ID:1848513

(See the best response by Nadrew.)
So I recently bought the rights to a game from the owner. He created the original game and source, and since him giving up the game a series of rips and such are currently being hosted being his hiatus. So now that I am the owner and have bought the rights and such. I have the right to report these other servers and have them put down right?

And if I am, who or what would I have to do to report these Huds and have them put down?
Best response
The only thing that can be done is changing the hub entry's hub_password, this will remove the unauthorized servers from the listing. It won't prevent them from being hosted, though.
Right, but can I report these other illegal hosted servers? As in, they have gotten the source of the game is hosting other HUBs of it. Could I go to someone ot have them put down?

Example, Say I owned Rise of the pirates.

And I saw someone hosting a ripped version of it with another name and website, could I as the owner have it put down?
We don't really police rips, those games won't be able to obtain Published status (but fangames in general can't), there are simply not enough resources to properly investigate and manage them. It's up to developers to secure their resources, not BYOND.
So if I gained the source of any game I can still put the game up ? I think I get were you're coming from. But to think that Byond is trying to strive for a more proffesional status, yet they allow people to use taken sources and publically use them? Espically being I'm pretty sure Website admins could easily take down a Hub of a game.

To me it just sounds like theres a bit of lack of concern or not caring for people who are now in my position. I mean I saw Falacy's Iconshare be properly put up after Undefeated Sayians tried to say he created Iconshare and it was taken down off the main site.

I just wish there was some more concern esxpressed here from management other than 'hey its your fault deal with it'. But I understand the situation and the best I can do is carry it to the Byond suggestions thread.
Most "illegally" obtained sources aren't illegally obtained at all. Most of the time it's really the owner of said source distributed the source with no security measure or legally binding contract on their own free will.

When you bought the game from the owner, was there an actual purchase agreement that you and only you will be the sole owner of all development resources within the game?
If you do, get a Cease and Desist going or start taking some of the ripped game owners to court. (This requires a lawyer.) BYOND isn't a public entity that, as Nadrew stated, will police the contents users have submitted. Unless BYOND is presented with something like DMCA Cease and Desist orders. (FUNimation and Dragonball/Z/GT.)

Otherwise, most likely chance is, you're out of luck that the game you bought was released by the person you bought it from or one of their developers and there was no contract in place to protect your rights.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Maximus_Alex2003 wrote:
Most "illegally" obtained sources aren't illegally obtained at all. Most of the time it's really the owner of said source distributed the source with no security measure or legally binding contract on their own free will.

When you bought the game from the owner, was there an actual purchase agreement that you and only you will be the sole owner of all development resources within the game?
If you do, get a Cease and Desist going or start taking some of the ripped game owners to court. (This requires a lawyer.) BYOND isn't a public entity that, as Nadrew stated, will police the contents users have submitted. Unless BYOND is presented with something like DMCA Cease and Desist orders. (FUNimation and Dragonball/Z/GT.)

Otherwise, most likely chance is, you're out of luck that the game you bought was released by the person you bought it from or one of their developers and there was no contract in place to protect your rights.

He purchased a source after it had been previously purchased and publicly released. He is now going to every server threatening to shut them down. To be honest, he got ripped off and now he's upset about it. He also claims he has the rights to said game. It is a Naruto fan-game, and I'm 100% certain he doesn't have a contract with any of the copyright holders. Plain and simple, he can't do anything about it.
In response to Rod5
your best solution is develop your game better than the rips so they go to yours.
In response to Reformist
If that's the case, there's really no standing ground as they can't magically take away the code/resources of people who obtained the source prior to the purchase.

A case like this would more than likely be dismissed in most courts anyways specifically for the sole reason it's a fan-made game, but that's a judges decision to decide.

These things have been going on for ages and ages since Dragonball Zeta. I have never seen any instance that has gone to any sort of legal authority whether it's the police, court, etc. because it's nonsensical. Not because it's a fan-made game, but because the source was given out prior to purchase and so purchaser was just unfortunately suckered into making said purchase. The person selling the source could easily argue that the purchaser is being sold the source/resources for that specific build/version/copy and that prior releases are irrelevant as materials can be subject to being free one minute and costing thousands the next. It's just how business works. Rod5, sorry you got swindled. You can attempt to go the legal route and get compensation back for a "product" you bought maybe on certain grounds, but that depends on the situation and you'd have to seek an attorney to tell you you're abilities. On the other hand, don't buy pre-built source codes, especially ones built for fan-made games as this tends to have countless of flaws and issues. Instead, hire a programmer under contract.
The bottom line is that policing rips is impossible. There's no way to tell who the true owner is, especially in cases where source was sold or transferred, and anyway this kind of thing would take all our time to try to deal with it.
If you're that worried, do a charge back or PayPal dispute, get your money back and teach the guy a lesson for selling FUNimations copyrighted material..
I'm not worried.

I bought full rights and liscense to the game for good reason. Because in the end, I own every Icon this game has to offer being my ownership. I'm aware fully these other rips won't be able to publish their game like mine will be so in the end I'm happy.

I just don't like seeing these children flaunting the fact they got a leak of my game with their silly versions of it. I'm going to do some research in that if any of them have been doing some under the table Monotizing, then I think I'll have a case to take them down with a more aggressive approach.

Byond Staff may cannot police rips , but I'm pretty sure FUNimation would push them enough to do something, hopefully it doesn't come to that though.
Why not go the whole nine yards and let FUNimation know you bought a fan game from one of their IP's too, give them the details of who you bought it from as they've technically made a profit on IP that doesn't belong to them.
Even then the Icons and programming was originally programmed. So I still paid for Icons and coding. On my part though I just need to revise and take out the Naruto bits to stray away from being related to FUnimation.
In response to Rod5
Rod5 wrote:
Even then the Icons and programming was originally programmed. So I still paid for Icons and coding. On my part though I just need to revise and take out the Naruto bits to stray away from being related to FUnimation.
Naruto isnt FUNimation IP series. That viz media or JUMP. O.o
In response to DarkNinjaNaut
DarkNinjaNaut wrote:
Rod5 wrote:

I don't know how I know this, but I think FUNimation bought the rights a couple years ago or something.
In response to Kumorii
Kumorii wrote:
DarkNinjaNaut wrote:
Rod5 wrote:

I don't know how I know this, but I think FUNimation bought the rights a couple years ago or something.

They never did. It always and will be licensed to VIZ media. as stated from VIZ/Author of naruto he likes people who makes FAN games of naruto he doesn't really care about them. But making money of it we don't no for sure. But they'res alot games here that make money for a living such as DU and other shit. But hey they got passed by for many years. Making profits of a license they don't own.
In response to Rod5
Rod5 wrote:

If its even remotely based, or graphics even look.. The same its still their IP..

You've purchased someone else's material and that's illegal.

Icons cannot be "original" if they're mainly based off fictional characters that already exist..

You honestly shouldn't of bought that material both yourself and the seller have broken the law.
I've think I've come up with a solution.

If the source you bought was a Dragon Ball game, you can simply use Bulma's radar, gather the seven dragon balls and wish for all the other rips to cease hosting.

If it's a Naruto game, it'll be a bit more tricky. You must first hunt down all 9 jinchuriki and extract their tailed beasts from their bodies. Then you combine their chakras to invoke the wrath of the 10 tailed ultra beast. Then use the immense chakra of the 10 tails to cast Infinite Tsukuyomi and turn the world into a dream world where no rips exist except yours.

If you have any further questions, let me know.
Yea he bought Naruto Next Generation from Berlin and got ripped off since Berlin already sold it once and its been leaked lol.
Page: 1 2