feel like I'm a part of it, albeit not a very important one -- and it's definitely a part of me.
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
One of my favorite memories of BYOND is of the first game I ever played - Fantasy Quest Online, by Darkness. Walking around, fighting stupid monsters, leveling up. It wasn't the fact that it was a great game, or that I was thrilled with any particular part of it. It was the lingering realization that I could do this too.

Hey, when I first came to BYOND that game was inspiration for me too. I've wandered around Dragon-Warrior games for a few years now and still think it's great what people aspire to do. Whats really gotten me, now that I think aobut it, is: all the games I've tried creating, but gave up on; they've all come together and mixed in with the project I'm on now. To make one smooth collaboration. :D
Besides, BYOND is a huge part of my life. My dad uninstalled it one year and I felt heart-broekn. :p
Yeah, I have to agree with that.

My daily routine:

Eat->BYOND(Unless server is down)->Sleep