ID:1894639

Hey guys so I conquered my fears of iconning and I am doing well. Now I just thought of using sprites for my game from like a website. My question is, what website is the best and what program could I use to do so. I have a 32x32 icon base and am scared that i'd have to go through a grueling process. Could I use the regular paint program that is default on my computer. And if there is a specific console I have to look for which is it. Also some tips would be nice so that I don't think it's super easy to do all this.
I do most of my work in MSpaint, though Paint.Net is good if you absolutely need layers. GIMP is better for graphic art than Paint.Net, but some people do pixel with it.

Some people swear by Graphics Gale, and some people use photoshop.

Some artists also work out of svg format and then rasterize it before they import it into their game, but svg really doesn't work well for anything but sidescrollers if you are working in the pixel medium.

It's really up to your personal tastes.

As for using websites... OpenGameArt is a great resource. If you are using copyrighted art that hasn't been released under a copyleft license, you are looking for trouble.
What do you mean by absolutely need layers
Some image editing software allows you to work on graphics using layers, meaning the image is split up into sequential sheets that are merged into a single image in order on export.

If you aren't familiar with them, you've never used an image editor.
well ofcourse I havent, but I understand what you mean
http://pixlr.com/editor/

This is a web-browser based image editor. You can also download it as a client too. It works fairly similar to GIMP.