ID:1880365

So I have been thinking of a way to combat anime rips, and I came to a conclusion of fighting Sources with Sources.

Alot of the source codes that are freely floating around (and being sold) are Anime Rip sources and there are less and less non anime sources trading hands. so I feel that there should be an influx of "free" non anime source codes to flood the source market and to stamp out the monetary gains of anime source dealing...

basically, if we can have a resource for freely avaliable source codes, we can limit the new members from falling victim to an anime source buying scam aswell as give them something different to work with for their first game instead of it being another DBZ Zeta, Naruto, etc rip...

I plan on posting the source codes of a few older games (some of them being Strai's) freely so that people can experiment with them and learn more about the DM language (Much like how I learned)

sorry if I am not making much sense, I just woke up and have yet to have my coffee
some of them being Strai's

Please don't. His habits were pretty horrible back in the day, and the worship that guy got for teaching people to program wrong is still causing problems to this day.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
some of them being Strai's

Please don't. His habits were pretty horrible back in the day, and the worship that guy got for teaching people to program wrong is still causing problems to this day.

actually, if I remember correctly, I was the only one who used to really go around talking about him being the one who got me started in programming... regardless, the sources of his I will be posting are ones that I tinkered with throughout the years since 2005... so its not directly his...

besides, Im not just only posting his sources. some are from other people, some are from old libraries that have passed on when Byond's servers changed...
Read my posts in Tutorials and snippets. You'll notice major differences between how DM was supposed to be used in 2005 and how it's used today.

Most of these anime codebases are objectively mired in concepts that were simply bad back when they were being done, and most of the stuff that we can do now cannot be taught by stuff that existed back then. Even if it were done right at the time, it'd be yet another pile of bad examples to go on the fire.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:
Read my posts in Tutorials and snippets. You'll notice major differences between how DM was supposed to be used in 2005 and how it's used today.

Most of these anime codebases are objectively mired in concepts that were simply bad back when they were being done, and most of the stuff that we can do now cannot be taught by stuff that existed back then. Even if it were done right at the time, it'd be yet another pile of bad examples to go on the fire.

Regardless if that may be, people who are new to coding in general do need a place to start, and from my past experience of teaching a small BYOND Game design course at a community center back in 2009 where I had some of the kids working with a simple RPG base I put together and while there were a few kids who struggled, alot of the other kids actually put out decent progress after a 2 month period...

I am saying that using a base to start with, you can learn at a faster rate instead of starting from scratch... and even if the technology is outdated, it still has a potential for teaching
I spend most of my time unteaching bad habits. It's harder to convince someone that everything they know is wrong when what they are doing works. What a lot of these folk don't understand is that it's not really working in an acceptable manner.

Rips have taught people not to cache data that's going to be reused later, and instead loop through EVERY object in the world looking for the one object you should already have.

They teach usr abuse.

They teach verb panel spam.

For god sakes, half of them still run at 5fps and use TILED_ICON_MAP.

Most of them subtract objects from overlays five or six different times in a row.

Half of them add 0 to stats when they mean to return.

Almost none of them use polymorphism.

All of them teach wrongly embedded behavior and variation by data changes rather than behavior.

All of them use Input() and alert() for basic user feedback.

All of them use square map elements.

None of them have interfaces that would look good from the standards of a 13 year old girl in 1997 that just "coded" her Xanga.

That's all I have left to say on the subject. Releasing bad examples doesn't help anyone. It hurts them in the long run.
Do it, why can't people just enjoy the game?
Omg i hate Tiled_Map and yes all the old anime games have it lol.
I can dig up Feed's open source too, if interested.
Being someone who started on bad source code myself, Ter's definitely right in encouraging the "do it right the first time" mentality. There are more than a couple reasons why:
  • Not only do you need to know how to create your game, you need to know how to manage it after it's created. Teaching your students to program effectively and efficiently the first time will make game management increasingly easier in the long run. Writing code that simply works is asking for a mudslide of problems down the road.
  • Byond has seen some upgrades recently that should be taught to anyone interested in making at least a half-decent game. The more you know about your tool, the better you can put it to use.

Regardless if that may be, people who are new to coding in general do need a place to start, [...]

New programmers do need a place to start. As a responsible teacher, it's up to you to choose the right starting point. Now which one are you going to choose? Point A, programming correctly from the get-go, passing up the bad practices most of us spent years unlearning. Or Point B, programming to get a fast result, only to realize you'll need to do more than that to run a stable game - a game you can enjoy without much problem.

As someone who's been there, save them the trouble and start them off at point A. You aren't doing anyone a real service otherwise.
BYOND needs more open source projects. Go for it.
^FKI has done one of the biggest improvements I've seen in this community in the shortest time. I spent a good bit of time talking with him and giving him pointers over the last year, and he's improved leaps and bounds ever since we managed to start dispelling his illusions regarding stolen/leaked source code.

The biggest part of it was yeah, he WANTED to learn. But the fact that he had suddenly had people who were pointing him toward theory and not just methodology helped minimize the amount of failure on the road to get to where he is now.

At this point, he's really taken off on his own and I haven't seen much in the way of questions. He's taught himself to fish, and boy is he fishing.
In response to Ter13
Can I get these pointers :o?
Can I get these pointers :o?

I hang around Developer Help, my collected works in Tutorials and Snippets are a good place to start, and specific questions via pager will usually result in banter and pointers.

Asking me uninvolved questions like "Can you show me how to make a jumping system?" will usually result in a price quote, and I don't work for peanuts. However, specific questions like: "I've made this jumping system, do you have any tips for improving it?" will generally result in free help. If it takes up too much time, though, I'll usually just give a general answer and attempt to aid you in the implementation in short spurts.
In response to Ter13
Really appreciate the kind words. I try to keep productivity in my schedule.

While we're on come up stories, I gotta say, yours is really inspiring. I only really became familiar with you within the last year. Before that, you came off to me as a know-it-all at times. But it's never that simple. Over time, I learned a little about Ter13 and how he came to be the knowledgeable person he is today. It added to the fire in me that pushes me to be better in all that I do and aspire to.

Although I don't get frequent this forum all that much, you, among others, are abundant sources of knowledge and generally a great help, and that's something I can definitely appreciate when I do come 'round.

@Ganite: The majority if not all of the pointers I've gotten from Ter and others are in Developer Help somewhere. That section is a knowledge goldmine.
seems like my post with all the links got deleted...

In response to Kozuma3
Iuma3 wrote:
Do it, why can't people just enjoy the game?

I'm with you. The bigger knowledge base the better.

People are putting to much effort against people trying to help byond. I'm not even getting too involved in this but people standing against stuff like this is just silly.
People are putting to much effort against people trying to help byond. I'm not even getting too involved in this but people standing against stuff like this is just silly.

I think it's probably because he doesn't have explicit permission to distribute.
In response to Ter13
Ter13 wrote:

I think it's probably because he doesn't have explicit permission to distribute.

well they were released by the developer to be downloaded and modified. so I would assume that is enough permission to post the files here...

so whoever deleted my posts that had the links in it was in the wrong as these were free to use source codes that were distributed by the person who developed them...

anyway I have been drinking and am really wasted right now... so tomorrow I will repost the links
Page: 1 2 3 4